Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is always risk when trading up, unless it’s the next pick. Pretty easy to say in hindsight it’s a waste. You win some, you lose and I thought moving up for Curtis was a win.

For all we know another club might have been sniffing around Bergman and he was the kid we wanted. Literally everyone on this forum has NFI what happens on draft night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m not sure why we bother having a recruiting dept & list manager at all… we should just let all the BigFooty armchair experts take care of draft night.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not sure why we bother having a recruiting dept & list manager at all… we should just let all the BigFooty armchair experts take care of draft night.
I mean why bother with watching them for a few years when you can just watch a highlights clip. We could employ Lynch under the soft cap if we removed recruiting staff altogether giving us that extra vital rookie selection which will be critical to our next flag

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I mean why bother with watching them for a few years when you can just watch a highlights clip. We could employ Lynch under the soft cap if we removed recruiting staff altogether giving us that extra vital rookie selection which will be critical to our next flag
The same people would have been melting last year when we took Lazzaro ahead of some ‘sliders’
Maybe… just maybe, our recruiters have a little bit more knowledge then Joe Blow who has watched some highlight clips whilst taking a dump.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The same people would have been melting last year when we took Lazzaro ahead of some ‘sliders’
Maybe… just maybe, our recruiters have a little bit more knowledge then Joe Blow who has watched some highlight clips whilst taking a dump.
If you watch one player, but not the other, then how can you rank them? There in lies my point, very few have the capacity to watch them all thus making the criticism around here largely irrelevant on this front

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Probably just me, but I prefer the North Melbourne draftee style. No excitement, no girls in bikini tops, just down to earth apathy.

That trademark NMFC nonplussed look, the look you'd get if someone just said "hey you know it's 17 degrees tomorrow" and you can't even muster a response.

That special "30 seconds before you're actually selected" look that all our guys seem to master.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Dean particularly seemed like a bit of a no-brainer today for a rookie spot.

Just hope we don't find ourselves scrambling for someone come mid preseason if one of our 3 KPDs has an injury.

We've clearly chosen this path with our eyes open. No PSD option is going to fix it midseason for us.

From afar I'd have rather seen what Charlie Dean could do for our club over getting Tom Lynch through the doors but that's said from a great distance without knowing any particulars.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I cant believe how light on we are for key talls. We addressed it to an extent with CCJ and Edwards (but they are primarily rucks). Not getting a replacement for Robbie is baffling.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We've clearly chosen this path with our eyes open. No PSD option is going to fix it midseason for us.

From afar I'd have rather seen what Charlie Dean could do for our club over getting Tom Lynch through the doors but that's said from a great distance without knowing any particulars.

It's pretty fascinating to see it play out.

If Corr & Mckay stay fit, it doesn't matter.

If one or god forbid, both go down...

FWIW, I'm most concerned about 2022 with this, as we can trade/FA next year. Bazzo would make zero difference from a 2022 perspective, he'd get absolutely ragdolled. Dean is one that probably could hold his own in 2022 if required to due to injury.

McKay is our most important player for the 2022 season because he is such a single point of failure.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe that's their thinking? X and Comben are versatile enough to cover all bases?
They have said McGuiness will play back and if required play Bonar or Young as a small 3rd. They said they would like to recruit a KPD but werent too concerned

Probably just me, but I prefer the North Melbourne draftee style. No excitement, no girls in bikini tops, just down to earth apathy.

That trademark NMFC nonplussed look, the look you'd get if someone just said "hey you know it's 17 degrees tomorrow" and you can't even muster a response.

That special "30 seconds before you're actually selected" look that all our guys seem to master.

I think if you look surprised to be on a list then that might be the highlight of your career. :p

They have said McGuiness will play back and if required play Bonar or Young as a small 3rd. They said they would like to recruit a KPD but werent too concerned
Just force feed McGuiness whey protein for six months and he can be our fourth kpd.

Back