Review 2021 AFL National Draft (Part 2) | NM - JHF, GOAT, PCurtis, MBergman, JArcher

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
McKay is our most important player for the 2022 season because he is such a single point of failure.

That's where the list managers will need to be held to account if the reliance on him goes up to such an extent it breaks him.

They realistically had 5 chances (Greenwood, 3 x ND, 1 x rookie) to secure a break-glass option (I'm treating JHF, Goater and CCJ as mandatory selections) but all other list spots we've filled were at an opportunity cost to listing a KPD instead.

We might and I hope we do get away with going to reliant on so few in 2022.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
20211126_160255.jpg

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From memory, Luff got quite prickly in the Q&A when asked about our lack of quality intercept defenders & where we were going to find one.
Old luffy gets prickly pretty easy these days but yeah he stated the preference to retsin tarrant but werent going to pick a stop gap. We might have someone in mind next year.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We might have someone in mind next year.

My guess is we don't have someone earmarked this far out (hinging our 2023 structure would be fraught with risk if we did) but are treating as a position you can make up ground on quickly, a la ruck.

Plenty of decent KPDs circulate around the AFL or emerge as mature agers from the state leagues so am assuming we treated 2021 as one final swing at the best available talent pool until we'll HAVE to address the list gap.

Any potential break glass options beyond the four stated KPDs on our list?

Lynch at 192cm? Not real likely as he has never played there, is more a natural half-forward flanker and he's a tad on the short side.

Comben? Definitely an option, but I see him as a natural roaming CHF. Don't think he's played much there before either, but he has the right tools to be versatile and play back.

Bonar? Very undersized, but he has an honest crack. Not a great KPD option if we are being honest. I still like him as that medium lockdown type with the booming kick and burst of speed.

Lachie Young? Slightly taller than Bonar, but very slender still. Seems better suited to defence than wing and I think he's more than capable of playing taller like an Easton Wood, especially if he beefs up a tad. Like Bonar, he has played on much bigger boys on the last line of defence at VFL level on occasion and didn't disgrace himself.

Goater? 190cm, quick and can intercept. Raw as anything and lacks the endurance base atm. I doubt he will be getting AFL-level games for the first half of the year.

*I think we've got to look at the Port model in how they run a pretty good defence having smaller KPDs. Jonas is only 188cm, Clurey 193cm, Allir 196cm and Trent McKenzie at 191cm.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

Lynch at 192cm? Not real likely as he has never played there, is more a natural half-forward flanker and he's a tad on the short side.

Comben? Definitely an option, but I see him as a natural roaming CHF. Don't think he's played much there before either, but he has the right tools to be versatile and play back.

Bonar? Very undersized, but he has an honest crack. Not a great KPD option if we are being honest. I still like him as that medium lockdown type with the booming kick and burst of speed.

Lachie Young? Slightly taller than Bonar, but very slender still. Seems better suited to defence than wing and I think he's more than capable of playing taller like an Easton Wood, especially if he beefs up a tad. Like Bonar, he has played on much bigger boys on the last line of defence at VFL level on occasion and didn't disgrace himself.

Goater? 190cm, quick and can intercept. Raw as anything and lacks the endurance base atm. I doubt he will be getting AFL-level games for the first half of the year.

*I think we've got to look at the Port model in how they run a pretty good defence having smaller KPDs. Jonas is only 188cm, Clurey 193cm, Allir 196cm and Trent McKenzie at 191cm.

I liked the idea of Xerri someone mentioned earlier. He's aggressive, I think he could be a handy asset parked in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's where the list managers will need to be held to account if the reliance on him goes up to such an extent it breaks him.

They realistically had 5 chances (Greenwood, 3 x ND, 1 x rookie) to secure a break-glass option (I'm treating JHF, Goater and CCJ as mandatory selections) but all other list spots we've filled were at an opportunity cost to listing a KPD instead.

We might and I hope we do get away with going to reliant on so few in 2022.

Clearly, our recruiting team didn't rate Bazzo.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
McKay is our most important player for the 2022 season because he is such a single point of failure.

For a flag perhaps but for a rebuild season we have McGuiness who the club indicate is 197cm as 4th KPD.

Not sure about what weight he is atm but the club obviously think he he a better option than an 18 year old draftee or Sam Skinner or Durdin.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Clearly, our recruiting team didn't rate Bazzo.

Assumedly. We seemed to pick best available with a bit of 'needs' in the 30s picks which isn't a bad way to finalise the foundation of the list.

Would guess they know there's now a risk of relying on McKay (tick), Walker (limited but honest) and Corr (career availability issues) tempered slightly by it being most likely being another development year.

Can't comment on Bazzo other than lots of posters seemed to like him. No idea if we'd have ruled him out on ability or flight risk.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nick Larkey spent a fair bit of time back as a junior. Would probably never come to that but he could spend some time down there ala young Drew Petrie.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I liked the idea of Xerri someone mentioned earlier. He's aggressive, I think he could be a handy asset parked in defence.
X is slow as molasses and has the turning circle of the QE2. He is a aggressive ruckman with some handy ruck craft, the only benefit to the defence would be as a ruckman sitting in the hole and taking a clunker or if his direct opponents football boots were made of concrete

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mckay, Corr and Goater as the three tall defenders is my preference.
If we are playing a team with a super tall forward line Walker comes in for Goater.
I felt we were slow in defence last year with Taz, Mckay and Walker all playing.
This should be a better set up IMO.
More run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back