Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
High picks do matter but really, look at the most recent dominant team in Richmond. Yeah, sure they have some high picks, but really it was a squad that had excellent defensive culture and everyone bought in. Dusty was pick 3, Riewoltd pick 8 (I think?) and the rest were pretty much mid first rounders, but they were really well developed.

You start winning, with a good culture, and dudes like Lynch say 'I'll come to your team, win a flag and finish top 5 in the Coleman for a few years and extend the life of your aging stars'.
Agree with the general argument, but Cotchin was pick 2 (Riewoldt was #13 btw)

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Souup he’s got your boy goater going around our 2nd rounder

Don't sleep on the GOAT. 190cm, elite acceleration, speed and vertical leap. Improved as the year has progressed (19 disposal average over first 3 NAB league games, 27 touches in his last 3, played very well in the Country-Metro trial game.

Excellent hands in the contest, one touch player below the knees, versatile.

Definitely has his weaknesses, namely his defensive pressure in the contest, hitting the scoreboard and tidying up his kicking (technique is fine)

2nd rounder is way too late - if he's there at our second rounder it'll be ridiculous in the best way possible.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Souup, how does next years crop compare to this years as far as potential first rounders will go?

I ask as there is a logic in trading out next years first to get another top 10 this year, speeding up the rebuild in essence, but that would depend on the perceived value in the 2022 crop vs this years, plus finding a club that would be willing to trade. Getting say Gibcus and Sinn would be a super draft for us.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
IF we finished with pick #1 and IF Daicos was genuinely open-minded about where he went, would there be any argument about talking him into entering the open draft a la Marc Murphy with the assurance we draft him?

This is assuming Daicos as a Victorian in an open draft is a genuine consideration to take ahead of Horne.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
July Edition

Interesting.

No Van Rooyen
No Josh Fahey
No Ned Long

Two players who seem to be highly rated who I can’t quite wrap my head around are Arlo Draper from SA and Campbell Chesser.

Arlo just seems injury prone and unable to get on the park for any sort of consistency while I’ve watched Chesser play (once) and his kicking wasn’t all that crash hot. In the game I watched he definitely didn’t strike me as a top 15 pick.

Still find it perplexing that Sam Banks continues to fall. He’d be right up there with the best kicks I’ve seen in this draft. Had the decision making to match as well.

Interesting.

No Van Rooyen
No Josh Fahey
No Ned Long

Two players who seem to be highly rated who I can’t quite wrap my head around are Arlo Draper from SA and Campbell Chesser.

Arlo just seems injury prone and unable to get on the park for any sort of consistency while I’ve watched Chesser play (once) and his kicking wasn’t all that crash hot. In the game I watched he definitely didn’t strike me as a top 15 pick.

Still find it perplexing that Sam Banks continues to fall. He’d be right up there with the best kicks I’ve seen in this draft. Had the decision making to match as well.
Banks is the one I want at our second round pick. Could use his skill and class off the half back line.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Banks is the one I want at our second round pick. Could use his skill and class off the half back line.

Something is wrong with the development of the Tassie lads. Considering it is a state that lives and breathes footy, there should be more talent coming out of there.

Sam Banks, Oliver Davis, Oliver Sanders and Jye Menzie all look more than capable to my eye.

Sam Collins was another one last year that ended up going un drafted.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
IF we finished with pick #1 and IF Daicos was genuinely open-minded about where he went, would there be any argument about talking him into entering the open draft a la Marc Murphy with the assurance we draft him?

This is assuming Daicos as a Victorian in an open draft is a genuine consideration to take ahead of Horne.
Channelling Damo?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we finish last it means we’ve lost to an out of form, depleted Richmond, and a very sh*t team in the Crows. If this is the case we’re going to need way more than Horne and a PSD.

If we win 3 of our last 4, then our rebuild is close.

Stop wanting us to lose. It’s stupid.

So our rebuild is nearly complete ?

What happens in the next 2 years when Goldy, Cunners, Ziebell, Tarrant, Hall, retire ?

We are ninth melbourne again.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne

OMG that would be good.
Collingwood traded out there first for daicos.
If he then didnt come its another collingwood first down the toilet.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What happens in the next 2 years when Goldy, Cunners, Ziebell, Tarrant, Hall, retire ?

We still get a first pick every year and with respect to a couple of them, they are role players atm.

Corr was recruited as cover for Taz.

Goldstein is the biggest problem of that group.

Cunnington already has plenty of replacements.

We could definately use with an elite CHB and half back prospect in the next 2 drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Souup, how does next years crop compare to this years as far as potential first rounders will go?

I ask as there is a logic in trading out next years first to get another top 10 this year, speeding up the rebuild in essence, but that would depend on the perceived value in the 2022 crop vs this years, plus finding a club that would be willing to trade. Getting say Gibcus and Sinn would be a super draft for us.

I'll be honest - I barely look at the next crop until after the draft this year. I'll go back and re-watch games and footage to get a start at the end of this year but at this stage, I don't have any great insight as my main focus is the current draft crop for each year.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Don't sleep on the GOAT. 190cm, elite acceleration, speed and vertical leap. Improved as the year has progressed (19 disposal average over first 3 NAB league games, 27 touches in his last 3, played very well in the Country-Metro trial game.

Excellent hands in the contest, one touch player below the knees, versatile.

Definitely has his weaknesses, namely his defensive pressure in the contest, hitting the scoreboard and tidying up his kicking (technique is fine)

2nd rounder is way too late - if he's there at our second rounder it'll be ridiculous in the best way possible.

Probably jump on late after champs and testing

Goldy: Rucks are over rated. Go back and look at the last half dozen premiership rucks. Besides, we have Xerri and Edwards.

Cunners: Not sure if you've noticed Phillips and Powell

JZ: Yeah, a midsized defender is holding us back from being a top side!!

Taz: We have Corr but sure a we need another tall defender. Dont need the first pick to find one.

Hall: Perez, Bonar, Atu, and Hayden. Yeah, how the hell are we going to cover him.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We still get a first pick every year and with respect to a couple of them, they are role players atm.

Corr was recruited as cover for Taz.

Goldstein is the biggest problem of that group.

Cunnington already has plenty of replacements.

We could definately use with an elite CHB and half back prospect in the next 2 drafts.

You dont flick the rebuild switch on and off after a few wins.

At the start of the year, we announced we are in rebuild mode.

And after every loss, the club said stick with north, we are rebuilding....

Now with 3 wins, you think the rebuild is nearly finished ?

LOL

Who have we beaten ? Bulldogs, Melbourne and Geelong ?

The wins have been great in giving the team belief and the supporters, hope.

But we still have a fair way to go, to rebuild this squad.

Remember, we dont want a team that is middle of the road again.

We had enough of that with Scott in charge.

We want a squad that can one day win the flag again.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

yes the rebuild will be complete.

What you are talking about is the year on year renewal of the playing list as people retire.

That component of list management is an ongoing process that continues even during a rebuild. Regardless of the rebuild, which involved the replacement of players that were not up to scratch; replacements for those mentioned have to be found. Some will be replaced by those youngsters that survive the culling process that is AFL football. For example Xeri may be Goldie's replacement and Powell may be Cunnington's replacement.

Regardless, win everything you can and build belief. Chasing after some saviour by the #1 pick is almost as deluded as thinking that Kelly is our saviour through trading.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I agree with you. Talks that our rebuild is finished or almost finished are way too premature. When we're at the stage that 7 or 8 injuries mean we're still a top 8 side because we've got the depth to compensate, then I'll consider our rebuild complete.

My view is that you should not trade out of the first or second round of a draft until you've already made the top 4 and your list has enough young talent to compensate for it. Even then, I'd be extremely stingy when it comes to trading away top picks for a player because I feel it's vital for a club to consistently have young talent coming in to reinvigorate the group and ensure there's a good age spread.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Souup Now that you've had a little bit more time to look at the curent crop where do you think Jacob Edwards would've placed?

I'd have him in the late teens only because he hasn't played since round 4.

The more games a draftee plays the better gauge you get on where they fall in relation to their peers and what their actual vs potential ability looks like, along with tracking their rate of improvement. While he played some very good games at NAB League level in his 3 games earlier this year, it's not enough to push him into top 10 . He's still very raw and is mostly potential at this point.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only good thing about tarrant being out for the majority of the year is that its proven we don't really depend on him that much in the backline.
Mckay, zieb and walker doing ok as interceptors but I agree with others on here we really need some more talls in that department to sure up the rebuild.
Unless we've decided to bring in mature players like we did with Corr/Walker.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only good thing about tarrant being out for the majority of the year is that its proven we don't really depend on him that much in the backline.
Mckay, zieb and walker doing ok as interceptors but I agree with others on here we really need some more talls in that department to sure up the rebuild.
Unless we've decided to bring in mature players like we did with Corr/Walker.

They aren’t elite intercept marks though.

Gibcus looks like he could play as that half back interceptor behind Corr and McKay moving forward.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with you. Talks that our rebuild is finished or almost finished are way too premature. When we're at the stage that 7 or 8 injuries mean we're still a top 8 side because we've got the depth to compensate, then I'll consider our rebuild complete.

My view is that you should not trade out of the first or second round of a draft until you've already made the top 4 and your list has enough young talent to compensate for it. Even then, I'd be extremely stingy when it comes to trading away top picks for a player because I feel it's vital for a club to consistently have young talent coming in to reinvigorate the group and ensure there's a good age spread.
I guess for me it depends on where Harvey is supposed to land next year.
If he turns out to be a top 5-10 talent then its just getting value for our pick before we inevitably have to match a bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back