Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own highly uneducated 10 cents worth after reading copious pages of this thread. After assessing the various strengths and weakness' of various draft picks and being blinded (clearly for very good reason) like so many throughout the year by the allure of Jason Horne I've changed my mind.

With the strong belief now that we won't get the wooden spoon, I guess I've decided to dig a little deeper and assess in terms of the list management requirements. With all of that in mind I also feel like the player that we should select is Gibcus. An elite KPD just seems the obvious choice moving forward. Of course I wouldn't be disappointed to get Horne.

Hearing GWS’ Recruiter talk about him today, he sounds like he’s generating a lot of excitement amongst recruiters.

I think it’s a lock that we have Horne, Gibcus or Callaghan on our list next year.

We need a bit more althetic ruck (no
Hearing GWS’ Recruiter talk about him today, he sounds like he’s generating a lot of excitement amongst recruiters.

I think it’s a lock that we have Horne, Gibcus or Callaghan on our list next year.
How likely is that we beat Richmond and then Adelaide in the final round?

Because if we do that then we are half a chance to end up 14th and get pick 5.

We need a bit more althetic ruck (no

How likely is that we beat Richmond and then Adelaide in the final round?

Because if we do that then we are half a chance to end up 14th and get pick 5.
Cunnington out for the remainder of the season does change the likelihood of that scenario

Have a look at the predictability of our last two years' recruiting before you go writing about locks. And the champs haven't happened yet.

Steavo pick 6
JZ pick 9
LDU pick 4
Cunnington pick 5
LMac pick 8
Simpkin pick 12
Polec pick 5
Bonar pick 11
Tyson pick 3
Phillips pick 3
Hall pick 7, preseason

Plus
Taz 15
Corr pick 14
Garnor pick 15

yes
and Goldy 37
BB 47
and Larkey 73, and Zurhaar a rookie

Hey mate, if Adelaide want Horne...would you consider trading pick 1 for two inside top 6 deal if Crows could find a way to work it?

Hey mate, just to save Souup from replying to the same question, see below for the reply regarding this question a bit earlier in the thread.

Hey Souup purely hypothetical, and this may have been asked already, but if we end up with pick #1 and GWS offer up picks #3 and #7, would you be taking that deal?

I think Horne will be something special, but the possibility of picking up Gibcus and Sinn as future replacements for Tarrant and Hall would be super tempting I reckon.
I'd want that and more - throw in a second round at the very least and you'd give it a thought

yes
and Goldy 37
BB 47
and Larkey 73, and Zurhaar a rookie
I reckon if you look at those dynasty teams they have their diamonds in the rough that are just as important as their high picks. Pick 1 or 4 isnt going to make that much difference to our side, but nailing the picks we have, that will.

Last edited:
ERASMUS IN OPEN POOL

MIDFIELD talent Neil Erasmus won't have ties to any club in this year's NAB AFL Draft after West Coast's bid to add him to its Next Generation Academy.

Erasmus, who comes from South African descent and plays for Subiaco in the WAFL in the Eagles' NGA zone, was a talented junior cricketer but set his sights on an AFL career after West Coast's involvement in bringing him to the football talent pathway.

However, the Eagles have not been able to list him as a member of their Next Generation Academy after an AFL ruling.

It is highly unlikely West Coast would have had access to Erasmus even if he was a late addition to its NGA program due to the new rules allowing clubs to match NGA bids only after pick 20.

Erasmus, a 188cm midfielder who can also play as a forward, is viewed by many clubs as a potential top-10 pick and the leading prospect in Western Australia. He has averaged 28 disposals in the Colts competition.

There has not been a player named Neil play an AFL game since former Eagle Neil Marshall, who last ran out for West Coast in round 18, 1998. – Callum Twomey

ERASMUS IN OPEN POOL

MIDFIELD talent Neil Erasmus won't have ties to any club in this year's NAB AFL Draft after West Coast's bid to add him to its Next Generation Academy.

Erasmus, who comes from South African descent and plays for Subiaco in the WAFL in the Eagles' NGA zone, was a talented junior cricketer but set his sights on an AFL career after West Coast's involvement in bringing him to the football talent pathway.

However, the Eagles have not been able to list him as a member of their Next Generation Academy after an AFL ruling.

It is highly unlikely West Coast would have had access to Erasmus even if he was a late addition to its NGA program due to the new rules allowing clubs to match NGA bids only after pick 20.

Erasmus, a 188cm midfielder who can also play as a forward, is viewed by many clubs as a potential top-10 pick and the leading prospect in Western Australia. He has averaged 28 disposals in the Colts competition.

There has not been a player named Neil play an AFL game since former Eagle Neil Marshall, who last ran out for West Coast in round 18, 1998. – Callum Twomey

Breaking: Neil Erasmus alleged to have stolen a car and left home

December 2021: "with selection 12 in the 2021 rookie draft West Coast select Neil Erasmus"

ERASMUS IN OPEN POOL

Ha ha, as I read that I was literally thinking to myself "Who was the last Neil to play AFL?". Thought it might be Neil Cordy, don't remember Neil Marshall and his 4 games at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steavo pick 6
JZ pick 9
LDU pick 4
Cunnington pick 5
LMac pick 8
Simpkin pick 12
Polec pick 5
Bonar pick 11
Tyson pick 3
Phillips pick 3
Hall pick 7, preseason

Plus
Taz 15
Corr pick 14
Garnor pick 15

Thomas 8, Powell 13. McKay 21 (tho still our first round for that year), Atley 17 or 18. Even Anderson swapped from GWS academy for a hawthorn player from pick 15 or so iirc.

Might even be another one I'm missing.

Thomas 8, Powell 13. McKay 21 (tho still our first round for that year), Atley 17 or 18. Even Anderson swapped from GWS academy for a hawthorn player from pick 15 or so iirc.

Might even be another one I'm missing.
Not sure how I left out TT!

Add to dusty and riewoldt and you have another 4 top 10 picks

Cotchin pick 2
Vlastuin pick 9
caddy pick 7,
grimes pick 2

Then you have some you'd redraft in top 10 like Rance and Houli... and a few others.

I'm not saying anything is a certainty, but this year is a dead rubber, with very very little expectation. Unlike next year and every year after that for the next decade.

Play the kids, give us one last pull into the real talent pool and lets go get that dynasty.

Grimes was pick 2 in the PSD mate

Not sure how I left out TT!
I've been following the numbers with this since about 2017. After 2018 with Tyson, Polec and even Hall (and LDU and Ahern) the year earlier our numbers of first rounders started to increase noticeably. there is a definite improvement in our drafting and recruitment since before 2018.

As much as I like to see Melbourne getting screwed, this still irritates me no end.

The Jamarra Rule?

Where was the Heeney rule? The Mills rule? The Blakey rule? The Campbell rule?

Those absolute ****s get a free bonus hit at elite 1st round talent year after year, but a Victorian club pulling an academy rabbit out of the hat just the once forced an entire restructure of the non-NSW/QLD academy systems.

The WA, SA and Vic clubs should be pistol whipped for being so weak to let this happen.

As much as I like to see Melbourne getting screwed, this still irritates me no end.

The Jamarra Rule?

Where was the Heeney rule? The Mills rule? The Blakey rule? The Campbell rule?

Those absolute ****s get a free bonus hit at elite 1st round talent year after year, but a Victorian club pulling an academy rabbit out of the hat just the once forced an entire restructure of the non-NSW/QLD academy systems.

The WA, SA and Vic clubs should be pistol whipped for being so weak to let this happen.

Yeah apparently it is a 'rare' occurrence. Must use a different dictionary.

subscriber-breach-pixel
A club recruiter has labelled one of this year’s top draft prospects as Joel Selwood with more tricks. Plus the Bulldogs’ father-son dilemma and all the latest trade news.

Joel Selwood but with an overhead marking game.
That is the lofty wrap on SA tyro Jason Horne, and it comes from someone who should know.
AFL veteran Troy Selwood, who of course is Joel’s brother, has given him that lofty wrap after watching his progress over the season.

Selwood has now moved to the Collingwood recruiting team after working at the Cats in recent years.

Horne could still go at No.1 in the draft but is certain to be in the top three alongside father-son prospects Sam Darcy and Nick Daicos.

Horne has played at senior level in the SANFL for some time now and has a brilliant mix of clearance power, elite kicking skills and the capacity to take big overhead marks.

NAB AFL Academy vs Geelong VFL team at GMHBA Stadium. 24/04/2021. Jason Horne of the NAB AFL Academy. Pic: Michael Klein

NAB AFL Academy vs Geelong VFL team at GMHBA Stadium. 24/04/2021. Jason Horne of the NAB AFL Academy. Pic: Michael Klein

The Pies could have had the chance to secure Horne and Daicos had they kept their own first-rounder and it fell to No.1 overall.

So, instead, the Hawks and North Melbourne will join GWS as contenders to secure Horne.

His capacity to play at SANFL League level gives clubs confidence he will be able to make an immediate impact.

The Roos sure aren’t tanking for Horne, and their history shows that it is the right approach.
They won their final game of 2017 against Brisbane, which meant the Lions finished last and the Roos finished 15th instead.

They took Luke Davies-Uniacke - the Lions took Cam Rayner - and although Rayner is a brilliant player, Davies-Uniacke is exploding this year.

Adelaide has given up hope of trading up for Horne given how highly he is rated by clubs with early picks.

How father-son gun could affect Dad’s position
The Western Bulldogs know Sam Darcy has plenty of development in him, but they will match a bid for him in a heartbeat.

But will it impact father Luke’s position on the Western Bulldogs board?

He has handled his conflict of interest with the Dogs well, despite his Channel 7 commentary duties even as the issue of Peter Moore potentially joining the Pies board while son Darcy plays at Collingwood was raised.

Given Darcy’s initial contract would be a mandatory two-year deal, Luke would have no influence on any dealings with his son.

Eventually he would have to recuse himself if Sam’s contract came up at board level - however unlikely - but that would be many years down the track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back