Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we finish just outside the eight then players such as Jacob Van Rooyen and Cooper Murley would be more in our range.

Jacob Van Rooyen has been likened to Wayne Carey.

Jacob Van Rooyen = The Flying Rooman

View attachment 1028625
Maybe that’s why we’ve gone all out mids this year, he’s our target next year.

Actually, if you think about it, maybe this is our strategy.
Most of the bottom sides targeted KPP and flankers in this draft because of the midfield riches in 2021.

Whereas we solely targeted mids this year so in 2021 we can let the other clubs scramble over the midfielders and we take all the best KPP’s.

Ahhh Brady you’ve done it again!..

Maybe that’s why we’ve gone all out mids this year, he’s our target next year.

Actually, if you think about it, maybe this is our strategy.
Most of the bottom sides targeted KPP and flankers in this draft because of the midfield riches in 2021.

Whereas we solely targeted mids this year so in 2021 we can let the other clubs scramble over the midfielders and we take all the best KPP’s.

Ahhh Brady you’ve done it again!..

i'd expect us to finish bottom 6 and to take one of the top mids again, the top 6 smaller players next year look strong

i'd expect us to finish bottom 6 and to take one of the top mids again, the top 6 smaller players next year look strong
If we finish bottom 6 and overlook the next Carey (IF he’s available at our pick of course), I’ll personally pay postage costs for everyone to send me their membership cards and live stream a bulk Microwave ritual like some Richmond nuffie circa 2014..

I don’t understand how someone likened to Carey isn’t favourite for the number 1 pick by the length of the Flemington straight.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn’t read too much into it. I can liken myself to an AFL player, based on my size, build, kicking ability etc. but it doesn’t mean I’m any good. We need to come up with our own assessment on every player available.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The top AFL draft prospects to watch in 2021
It’s never too early to look at the kids who could be the next AFL stars. Among the 2021 draft crop are some celebrated footy names.

Jordan Pinto, Dan Batten and Matt Turner
December 20, 2020 - 10:20AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

As one draft crop enters the AFL system, another is just getting started.

The 2021 draft pool is set to be the biggest we have seen as competitions like the NAB League shift to under-19s and early indications suggest that high-quality talent will be on offer.

It is one reason why clubs opted to trade out of the 2020 draft which had a great deal of uncertainty surrounding it.

Geelong and Richmond, in particular, didn’t play a major role last Wednesday night, but they should be very happy with their current hand for next year.

While 2021 draft eligible prospects from Victoria were denied the opportunity to show their wares as bottom-agers, many already turned heads at the under-16 national championships in 2019.

Meanwhile, young guns from other states, like South Australian pick one contender Jason Horne, were able to get a year of footy under their belt ahead of their draft year.

Which top-age players should we keep an eye out for in 2021?

JOSH RACHELE
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Midfielder/forward, 179cm/77kg

Rachele claimed the Kevin Sheehan Medal as the best player at the under-16 national carnival and got a taste of NAB League footy in 2019 for Murray Bushrangers against players two years his senior. A damaging midfielder/forward with an array of weapons, Rachele showed he was already capable at the level in his four games for the Bushrangers, averaging 17.8 disposals, 3.0 inside 50s, 107 ranking points and two goals per game. It is understood some clubs rated Rachele among the top talents taken in the 2020 draft and he looms as a number one pick contender next year.

TYLER SONSIE
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
Midfielder/forward, 181cm, 84kg

The MVP of a star-studded Vic Metro line-up at the under-16 carnival, Sonsie had a devastating impact in the final game, tallying 19 disposals and booting four majors – including three snaps from tight angles. Sonsie brings X-Factor, has a nice kick and is a prolific ball-winner. He featured in six NAB League last year for the Ranges and held his spot during all three of their finals.

JOSH SINN
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Midfielder/defender, 186cm, 72kg

Sinn is extremely classy in traffic and takes the game on with his evasive skills and penetrating left boot. The Sandringham product excelled across halfback and through the middle for Vic Metro at the under-16 carnival, earning All-Australian honours and averaging 17 touches, 4.3 intercept possessions and 96 ranking points. One who is going to be a favourite of draft followers next year.

CAMPBELL CHESSAR
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country
Defender/midfielder, 185cm, 78kg

Partnering Sinn on the other back-flank of the U16 All Australian team was Chessar, who possesses electrifying speed and uses it to his advantage. A line-breaking defender who is a good interceptor, Chessar has also tried his hand as an inside-midfielder, where his contested ball-winning and burst has stood out.

NICK DAICOS
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Midfielder, 182cm, 77kg

Daicos has attracted more attention than any player in the 2021 draft pool due to his famous surname but also his talent. The Collingwood father-son prospect, who is the brother of Magpies wingman Josh, has been touted as one of the top prospects in the pool, with his exquisite ball-use and ability to hit the scoreboard as a midfielder being his standout traits. Magpies fans will be eagerly watching the progress of Daicos in 2021.

BRADEN ANDREWS
Midfielder, 189cm, 83kg

Andrews is a tall midfielder with great agility. The Chargers ball-winner has a knack for winning the ball cleanly, weaving his way out of congestion and finding targets by hand. Expect Andrews to be one of the key pillars in the Oakleigh midfield next season – big shoes to fill following Chargers graduates and top three selections Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson and Will Phillips.

ALEX LUKIC
Key forward, 195cm, 86kg

In a draft class dominated by midfielders, Lukic brings something different to the table as an athletic and mobile key forward. Lukic slotted nine goals in three games for Vic Metro at the under-16 championships – including a bag of five in their final game against Western Australia. Most of his goals came from general play, moving well for a tall and showing good skills below his knees.

BEN HOBBS
GWV Rebels/Vic Country
Midfielder, 182cm, 76kg

Hobbs is a ball magnet who wins the footy on the inside and gets it out cleanly to his teammates with his tidy skills. The Rebels midfielder produced a mammoth effort in Vic Country’s final game at the U16 carnival against South Australia, finishing with 25 disposals (18 kicks at 72 per cent), eight clearances, six inside 50s, two goals and 196 ranking points – trumping the exploits of Horne and Rachele. Hobbs was used at the coalface and across halfback in his five NAB League games for the Rebels in 2019.

SAMUEL BANKS
Tasmania Devils/Allies
Defender/midfielder, 186cm, 72kg

The Apple Isle’s leading 2021 draft prospect. Banks has brilliant skills by foot on both sides and strong hands overhead, displaying these strengths on repeat at the division two under-16 carnival last year, where he won a mountain of footy on the outside. The defender/wingman also stepped up into Tasmania’s NAB League side, playing eight matches and averaging 11.5 disposals. In 2020, he showed positive signs for Clarence in the Tasmania State League against senior bodies ahead of his draft year.

JASON HORNE
South Adelaide/SA
Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 75kg

The South Adelaide star has it all and it’s why he’s the early favourite to be taken with the first pick of the 2021 draft. He’s strong on the inside, but also electrifying away from the contest and boasts a mix of speed, eye-catching evasiveness and terrific hands overhead. Horne was SA’s MVP at the under-16 national carnival and after a dominant start to 2020 in the under-18s, played the final nine games of the year in South’s league side.

ARLO DRAPER
South Adelaide/SA
Midfielder/forward, 185cm, 71kg

Draper was another standout bottom-ager in the SANFL under-18s this year, showing off his versatility with a number of blistering performances through the midfield and as a marking target inside-50. The classy ball user had 21 contested possessions and 11 clearances in Round 9, before booting 4.1 in the semi-final loss to the Eagles.

MATTHEW ROBERTS
South Adelaide/SA
Midfielder, 183cm, 76kg

The hardworking left-footer is a ball-magnet – and one of the most promising midfield prospects in the 2021 pool. He may not have as many weapons as his Panthers teammates Horne and Draper, but Roberts is tough, competitive, makes good decisions and is always in the right spot. Even inside-50, where he booted 12 goals in seven games this year.

COOPER MURLEY
Norwood/SA
Midfielder/forward, 177cm, 66kg

The 177cm midfielder had a standout national junior carnival last year to land a spot on the bench in the Under-16 All-Australian side then backed that up by winning Norwood’s under-18 best and fairest this past season as the Redlegs claimed the flag. Murley is slightly built but has pace and is neat with both feet. Averaged 26.6 disposals in the under-18s as a bottom-ager this year and ranked second for inside 50s.

COOPER BECKEN
Glenelg/SA
Defender, 188cm, 72kg

An Andrew Mackie or Will Day-like rangy defender who impressed in the SA All-Stars game in October. Like Mackie and Day, Beecken has long arms, allowing him to float in for marks or spoils, is calm under pressure and also boasts a tidy kick. In his case, he is a left-footer.

JASE BURGOYNE
Woodville West-Torrens/SA
Midfielder

Port Adelaide has access to the Eagles half-back flanker, whose brother is Power rookie Trent Burgoyne and dad is club great Peter Burgoyne, as a father-son prospect in 2021. At 184cm Jase, who averaged 28 disposals at under-18 level this year, is seven centimetres taller than Trent, loves to run and carry and takes kick-ins. Only North Melbourne draftee Tom Powell gathered more possessions than Burgoyne’s 409 in the under-18 competition this year.

MORGAN FERRES
Sturt/SA
Key forward

A tall athletic forward who kicked 22 goals from just six games to finish second in the SANFL’s under-18 competition this season, behind new Crow Brayden Cook (26 majors in 12 matches). Can clunk a mark and looms as one of the best SA forward prospects in 2021.

NASIAH WANGANEEN
Glenelg/SA
Forward

A smooth mover with great closing speed and slick skills, he can fly for a mark and is instinctive around goals. Wanganeen – the nephew of Port Adelaide and Essendon great Gavin Wanganeen – makes the most of his possessions and has plenty of X-factor.

JACOB VAN ROOYEN
Claremont/WA
Key forward, 194cm, 88kg

Among a number of highly-rated midfielders, Van Rooyen stands out as a key-position prospect. He booted 19 goals in 10 WAFL Colts games in his bottom-age year and rated elite for contested marks, marks inside-50, goals and score involvements. Van Rooyen is terrific in the air, whether it be on the lead or one-out, given his outstanding bodywork.

MATTHEW JOHNSON
Subiaco/WA
Midfielder, 192cm, 80kg

The tall midfielder is one to watch in 2021. He was a standout in the WAFL Colts grand final in his bottom-age season, tallying 22 disposals, 10 contested possessions, eight score involvements, five clearances and 143 Champion Data rankings points. Johnson is tough, clean, clever in traffic and looks to have big scope for improvement.

AFL ANNOUNCES ACADEMY INTAKE

The AFL has announced the names of the next crop of teenagers who will be part of the elite AFL Academy.

The intake features the best young male and female players who will be eligible for the 2021 drafts. The will be part of a high-performance training camp and game and have the opportunity to train at AFL and AFLW clubs.

Additional players will be added to each squad as teams across Australia return to training and matches at the start of 2021.

Both squads will be coached by former Magpie Tarkyn Lockyer.

2021 AFL ACADEMY
Braden Andrews, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Sam Banks, Tasmania/Clarence
Rhett Bazzo, Western Australia/Swan Districts
Jase Burgoyne, South Australia/WWTFC
Campbell Chesser, Vic Country/Sandringham Dragons
Nick Daicos, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Josh Fahey, New South Wales/ACTGIANTS
Cooper Hamilton, Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Austin Harris, Queensland/GC SUNS
Ben Hobbs, Vic Country/GWV Rebels
Jason Horne, South Australia/South Adelaide
Blake Howes, Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Matthew Johnson, Western Australia/Subiaco
Cooper Murley, South Australia/Norwood
Josh Rachele, Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Matt Roberts, South Australia/South Adelaide
Josh Sinn, Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Tyler Sonsie, Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges
Ned Stevens, Northern TerritoryWaratah / SUNS
Jacob Van Rooyen, Western Australia/Claremont
Jack Williams, Western Australia East/ Fremantle

Today's Jason Horne is yesterday's Darcy Fogarty.

Or Elijah Hollands..

Or Elijah Hollands..

Will be interesting with u18 footy this year.

Sinn/Sonsie are starting a little bit further back after Hornes 2020 which was unbelievable for a 16 year old. Watching one of his highlights packages, I assumed it was from the whole season... Then I realised that particular one was from just 1 game... He is something else. Unsure of how posters on here would compare him to JUH, but my guess is he'd have gone pretty close to pick 1 if he was eligible for the 2020 draft.

Or Elijah Hollands..

Hollands is cooked after 0 games, that’s a first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hollands is cooked after 0 games, that’s a first.

Comprehension not your strong suite mate?

Fogarty was the shiny #1 pick 12 months out. Then Hollands. Now Horne.

JUH was the only one who stayed thereabouts heavily assisted by a Covid year.

Things change and the wunderkind everyone tanks for 12 months out can just as surely end up as the next Josh Fraser.

Things change and the wunderkind everyone tanks for 12 months out can just as surely end up as the next Josh Fraser.

The hype has a life of its own, and drags most people along with it.

Appreciate your point KC, but this kid is an outstanding prospect. If he doesn't go 1, it'll be due to Sinn/Sonsie exploding in 2021. Which is a good thing because I don't neccersarily buy in that we are a lock for the spoon, likely 17th-15th. Regardless, the top 6 mids next year will all compliment what we have very well.

u18s

Seniors

Why can’t Horne be the JUH of next year?

There are plenty of players in the past who have maintained their high ranking from their bottom age year through to being drafted. Suggesting JUH is an outlier couldn’t be further from the truth.

He may drop in the rankings, but he could improve as well. Suggesting he is destined to follow the same path as Fogarty is just wrong.

Hollands could well prove he warranted the “shiny toy” label. Again he has played 0 games, so the comparison to Fogarty is irrelevant. I think you need to factor in that doing his ACL was a factor in him dropping also.

Last edited:
When was the last time such a group of 16 year olds were so hyped? I know they're 17 but apart from Horne all those Vic guys are highly rated from their under-under age year.

If we finish bottom 6 and overlook the next Carey (IF he’s available at our pick of course), I’ll personally pay postage costs for everyone to send me their membership cards and live stream a bulk Microwave ritual like some Richmond nuffie circa 2014..
There will never be another Carey
There will never be another Carey, for me he is in the Ali and Jordon league ( best ever ). Jonathan Brown would be as close as I have seen since and he is still miles away from the King. I haven't even seen any footage of this kid but I would be happy to see a poor man's Carey running around in North colours colours with the no 18 on he's back.

When was the last time such a group of 16 year olds were so hyped? I know they're 17 but apart from Horne all those Vic guys are highly rated from their under-under age year.

So you are suggesting there might be significant changes between the ages of 15 and 18? Mmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back