Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potential No.1 draft pick with 'great highlights package' exciting recruiters

Teenager Jason Horne is already mixing it with senior bodies - and it's set to pay off later this year

THE PRAISE for Jason Horne flows as effortlessly as the teenager flies for marks across half-forward.

"He can play as an inside and outside midfielder and is very strong overhead for his size," one recruiter said.

"He's a genuine goalkicker, has a great highlights package and is always on the move. He's right up there for the No.1 pick at the moment."

Another scout was equally as excited.

"He's just well-performed. At every level he's played he's played well," they said.

"There's things he can improve on," said another club, "but if he was on a list he'd be every chance to be playing round one in the AFL next week."

Clearly, Horne starts this season as one of the most hyped players in the NAB AFL Draft pool after his performances last season.

Jason-Horne-celebrates-a-goal-for-South-Adelaide-last-season.jpg

Jason Horne celebrates a goal for South Adelaide last season. Picture: Cory Sutton

The South Adelaide teenager, having been South Australia's MVP at the under-16s the previous season, starred at under-18 level last year before debuting at SANFL senior level as a 17-year-old.

He finished the year by playing nine games and booting five goals, including a standout finals series that exceeded his expectations.

"My goals for last season was just to play one or two League games, play a couple of reserves games as well, so I think they really got met well," Horne told AFL.com.au.

"There were a few nerves there coming up against bigger bodies and the pace of the game when you have to be a bit quicker. But I feel like I adapted and I took on the challenge pretty well and it was good to just get some games under my belt.

"After my first few games I got the hang of it a bit and knew what it felt like to be playing up there and really comfortable. After the first few games I felt like I was meant to be up there."

Horne, a Freo fan who idolises superstar Docker Nat Fyfe, will this year play far more midfield time having spent most of last season in the seniors' forward line. The 183cm prospect is competitive, wins contested ball and loves jumping for marks.

His stepfather is Fabian Francis, the former Port Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne player, and the pair share a close bond. He said Francis had helped step him through the pressure that comes with being a highly touted draftee.

"There is a little bit of pressure there but I try not think about it too much and forget about it," he said.

"At the start of my footy I had a bit of pressure of Fabian playing AFL and there was a bit of pressure I put on myself to play well because he was my dad, but that pressure has drifted away a bit and I've got out there and started to play footy.

"He's played a massive role in my life. He came into my life when I was seven or eight and him coming down from AFL he's played a big part, especially in my footy but also outside of that and making our family closer."

As well as backing up last season, meeting with clubs and navigating his draft season, Horne will spend 2021 in the workforce after leaving school last year to take up a job at Fleurieu Milk, where he helps load up the delivery trucks.

"I work five days a week there and they've been really flexible in giving me time off for footy," he said.

He has already started this season impressively, providing some highlights in a practice match for South Adelaide against Port Adelaide's SANFL side, which included a number of AFL-listed players.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

In the SANFL, all eyes were on Pick 1 contender Jason Horne, as he ran out for South Adelaide against the Crows’ reserves. The teenage talent racked up 19 disposals, six marks, four tackles and four clearances in the win, whilst it was ex-Crow Bryce Gibbs who stole the show with a match-winning 36 disposals, six marks and five clearances. Ex-Lion Sam Skinner had 17 disposals and booted two goals in the win, whilst Liam Fitt (four goals) was the busiest inside 50. Joel Cross (28 disposals, seven marks) and Hayden Sampson (25 disposals, 12 marks and one goal) were other to win plenty of the football in a massive 61-point smashing, while Crows’ reserves talent Hamish Latchford stepped up with 31 disposals, 12 marks and two clearances. Jackson Hately (25 disposals, 10 marks and two clearances) was the eye-catching one, as young talls Josh Worrell (20 disposals, five marks), Darcy Fogarty (14 disposals, three marks) and Fischer McAsey (14 disposals, six marks) also played.

It was not much better news for Port Adelaide’s reserves who also went down, losing to Norwood by 45 points. Father-son prospect Taj Schofield racked up 22 disposals, three marks and booted a goal, while Sam Mayes (28 disposals, seven clearances) and Jarrod Lienert (26 disposals, seven tackles) also worked hard. Matthew Nunn was unstoppable for the Redlegs with 39 disposals, five marks, 11 tackles and five clearances, whilst ex-Crow recruit Richard Douglas did as he pleased with 26 disposals, five marks, seven tackles, four clearances and a goal. Ex-Cat Jacob Kennerley also impressed with 24 disposals, five marks and six tackles, whilst ex-Hawk Paul Puopolo booted 2.3 from 19 disposals and three marks. Draft hopeful Jackson Callow booted 2.2 from 11 disposals and five marks on his SANFL debut, working well with Dom Barry (21 disposals, five marks and three goals) inside 50.

Any intel on this guy? I feel like with the midfielders we already have on the table being at the smaller end a genuine big (6'3 plus) option would be ideal.

The description of him in this game would suggest he may be a bit Fyfe like.

#2 Ned Long

The 192cm midfielder set the tone early with good attack on the ball and good spread around the ground, showing he is more than just that pure big-bodied inside midfielder. Long won plenty of the ball in the first quarter and showed a lot of smarts with ball in hand, drawing in opponents to release better handballs to his teammates. Long was also able to hit the scoreboard, with his first major coming from a strong contested mark and set shot. His marking around the ground was a real highlight, using his big frame to his advantage. His next two goals came in the last quarter and were seemingly match-winning goals both on the run, with the last coming from a quick play-on and long-range bomb. In a best on ground performance, Long finished with 26 disposals, nine marks, seven inside 50s and three goals to mark a near-perfect start to his NAB League campaign.

2018 photo of Ned wearing #21

37202264_2017830744896003_6389731130974666752_n.jpg
Joshua Ward, Patrick Dozzi and Ned Long

Stats from the weekend

• Ned Long (Northern Knights) 26 disposals, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 7 inside 50s, 3 goals
  • Josh Ward (Northern Knights) 22 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 4 inside 50s

2018 photo of Ned wearing #21

View attachment 1095843
Joshua Ward, Patrick Dozzi and Ned Long

Stats from the weekend

• Ned Long (Northern Knights) 26 disposals, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 7 inside 50s, 3 goals
  • Josh Ward (Northern Knights) 22 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 4 inside 50s

Sounds like he has put on a decent amount of size since then as you would expect. 192cm and is described as "big-bodied".

Another question for the draft watchers. How do you rate the Victorian under-age footy that these guys are playing versus SANFL or WAFL seniors that players like Horne and Van Rooyen are playing?

Any intel on this guy? I feel like with the midfielders we already have on the table being at the smaller end a genuine big (6'3 plus) option would be ideal.

The description of him in this game would suggest he may be a bit Fyfe like.

#2 Ned Long

The 192cm midfielder set the tone early with good attack on the ball and good spread around the ground, showing he is more than just that pure big-bodied inside midfielder. Long won plenty of the ball in the first quarter and showed a lot of smarts with ball in hand, drawing in opponents to release better handballs to his teammates. Long was also able to hit the scoreboard, with his first major coming from a strong contested mark and set shot. His marking around the ground was a real highlight, using his big frame to his advantage. His next two goals came in the last quarter and were seemingly match-winning goals both on the run, with the last coming from a quick play-on and long-range bomb. In a best on ground performance, Long finished with 26 disposals, nine marks, seven inside 50s and three goals to mark a near-perfect start to his NAB League campaign.

It will be interesting to see how he tests.

You need speed and endurance with these new rules. Preferably both.

Bont/Fyfe/Cripps are all still having an impact, but are well down on previous years outputs.

They are having an impact on the big bodied clearance mids.

It will be interesting to see how he tests.

You need speed and endurance with these new rules. Preferably both.

Bont/Fyfe/Cripps are all still having an impact, but are well down on previous years outputs.

They are having an impact on the big bodied clearance mids.

Bont and Cripps have both been BOG in matches this year and Fyfe had 27 touches with 9 clearances in round 1. I'm pretty sure these guys as still hugely influential players.

I'm more interested in how he actually plays, and 26 possessions, 7 inside 50s, and 3 goals is an eye-catching performance.

Do not even want to think about us passing on this bloke.

You'll think about it - and you'll like it.

There'll be a kid, never really played midfield but we see him as a future mid.

188cm, 80cm Sheanead Atley-Willis.

Will go on to an exciting 200+ game career regularly cracking the top 15 in the B&F.

Ditto. He has everything you'd want in an elite mid and has performed at every level he's played at.

To my untrained eye, his highlights just look "wow". Speed, agility, nice size, spring. He looks like the type that you'd accept running last for to get your hands on.

I'd be interested to read the views from more seasoned junior watchers.

I hope we bid on Daicos at 1. Not a snowballs chance in hell Collingwood doesn’t match. Squeeze those campaigners.

I wouldn't do it. Collingwood could let us blow our number 1 pick and let him develop on our coin.

2 years of incessant "will he, won't he" regarding his future. He pisses in our pocket via the media "I'm in no rush, Collingwood was my life but all the boys here have me feel so welcome yada yada".

2024 - he's playing for Collingwood and our 2021 number 1 pick is in the bin.

He'd be the reverse Josh Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't do it. Collingwood could let us blow our number 1 pick and let him develop on our coin.

2 years of incessant "will he, won't he" regarding his future. He pisses in our pocket via the media "I'm in no rush, Collingwood was my life but all the boys here have me feel so welcome yada yada".

If they trade out picks in order to match an early bid, there’s no way they pass on him.

Hey mate is this automatically updating like last year?

it doesnt look current after the weekend thats all..
Fixed. The mods had placed an image instead of the actual code.

He’s not even a Collingwood supporter barracks for the blues but the pull to play with his brother would be there I guess

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...-josh-rentsch-charlie-dixon-forward-impresses

WAFL

League

Holding his own against men, key forward Jacob Van Rooyen enhanced his first-round credentials with 12 disposals, four marks and two goals for Claremont in win against Swan Districts.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...-josh-rentsch-charlie-dixon-forward-impresses

WAFL

League

Holding his own against men, key forward Jacob Van Rooyen enhanced his first-round credentials with 12 disposals, four marks and two goals for Claremont in win against Swan Districts.
Knightmare is not a completely reliable source, but the write up of Jackson Callow was also positive

I stand by the point re not trying to get cute but that's bizarre he goes for Carlton?
I mean it’s no different to getting Horne and having the constant back to SA talk

Daicos would be a worthy pick 1 and at least would be in the same state so less pull to leave

Sonsie is the other number 1 option and no factors to leave

But all moot as I expect pies to match a pick 1 bid for daicos anyway

I mean it’s no different to getting Horne and having the constant back to SA talk

Daicos would be a worthy pick 1 and at least would be in the same state so less pull to leave

Sonsie is the other number 1 option and no factors to leave

But all moot as I expect pies to match a pick 1 bid for daicos anyway

I think it's vastly different.

Son of a club legend. A club with vast off-field networks and ability to fiddle the cap as they like.

I’d be keen on Isaac Keeler with a late pick. He’s tied to Adelaide via academy but might be able to pinch him. Tall athletic forward with that something special. Just big question on his work ethic. If he matures a little he could be anything.

Collingwood don’t have a first round pick for this year. It would be insanity for them to pass on him and not pick him up with a combination of later picks.

As it stands they could take Daicos(close to if not the best talent in the draft) or pass and pick some speculative kid with a second pick around pick 30.

I think it’s also pretty obvious their first round pick is gone knowing it will be chewed up on Daicos. No chance they pass.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back