Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collingwood don’t have a first round pick for this year. It would be insanity for them to pass on him and not pick him up with a combination of later picks.

As it stands they could take Daicos(close to if not the best talent in the draft) or pass and pick some speculative kid with a second pick around pick 30.

I think it’s also pretty obvious their first round pick is gone knowing it will be chewed up on Daicos. No chance they pass.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I did overlook Collingwood trading out of the 1st round.

Yeh there might be a strategic element to trying it but just don't see the point. If he ends up a gun he'll end up at Collingwood anyway.

It's different to JUH who was a player that anyone could build their team around and had no inherent ties other than 'lol-nga' to another club.

I’d be keen on Isaac Keeler with a late pick. He’s tied to Adelaide via academy but might be able to pinch him. Tall athletic forward with that something special. Just big question on his work ethic. If he matures a little he could be anything.

We're just the club for him then.

Why didn't we do that on Campbell?

Because we didn’t think he was best available.

There was a good chance Sydney may have passed on him as well, if they rated McDonald higher. I think most clubs would have rated McDonald higher than Campbell. The pies situation is different as there is no way they would pass on Daicos with where there first pick sits.

I did overlook Collingwood trading out of the 1st round.

Yeh there might be a strategic element to trying it but just don't see the point. If he ends up a gun he'll end up at Collingwood anyway.

It's different to JUH who was a player that anyone could build their team around and had no inherent ties other than 'lol-nga' to another club.

There is no way pies will pass, so it’s a pointless conversation.

I will be surprised if the Crows don't have a crack at out number 1 pick at years end. They would love Horne and Thilthope to come through together.

"If" in the highly unlikely event we received #2, it would be interesting to see what the likely combo of players taken would be.

It certainly wouldn't be Horne AND Sonsie imo. We'd have a major glut of midfielders on the list.

More than likely one of those two + Sinn at this very early stage.

We need some balance in these selections and half back/speed is a major need still.

For the same reasons, I think Simpkin needs to play a bit more half forward for parts of the season, as I think that's where his future lies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"If" in the highly unlikely event we received #2, it would be interesting to see what the likely combo of players taken would be.

It certainly wouldn't be Horne AND Sonsie imo. We'd have a major glut of midfielders on the list.

More than likely one of those two + Sinn at this very early stage.

We need some balance in these selections and half back/speed is a major need still.

For the same reasons, I think Simpkin needs to play a bit more half forward for parts of the season, as I think that's where his future lies.

How about pick 2 for lachie ash and their first rounder

There is no way pies will pass, so it’s a pointless conversation.

There is also hugely unlikely they will be able to trade to get ahead of any bid so they may be open to trading their 2021 first-rounder which is likely to be in the 8 to 12 range. What about something like our 2022 first-rounder for their 2021 first and their 2022 second?

There is also hugely unlikely they will be able to trade to get ahead of any bid so they may be open to trading their 2021 first-rounder which is likely to be in the 8 to 12 range. What about something like our 2022 first-rounder for their 2021 first and their 2022 second?

They already traded their 2021 first rounder to GWS.

Because we didn’t think he was best available.

There was a good chance Sydney may have passed on him as well, if they rated McDonald higher. I think most clubs would have rated McDonald higher than Campbell. The pies situation is different as there is no way they would pass on Daicos with where there first pick sits.

We didn't think McDonald was best available either. But if you read Campbell's bio and watch him play, he's exactly what we needed - line breaking inside/outside midfielder with a deadly left foot. Not saying Phillips will prove to be better or worse, but Hawthorn bidding on Campbell at pick 5 proves his high worth. I think they would have matched regardless, and would have missed out on McDonald.

We didn't think McDonald was best available either. But if you read Campbell's bio and watch him play, he's exactly what we needed - line breaking inside/outside midfielder with a deadly left foot. Not saying Phillips will prove to be better or worse, but Hawthorn bidding on Campbell at pick 5 proves his high worth. I think they would have matched regardless, and would have missed out on McDonald.

Hawks stuffed it up by winning a meaningless game in the last round.

Possibly you’re right, but it’s no certainty which makes it different to the Daicos scenario. With McCartin playing back and with Reid and Franklin coming to the end, they would have been desperate for a key forward. They have a really good young list of mids coming through and they were also bringing in Gulden as well. Again I honestly think they might have passed on Campbell and gone with McDonald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back