Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horne doesn’t sound like a bloke who racks up the footy ala Tom Powell.

A kid that has been picked in the SANFL senior state squad vs SANFL colts form.

Perspective.

Just quietly, I reckon Horne is playing SANFL because the neither the colts competition nor Horne would get anything out of him playing there.

He's a brute for an 18 year old.

Jason Horne 2021

1619840000489.png

Tom Powell 2020

1619840066611.png

Just a question for those who understand the AFL draft, F/S Picks and the points systems better than me, can someone answer a question myself and a few mates were throwing around.

Say we get to the end of the season and we end up finishing above the Pies who finish last. At the draft Pies pick 1, North pick 2;

Pies pick 1: Horne.
North pick 2: we bid on Daicos but Pis match.

Could this play out, and could the Pies realistically pick up Horne at pick 1 and match our bid with the 25% discount for Daicos?

I'd hate to have our worse finish ever and end up with essentially pick 3 and see the Pies get the best 2 players by a long way in the draft?

Just a question for those who understand the AFL draft, F/S Picks and the points systems better than me, can someone answer a question myself and a few mates were throwing around.

Say we get to the end of the season and we end up finishing above the Pies who finish last. At the draft Pies pick 1, North pick 2;

Pies pick 1: Horne.
North pick 2: we bid on Daicos but Pis match.

Could this play out, and could the Pies realistically pick up Horne at pick 1 and match our bid with the 25% discount for Daicos?

I'd hate to have our worse finish ever and end up with essentially pick 3 and see the Pies get the best 2 players by a long way in the draft?
Pies don't have a round one pick.

Pies don't have a round one pick.
Then change the scenario to GWS having the Pies pick 1.

GWS pick 1: Horne.
North pick 2: we bid on Daicos but Pies match.

Could this play out, and could the GWS realistically pick up Horne at pick 1 and the pies match our bid with the 25% discount for Daicos?

Could this play out, and could the GWS realistically pick up Horne at pick 1 and the pies match our bid with the 25% discount for Daicos?
We came second last and ended up with the third pick just last year. Yes it's possible.

Yep. And they're way too mercenary not to shut up shop and gun for that pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would that be? The club is 100% confident he'll be fine , his issue isn't rare fwiw. He's had chalky bones and that apparently isn't hard to rectify.
Chalky Bones Ha
If you're going to recruit a player you check everything on the player.
If the club has drafted a player like this and they knew there was a problem with his past history and if injuries were part of his football resume then the person who has the final say on drafting him should be sacked.

Chalky Bones Ha
If the club has drafted a player like this and they knew there was a problem with his past history and if injuries were part of his football resume then the person who has the final say on drafting him should be sacked.

Check their bones before drafting them.

Now I've heard everything.

Matthew Roberts the standout performer this weekend with 33 touches, 2 goals, 8 clearances and 9 tackles. Will most likely find himself taken in the top 10-15 by year's end and the only reason he won't end up at the real pointy end is because he doesn't really have the eye-catching traits or upside that others do.

Jack Williams also progressing nicely with a 4 goal performance. Expect to see him continue to move up draft boards.

Check their bones before drafting them.

Now I've heard everything.
TBF Comben had broken half of them prior to being drafted. IIRC he had some awful luck once his growth spurts started.

As to drafting an injury prone player we had 3 picks basically all at once and got a variety of players. That far back in the draft if you want elite attributes it generally comes with a downside, and we've had a tendency to select players with past injuries as theirs. Flynn was the other in that trio with an injury history, and likewise has been struck down again.

Jy a couple years earlier is another, but he turned out pretty bloody alright.

TBF Comben had broken half of them prior to being drafted. IIRC he had some awful luck once his growth spurts started.

As to drafting an injury prone player we had 3 picks basically all at once and got a variety of players. That far back in the draft if you want elite attributes it generally comes with a downside, and we've had a tendency to select players with past injuries as theirs. Flynn was the other in that trio with an injury history, and likewise has been struck down again.

Jy a couple years earlier is another, but he turned out pretty bloody alright.

I'm half tongue in cheek, the thought of checking bones has me thinking of those x-ray machines in Total Recall. Which then makes me go full circle and think about our injury time frames.

I'm half tongue in cheek, the thought of checking bones has me thinking of those x-ray machines in Total Recall. Which then makes me go full circle and think about our injury time frames.

All good. TBH my post was more directed at the one you were replying to, which I thought had a half decent point shaded by an awful conclusion.

Chalky Bones Ha

Why? If the issue is fixable and we feel it is, we may have just got the bargain of the century. There's ten years worth of s**t rd two selections that we've made. I'd rather us take a chance on a footballer with all the necessary skills to be a bloody fine footballer than some plodder from Queensland.

Why? If the issue is fixable and we feel it is, we may have just got the bargain of the century. There's ten years worth of sh*t rd two selections that we've made. I'd rather us take a chance on a footballer with all the necessary skills to be a bloody fine footballer than some plodder from Queensland.
Well if Comden comes good and becomes a great player I'll eat my own words but I have my doubts that he will play this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back