Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we could of done that with lachie young but probably didn’t want to sour our relationship with the braves

You don't burn relationships over a shuffle of picks in the sixties and seventies.
But if it's the difference between getting Kelly as a FA or them matching a bid and us being forced to trade for him, then i'd hope we sour relationships.

You don't burn relationships over a shuffle of picks in the sixties and seventies.
But if it's the difference between getting Kelly as a FA or them matching a bid and us being forced to trade for him, then i'd hope we sour relationships.
If we didnt match and trade for kelly after making a free agency pitch you can guarantee we would never have any player aasociated with Kellys management talk to us again.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Callaghan footage in this is mouth watering stuff. Similarities with he and Tarryn. Line breaker & elite left boot.

Think he would compliment our midfield mix extremely well - with flexibility to play on HBF & Wing.

An important thing that needs to be considered is that there are some players that bloom later than others. Guys like Bontempelli and Oliver both come to mind - neither of these guys were ever considered worthy of being picked at #1 due to bolting late and coming on later than those taken higher than them.

Horne, Sonsie and Rachele are some guys who have bloomed early. Callaghan was barely inside most top 30's at the beginning of this year and he's shown a ton of improvement in ~7 games this season. In the last month or so, Goater has taken his game to another level and has a massive ceiling.

While Horne looks exceptional, there's a very real chance he's not the best player taken from this draft in 5 year's time. Right now, he's the best, no question in my mind, and should be taken with the #1 pick. The reality is that players bloom at different stages and there are some guys in this draft with big ceilings if they get the right development.

Last edited:

If we didnt match and trade for kelly after making a free agency pitch you can guarantee we would never have any player aasociated with Kellys management talk to us again.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty sure Kelly's management have made us look like complete fools several times to the rest of the footballing world in order to maximise what they could get from GWS.

To offset the "Horne may not be the best" discussion. Ok that's fine, but if Adelaide finish 17th, 16th....what would they be willing to trade for him?

Pick 2 plus a 2nd rounder? Pick 2 plus next year's first, with our 2nd going back....?

Again, it's an option. It's currency. Look at the deals north pulled to get extra picks in the 30's last year and before. ...give these blokes as much currency as possible to have a cracking off season.

The culture really doesn't need to be questioned, multiple players have stated they r loving it at the ub this year, before the first win even.

Anyway, it's clear Pick 1 is slim to no chance as it currently stands.

Both sides have said their bit, it's out of our hands.

Che Sera Sera.

To offset the "Horne may not be the best" discussion. Ok that's fine, but if Adelaide finish 17th, 16th....what would they be willing to trade for him?

Pick 2 plus a 2nd rounder? Pick 2 plus next year's first, with our 2nd going back....?

Again, it's an option. It's currency. Look at the deals north pulled to get extra picks in the 30's last year and before. ...give these blokes as much currency as possible to have a cracking off season.

The culture really doesn't need to be questioned, multiple players have stated they r loving it at the ub this year, before the first win even.

Che Sera Sera.

That’s true also.

Plus as I’ve been saying, the first pick in round 2 of the draft, plus some bidding deals with the bulldogs gives us an easy route to moving up into a second first rounder at the end of the first round. Which is where we might get a good KPP prospect.

For all those people wanting the coach to rest players, play them out of position, finish off the season early, just to guarantee pick 1, it just wont happen.

Everything we have seen of our coach this year tells me all I need to know if regards to this. This man wants to build a winning culture of sustained success, he doesnt do that by tanking or managing players and has already said he doesnt want to finish last. Make no mistake, we will be chasing as many wins as possible over the next 6 weeks.
Then look to the players and leaders we have and tell me you could see them putting up with tanking or being managed.
Try tell Cunnington he needs a week off, this man leads by example, missed all of last year, no way he takes a week off just to get a higher pick.
Simpkin - our future captain, quoted as wanting to be the best player in the AFL, hates to lose.. take a week or 2 off?? Yeah right.
Mcdonald - Absolute heart and soul, no way in hell he finishes the season early.
LDU / Thomas.. time to ease up boys, your playing the best footy of your careers but do you mind going and sitting in a forward / back pocket while we trial Patrick walker and Pheonix spicer in the middle this week??
The list goes one.

Players at the end of the day play to win, our coach coaches with a process in mind that ultimately will lead to winning games. If we finish last and get pick 1 then so be it, great. But if we play the way we have been playing and improving and snag a few more wins then the same applies.

Build a winning culture. Take the best available. If its Horne then great, if not then welcome whoever it may be. Build a winning culture above all else.
I'd argue that Brad Scott built a winning culture. He had a win above anything else attitude and won plenty of games as Coach. What he failed to build was a premiership culture because he failed to appreciate that top end talent is the difference between competing and actually winning the flag. Horne by most experts is pretty special even allowing for the usual hype. The conundrum is real.

For all those people wanting the coach to rest players, play them out of position, finish off the season early, just to guarantee pick 1, it just wont happen.

Everything we have seen of our coach this year tells me all I need to know if regards to this. This man wants to build a winning culture of sustained success, he doesnt do that by tanking or managing players and has already said he doesnt want to finish last. Make no mistake, we will be chasing as many wins as possible over the next 6 weeks.
Then look to the players and leaders we have and tell me you could see them putting up with tanking or being managed.
Try tell Cunnington he needs a week off, this man leads by example, missed all of last year, no way he takes a week off just to get a higher pick.
Simpkin - our future captain, quoted as wanting to be the best player in the AFL, hates to lose.. take a week or 2 off?? Yeah right.
Mcdonald - Absolute heart and soul, no way in hell he finishes the season early.
LDU / Thomas.. time to ease up boys, your playing the best footy of your careers but do you mind going and sitting in a forward / back pocket while we trial Patrick walker and Pheonix spicer in the middle this week??
The list goes one.

Players at the end of the day play to win, our coach coaches with a process in mind that ultimately will lead to winning games. If we finish last and get pick 1 then so be it, great. But if we play the way we have been playing and improving and snag a few more wins then the same applies.

No coach is going to say, hell yeah we want to finish bottom. Could you even imagine the meltdowns if one did.

One thing Noble has done is not cut corners, he's given the younger guys key roles and helped them develop in those. He has not been winning at all costs, theres a difference between wanting and planing to win while you hold true to your longer term process.

Given we're still working on our list longer term, i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see a few in for surgery early, maybe Cunners spending more time forward, Get Comben, Ford and Polec in there.

While on Cunners, i thought it concerning he had work being done on his back during the WC game. He came back and looked fine but we'd be fools not to manage him if that flares back up.

I'd argue that Brad Scott built a winning culture. He had a win above anything else attitude and won plenty of games as Coach. What he failed to build was a premiership culture because he failed to appreciate that top end talent is the difference between competing and actually winning the flag. Horne by most experts is pretty special even allowing for the usual hype. The conundrum is real.

Thats right, he did and it had us middle of the road with middle of the road picks leading to more middle of the road. But - he inherited a middle of the road team with almost all the top end talent going to 2 clubs for 5-7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No coach is going to say, hell yeah we want to finish bottom. Could you even imagine the meltdowns if one did.

One thing Noble has done is not cut corners, he's given the younger guys key roles and helped them develop in those. He has not been winning at all costs, theres a difference between wanting and planing to win while you hold true to your longer term process.

Given we're still working on our list longer term, i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest to see a few in for surgery early, maybe Cunners spending more time forward, Get Comben, Ford and Polec in there.

While on Cunners, i thought it concerning he had work being done on his back during the WC game. He came back and looked fine but we'd be fools not to manage him if that flares back up.
Yeah for sure, no coach is ever going to say that, throws the whole integrity of the competition out, but I think he is a pretty straight shooter our coach and tends to mean what he says. This could be proven totally wrong over time, just my feel at the moment but I dont get the Clarkson, Sheedy smoke and mirrors vibe.

Its because he doesnt cut corners with players or his process, I dont see us going down the tanking route. Playing players in totally different positions ( not referring to resting for 10 minutes in the forward line ) or resting all together is cutting corners in his process.

I will concede that if it is the last 2 weeks of the season he may be more inclined to give more players a look in, like Comben, Ford, Walker a chance but I think for the next 4 weeks it will continue to be what we have seen since the bye, injuries permitting of course.

Would want to be a good arguer.

Yeah for sure, no coach is ever going to say that, throws the whole integrity of the competition out, but I think he is a pretty straight shooter our coach and tends to mean what he says. This could be proven totally wrong over time, just my feel at the moment but I dont get the Clarkson, Sheedy smoke and mirrors vibe.

Its because he doesnt cut corners with players or his process, I dont see us going down the tanking route. Playing players in totally different positions ( not referring to resting for 10 minutes in the forward line ) or resting all together is cutting corners in his process.

I will concede that if it is the last 2 weeks of the season he may be more inclined to give more players a look in, like Comben, Ford, Walker a chance but I think for the next 4 weeks it will continue to be what we have seen since the bye, injuries permitting of course.

He's already shown little hesitation moving young players into key positions to win games (Phillips in the guts at key times on Monday a good example) - can't help it if they win us games! We need to keep pushing for wins no doubt but we also should be taking zero risks with injured players and we should definitely be looking at fringe seniors who deserve the opportunity for a last chance or advertise their wares for new homes if we are going to cut them.

He's already shown little hesitation moving young players into key positions to win games (Phillips in the guts at key times on Monday a good example) - can't help it if they win us games! We need to keep pushing for wins no doubt but we also should be taking zero risks with injured players and we should definitely be looking at fringe seniors who deserve the opportunity for a last chance or advertise their wares for new homes if we are going to cut them.

Agree totally. Was great seeing WP play his natural position and how good he looked doing it. No dramas there. I just dont think we will be seeing what happened to Melbourne years back where ruckmen were playing back pocket etc ( dont recall the details accurately but I am sure you all know what I am referring to )

Only thing I dont agree with is the bold above. I think fringe senior players have had the chance, if there is a line through Polac and its a choice between him or Charlie Lazzaro then you go with Lazzaro every day of the week. But if he sees a future with Polac and his form in the 2s warrants it then you give him a game.
Senior players, we tend to know what they are going to provide anyway and no doubt the coaches even more so. I would be more inclined to look at a fringe junior and seeing what they offer instead

Only thing I dont agree with is the bold above. I think fringe senior players have had the chance, if there is a line through Polac and its a choice between him or Charlie Lazzaro then you go with Lazzaro every day of the week. But if he sees a future with Polac and his form in the 2s warrants it then you give him a game.
Senior players, we tend to know what they are going to provide anyway and no doubt the coaches even more so. I would be more inclined to look at a fringe junior and seeing what they offer instead

Agree with you, that's my take as well. Not games for the sake of it for players that are out the door anyway - more that if we're deciding which 6 blokes get delisted and 8 are on the shortlist we have a good look at them in roles we see them in down the track.

Che Sera Sera.
It would be pick 2 and next years first at a minimum.

My point was deliberately losing games to get a better draft position is asking for massive trouble down the line. What kind of message does it send to the group? I'm certain Carlton and the Dees thought they could take advantage of pick 1 too. If we end up last & with Horne I will be happy with that, just as long as it isn't because we have tanked.
I have been saying the same thing not a lot agree though Mjs94 It seems like they they are not to fussed if we lose as long as we get pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back