Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Over ager who was a small chance to get drafted last year. Pretty one dimensional inside midfield.
What about Max Chipper from Swan Districts, averaging 30‘s for disposals most of the year, including a season high 38 playing against Erasmus and his Subiaco team recently. In the WA squad for the championships. Not overly tall at 182 but not too bad for a midfielder. Could be a good pick in the second round.

Last edited:

Sounds similar to Callaghan. Great to be athletic, have speed and good size but please let’s choose the one who also has the most skill and footy smarts!

Neil Erasmus
Subiaco/Western Australia | Midfielder/Forward
2/12/2003 | 188cm | 80kg

Snapshot:
An exciting forward who has transitioned wonderfully well into midfield, Erasmus lays claim to eye-catching athletic traits and plenty of upside.

Another prospect out of Subiaco who played in last year’s WAFL Colts premiership, Erasmus has built on his potential this year having come in as a potential first round bolter. He burst onto the scene with four goals in that 2020 Grand Final, showcasing great speed and clean hands up forward after putting in a terrific PSA Football campaign. While he was played off half-forward and the wing as an AFL Academy call-up, Erasmus has proven himself to be quite the consistent ball winner through midfield this season, bringing some spark to the engine room. He has a great vertical leap and can impact both aerially and at ground level, with that scoreboard impact also in his back pocket.

Season so far:

Mixing his time between the WAFL Colts and PSA competitions in Western Australia, Erasmus has been a standout through midfield. He averages bang on 28 disposals for the Lions across four games so far, incredibly with a high of 29 and low of 27. He has also taken almost eight marks per game and has been able to sustain his impact, while having the potential to burst to life at any given moment. Erasmus was also terrific for the AFL Academy as a medium forward, serving a reminder of his aerial skills and looking to have improved his disposal by foot – a growth area – as the game wore on.

What about Erasmus team mate in Lachlan Vanirsen Davo-27.
Another WA boy with a second rounder if he is around the mark?
I can’t find much on him

he looks more like a state league player, he is pretty good though and has a chance as a late pick, was in last years pool so is 18/19 i believe this year, had a great WAFL Colts GF, but at this stage i think he is more a state league player type than an AFL player type, but if he has improvement could make the step up so unsure, they are my thoughts on him.

Generally speaking, skill errors and lack of aggression has seriously cost us this season. It would not surprise me if in the next 2 drafts we go for more physically imposing prospects with tenacity and know how to kick a football.

With our first pick, I don't mind Sonsie but he is not going to be ready made as he lacks the build and defensive game. This hasn't stopped us before though seeing as we picked up Day and Maginness previously.

Sinn, Chesser, Johnson and Callaghan all are rated in and around our pick and fit the right profile for us. Personally I think Sonsie is the right choice as he has plenty of skill and can rotate or start in the forward line and impact there which none of the others mentioned seem to do as well as him. Once he becomes more well rounded, he will transition into midfield and potentially become a real damaging player for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently there will be a lot of mids available and a limited number of talls. If we can pick up another first rounder it might be possible to get Sonsie and Gibcus.
I would like to see Josh Gibcus selected, a good size backman. Great mark and really good kick and best of all I can yell out "Gibbo" again as he flies across the pack.

Apparently there will be a lot of mids available and a limited number of talls. If we can pick up another first rounder it might be possible to get Sonsie and Gibcus.
I would like to see Josh Gibcus selected, a good size backman. Great mark and really good kick and best of all I can yell out "Gibbo" again as he flies across the pack.
I would’ve thought that if we obtained another 1st rounder that the backline is the last place that we’d use it on. Having said that I think that it’s always imperative to go best player available when picking early in the draft unless the choice between players is like splitting peas.

Last edited:
If we cant get Horne, I'm quite happy improving our ladder position by the end of the year.

Daicos and Horne the obvious 1 and 2; we're not getting either. Then about 6-10 players you could probably throw a blanket over

If we cant get Horne, I'm quite happy improving our ladder position by the end of the year.

Daicos and Horne the obvious 1 and 2; we're not getting either. Then about 6-10 players you could probably throw a blanket over
No doubt. Most recruiters have conceded this.
We won't know much until the Championships are done and dusted. But outside those 2, it's an absolute lottery at this stage.

No doubt. Most recruiters have conceded this.
We won't know much until the Championships are done and dusted. But outside those 2, it's an absolute lottery at this stage.
Yep - but every year the order works itself out as get closer to draft and see more exposed form of the group. The difference between say pick 3-5 (after daicos) vs 8-10 could be material by ND time.

Yep - but every year the order works itself out as get closer to draft and see more exposed form of the group. The difference between say pick 3-5 (after daicos) vs 8-10 could be material by ND time.
Yep, we'd best do all we can to finish bottom 3, just in case :thumbsu:

I would’ve thought that if we obtained another 1st rounder that the backline is the last place that we’d use it on. Having said that I think that it’s always imperative to go best player available when picking early in the draft unless the choice between players is like splitting peas.
I guess it depends on whether you see Hartley and Hartigan being part of our rebuild. Frost turns 30 in 2023. The rest of the backline will be reasonably young and talented. We could do with another KP down back to go with DGB, as they could become a formidable defensive unit for a considerable period of time. At this stage it looks like Gibcus is likely to be in the top 10.

I guess it depends on whether you see Hartley and Hartigan being part of our rebuild. Frost turns 30 in 2023. The rest of the backline will be reasonably young and talented. We could do with another KP down back to go with DGB, as they could become a formidable defensive unit for a considerable period of time. At this stage it looks like Gibcus is likely to be in the top 10.
Yep, we'd best do all we can to finish bottom 3, just in case :thumbsu:

Darcy Moore now out for the rest of the year - huge blow for the Pies, they could easily finish below us

Darcy Moore now out for the rest of the year - huge blow for the Pies, they could easily finish below us
We really missed the boat on trading for their 1st rounder. All the bloody signs were their going into last years trade period that things were about to implode on / off the field. GWS would be LTAO right about now.

We really missed the boat on trading for their 1st rounder. All the bloody signs were their going into last years trade period that things were about to implode on / off the field. GWS would be LTAO right about now.
GWS be licking their lips at the opportunity to draft some more elite talent...

.... then miss finals...

Absolutely 100% we need to draft another key defender that can play alongside Grainger-Barras and to also allow Sicily to be the third tall defender.

Key position players (under 23)

Key forwards
Lewis 22
Koschitzke 20
Jeka 19
Callow 19

Key defenders
Grainger-Barras 19

Rucks
Reeves 22

Status
Not open for further replies.