Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
Sounds top 5 to me.
[/QUOTE
Beat the pies and we’re possibly looking at pick 6 (after daicos, Darcy).
I was listening to the road to draft podcast and the GWS head recruiting guy mentioned it was an even bunch after Darcy and Daicos. Think he said Horne may be slightly ahead as he got the runs on the board early (last years form). He mentioned a group of 6 or 7 others that were in contention thereafter. For memory he mentioned Callaghan, Hobbs, Mac Andrew, Gibcus, Rachelle (I might have missed one)... I think North will go with Horne (Clayton put him at the top of the list when he spoke a while back).
I could see GWS prioritize Mac Andrew (they have no rucks and a glut of mids). They could also go with Gibcus given Davis is close to the end and Buckley is done for 22 and they have always lacked a key back tall interceptor and Nick Haynes will be 30 next year so might like Gibcus. The guy who spoke also lauded Rachelle and they said he has some Toby Greene about him which I definitely see that comparison.
GC need a coach more than anything so who know what way they go. They also do not have a ruck and are light on for defenders so Andrew and Gibcus might be options with their first pick.
Adelaide need class and an inside / outside mid would be a high priority. Hobbs would be a good choice for them.
Its an even draft at the top, so if we finish 2nd bottom - 5th bottom we're still well placed to get a top liner. Fingers crossed for Callaghan for mine. I reckon we might take him even if we finish bottom. He suits our list holes perfectly. No inside word, just seems the a sound choice in my opinion.

I’d imagine more that he provides a point of difference to their midfield group. Hornes very similar to their other mids

Picking based on needs and not best available is always a mistake. That said, I've not seen too much from Horne that screams "best player in the draft" so they may well just rate Callaghan higher. As far as juniors in senior state leagues, there have been other draftees that have played at a higher level - Daniel Rich being the most obvious as he played in two senior WAFL premierships before being drafted.

You seen much of Hobbs?
Never live, just vision & write ups..Looks like he has the class to go along with accumulation. His stats are very solid since returning from injury, looks like a very safe bet. Have you seen much of him ?
Being a GWS supporter who would you be selecting with your first picks (your own and the pies pick) ?

Never live, just vision & write ups..Looks like he has the class to go along with accumulation. His stats are very solid since returning from injury, looks like a very safe bet. Have you seen much of him ?
Being a GWS supporter who would you be selecting with your first picks (your own and the pies pick) ?
I wouldn't use 'class' to describe him, elite via hand as all contested mids should be, but the kicking is inconsistent in terms or penetration.

I'd take Callaghan, Horne, Gibcus or Andrew for our first pick in that order, need some promising young KPD projects so either, preferably Gibcus though, would do us well. Second pick is less clear given the group from 10-20 is fairly even, a mid like Sonsie or Chesser would be a need but it'd be hard to overlook Erasmus if available, ultimately I'm in the "hopefully not Rachele" camp

Breust will be iced now.
Maybe even Lewis.

Will help our cause further.
It will definitely happen. Its such a Hawthorn thing to do. We'll "do it for Clarko" in the final round over Richmond. Just like flogging GC last round last season. In the end it probably doesn't do a great deal of harm (see selecting DGB which looks a positive over McDonald) but its a little frustrating at the time.

I wouldn't use 'class' to describe him, elite via hand as all contested mids should be, but the kicking is inconsistent in terms or penetration.

I'd take Callaghan, Horne, Gibcus or Andrew for our first pick in that order, need some promising young KPD projects so either, preferably Gibcus though, would do us well. Second pick is less clear given the group from 10-20 is fairly even, a mid like Sonsie or Chesser would be a need but it'd be hard to overlook Erasmus if available, ultimately I'm in the "hopefully not Rachele" camp

Get your stinking paws off Erasmus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got an unfortunate feeling we'll win a game or two and end up with Pick 5. But I'm still on the Callaghan train if we don't.
Reckon there's more chance you'd get Horne ;)

You see him slipping? The lack of production for a 183cm mid the knock?
I think the biggest concern would be lack of improvement over the year, he's putting out samish performances, which are still eye catching to be fair. I also don't think there's quite the gap that some would suggest between Horne and Callaghan, so North (or whoever ends up with the spoon) will likely be drafting for particular traits/ style

Looked to me less like a concussion and more like he copped a hand in the eye, but I haven't had a look at it since.
Yeah, thought I saw same thing. Might just be ultra cautious given his recent history

That being said, Lewis has had a tough 2 years....I'd prefer him to get continuity and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back