AFL 2021 AFL Round 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Squiggle fappers surely all over the Suns. Have them as 19 point favs but can back them as outsiders

Does look the wrong price exacerbated by the recency bias of last week's results. Main problem is that backing crap teams is generally a road to the poor house.

North I think I would have at 1.8, they have a bit of Adelaide last year about them, barely could call them a football team at the start of the year but build into something resembling one later in the year and sneak a few wins.

3 I like

Richmond should belt the saints, Saints are a complete rabble.

I think on a neutral venue Freo are probably playing better than the pies (discounting the recent win for pies) but we do not play well at marvel. I don't have the numbers but our record there would be less than 20% I would think recently. Pies here comfortably (if at marvel)

Very rainy out west, again don't have the stats on this but pretty sure WC really don't like the wet. They rely pretty heavily on marks inside 50 and accurate kicking from Kennedy, Darling etc. Dogs value here.

The Eagles with the extra week in front of a packed Perth Stadium think will be too much for the Bulldogs. Eagles gave them a good game earlier in the year in Melbourne and probably should have gone on to win that one.

Do agree with the weather point of view, don't think the Eagles like the wet and dew as much as the other top teams. They much prefer a dry footy , getting into their forward 50 with the big 3 up forward. Again I am not looking too far ahead but 6 days is a long time, but the rain is predicted on Sunday.

The Eagles with the extra week in front of a packed Perth Stadium think will be too much for the Bulldogs. Eagles gave them a good game earlier in the year in Melbourne and probably should have gone on to win that one.

Do agree with the weather point of view, don't think the Eagles like the wet and dew as much as the other top teams. They much prefer a dry footy , getting into their forward 50 with the big 3 up forward. Again I am not looking too far ahead but 6 days is a long time, but the rain is predicted on Sunday.
Bulldogs may also have to go into strict quarantine because of the wa rules, can’t be helpful in their preparation

Agree, I think in completely dry weather WC are a good bet, Doggies struggle against teams that set up well behind the ball. Melb, Geelong and WC the 3 that play that the best. but in wet weather a lot of that goes out the window and becomes more about contested possession and who can get a few chaos goals. Which favours the second best contested team in the comp. Might be a wait and see if BOM is right on the day.

* any sort of weather report.... gws v blues was predicted 30mm rain and 50km winds on the day..... ended up going over 170...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, I think in completely dry weather WC are a good bet, Doggies struggle against teams that set up well behind the ball. Melb, Geelong and WC the 3 that play that the best. but in wet weather a lot of that goes out the window and becomes more about contested possession and who can get a few chaos goals. Which favours the second best contested team in the comp. Might be a wait and see if BOM is right on the day.

So the dogs have beaten one of those teams already and led Geelong when the siren went at the Cattery. No wonder they are easily the best comp in the side right now if that's the record against teams they struggle against.

So the dogs have beaten one of those teams already and led Geelong when the siren went at the Cattery. No wonder they are easily the best comp in the side right now if that's the record against teams they struggle against.

Here he is...
Beat WC at marvel. Lost to Geelong and Melbourne. They are all very good sides. No side is going to beat a team 100% of the time. The whole part of punting is finding the value out of that and yes if you look at my past posts throughout the year I rate the dogs quite highly. Tigers only ones ahead If they turn up in the second half of the year like they have the past few years.

had the Eagles been playing last week , i would have given the Dogs a better chance.

Just feel like that extra week rest will count for a bit. Luke Shuey is a chance to play this week , he will add some grunt in that middle or defence. With Tim Kelly a chance to return as well, it feels like the Eagles are getting back their best players at the right end of the season. Willie Rioli is a chance from The West Australian newspaper, to return back later in the season. (Usually they are spot on with their week by week team listings.) I will wait for the teams on Thursday- as I also see Naughton got injured and subbed out against Geelong.

Dogs have been racking up the frequent flyer points, last 3 weeks: travelled to Perth via Sydney from Melbourne, Geelong now back to Perth. Add to that the state border protocols with covid- im not sure they will have the best preparation going into this game. The Bulldogs have arrived in Perth already as I speak- and are based in Joondalup in the northern suburbs of Perth for their mandatory quarantine. Them being away from home for a bit longer may unsettle them.

Also expect a big crowd again for the match. The Eagles were not the better team in their last outing against Richmond. Richmond would have won that game if that was played in Melbourne or on any neutral venue. The home crowd lifted West Coast when it mattered- as they have done a number of times over there. If the game is tight and tense, I again expect them to carry them over the line.

50k went to the last game there for the Eagles, and with the Dogs going well, there will be another 50k+ in Perth on Sunday.

Last edited:
From The West Australian I am reading an article from Chris Robinson, who said that the Bulldogs had planned initially to head to Sydney after the game and were preparing to meet their families up there.

It was all turned on its head in the space of a few hours and they were asked by the AFL to fly to Perth under strict quarantine rules of the WA government. The coach mentioned that the change in circumstances was 'extreme'. Quote from Bulldogs coach Beveridge:

“Pre-game, there was a lot of organisation that went into going to New South Wales amongst everyone ... with family and friends and with each other.

“For it all to be shut down and now with the probability that the AFL are going to want us to be under tight restrictions somewhere to play the West Coast Eagles - that compared to having a few days off and refreshing is pretty extreme.

Mind you the Pies who were based in Joondalup last year , ended up beating West Coast over there.

How is GC only 2.5 wins above us on the ladder? What a rabble of a club.

If North wins this weekend then that surely has to be it for either Dew, or the guy in charge of the footy department.

Or all of the assistants.

Or some combination.

Only reason I'm not loading up on North in this one is I don't know if we are tanking or not.

And I hope we are.

How is GC only 2.5 wins above us on the ladder? What a rabble of a club.

If North wins this weekend then that surely has to be it for either Dew, or the guy in charge of the footy department.

Or all of the assistants.

Or some combination.

Only reason I'm not loading up on North in this one is I don't know if we are tanking or not.

And I hope we are.
The chairman of Gold Coast , Tony Cochrane looks under pressure as well. North Melbourne will win this and will have the crowd of Tasmanians behind them after Cochrane's comments today. Don't think personally it was too smart of Cochrane to come out and say Tasmania don't deserve the 19th team in the AFL. Think he needs to look after his own backyard first.

Everyone in that club is under pressure. Sports teams for some reason don't work up in the Gold Coast. A crowd of around mid 7000 only attended on the weekend. I actually feel a bit for them. Not sure if they can keep the likes of : Rankine, Lukosius , King up there if there is no incentive for finals, premierships or media attention etc. It seems like they can get away with performing crap every week without that media scrutiny like you do in Melbourne or Perth. A bigger club will be more likely to bounce back after being down the ladder for a year or two but something isn't right when your team is constantly down the bottom rungs of the ladder for over a decade or so. (A Collingwood, Adelaide, West Coast are examples ) Reflecting back on it, Tom Lynch made the best decision for his football to leave them. He didn't owe them an iota after being up there for 7-8 years or so.

I have been saying it for a while but this playing group has lost their respect for Stuart Dew. He of all people is under the most pump. I think he is part of the culture up there and think if he goes end of this year, they need someone experienced again. A Ross Lyon type would be ideal.

Sports teams for some reason don't work up in the Gold Coast.

We were saying the same thing on the North board back in 2006/7.

Even I have been surprised by how accurate those prognostications have proven since then.

The GC A-League team disappeared around 2012.

The NRL team remain, though, so that's a positive, at least.

But with AFL backing I honestly thought the Suns would be doing okay after ten years. I was wrong.

Not sure if they can keep the likes of : Rankine, Lukosius , King up there if there is no incentive for finals, premierships or media attention etc. It seems like they can get away with performing crap every week without that media scrutiny like you do in Melbourne or Perth.

Maybe this will help them retain certain players.

Guys who are happy to run around for paychecks without ever really putting in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back