Draft 2021 AFLW Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

the live Draft thread is now open here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greetings AFLW Draft people. 😊

Some of you may know me from the draft/trade board, others may not. For those that do, this may look a bit familiar :p

My club obviously still doesn't have a bloody license for the AFLW, so I'm a bit of a casual observer and I've been a bit slack – I hang out mostly by myself in the women's footy threads on the Essendon board. Our VFLW team just secured their first finals berth!

Anyway. The reason I'm here is because I was chatting to PMBangers about an AFLW draft order spreadsheet, if it was warranted, what might be needed, etc. With his input we've come up with this:

It has separate tabs filtering the draft order by state, which we thought might be helpful, as well as the full national draft order and a summary of the picks held by each club (as with the original AFL draft order spreadsheet).

I hope it's useful for you guys and if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback please let me know, or anything I've stuffed up... it should be as accurate and as useful as possible!

To embed it elsewhere on the forum, you can use the code below:

Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1Cp3TTe5flWEfX1GHXIpfQ_J73RcASknpUuxd5-xmbv4[/MEDIA]

(PMBangers may also like to put it in his sticky post.)

Pia Staltari from the Sandringham Dragons, originally from WA but moved when she was 15/16, is nominating for the WA draft zone. She's a good prospect so I wouldn't be shocked if she got picked up, pretty close to Mikayla Bowen I believe

I would like to hear more from the WAFLW faithful about their choices for picks. Skip the obvious choices of Amy Franklin and Courtney Rowley (Academies). What mature aged players deserve a shot? Fremantle may have 5 picks this season (rookies could affect that number) with West Coast having 3. Are there any players that stand out in the AFLW Draft League Combine? Or have some missed out like Aimee Ralph and Kate Bartlett that deserve more attention?

I would like to hear more from the WAFLW faithful about their choices for picks. Skip the obvious choices of Amy Franklin and Courtney Rowley (Academies). What mature aged players deserve a shot? Fremantle may have 5 picks this season (rookies could affect that number) with West Coast having 3. Are there any players that stand out in the AFLW Draft League Combine? Or have some missed out like Aimee Ralph and Kate Bartlett that deserve more attention?
Charlotte Thomas and Mikayla Tuhakaraina are the other two players in the AFLW academy and will go very high in the draft.
Thomas could have gone no. 1 in WA but has only played one game all year due to a broken arm.
Tuhakaraina has got insane speed and agility and comes from a rugby background like Courtney Hodder.
Charlotte Thomas and Mikayla Tuhakaraina are the other two players in the AFLW academy and will go very high in the draft.
Thomas could have gone no. 1 in WA but has only played one game all year due to a broken arm.
Tuhakaraina has got insane speed and agility and comes from a rugby background like Courtney Hodder.
Bartlett may get another chance but hasn’t worked at 2 AFL clubs already. Ralph is fast , tall and a great defender (ask Ella Roberts) but is 27 or 28 so may be too old to be picked up.
Doumanis has been invited to draft combine and has elite left foot and goal sense so must be a chance as a young mature age prospect.

Bartlett may get another chance but hasn’t worked at 2 AFL clubs already. Ralph is fast , tall and a great defender (ask Ella Roberts) but is 27 or 28 so may be too old to be picked up.
Doumanis has been invited to draft combine and has elite left foot and goal sense so must be a chance as a young mature age prospect.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles pick up Bartlett again.

She may have been at 2 clubs, but only played 1 game.

I just have a feeling that what Bartlett brings is something that doesn't show up well on the training track.

Which is the knack of turning up at the right spot and innate goal sense.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ralph could still give a team like West Coast five good years, and could easily fit into Fremantle's backline.

But then there's Charlotte Thomas.

Thomas showed a little in 2020 but has played around seven games in two years. This wrist injury has set her back big time. Thomas was training with West Coast in 2020, but with Bartlett kicking 36 goals for the WAFLW season I can't see Bartlett sliding past the fourth-round pick for the WA pool. I'm sure West Coast is also looking at Dana East who looks to have a touch of class in the centre of the ground.

Mikayla Tuhakaraina looks to be quite the speedster. I hope she gets picked up. Doumanis also looks to be a clever shot around the goal. Another good forward to add to the mix.

Last edited:

Geelong list manager says they're not bothered by where players are from (whether Metro or Country), back themselves to get them feeling part of it and get them fully onboard (about 12 minutes in)

I'm taking this to mean they're going to pick Prespakis or Rowbottom (and I'll be disappointed if they don't). Does anybody have a different take?

The last part about rewarding the VFLW players was interesting as well. That probably means they sign players like Olivia Fuller and Claudia Gunjaca before the draft rather than some of the older NAB League players (like Leonard or Tierney) that have played some VFLW. Geelong probably need another ruck anyway and Fuller has been solid in the games I've seen and just had a monster of a game statistically in the QF loss to the Pies (36 hitouts, 22 disposals, 9 clearances and 6 tackles). I was flicking between the two games yesterday, so I don't know if she was as good as the numbers suggest. The Cats did get dominated in the clearances.

Also, happy to see the Bombers continue on since it means we get at least one more game of Friswell, Gillard, Prespakis, Slender and Yassir. Count me in on the 'somebody with a weak midfield should take Nanscawen even if it's just for one year' bandwagon. Alana Barba looks very draftable as well.

I'm taking this to mean they're going to pick Prespakis or Rowbottom (and I'll be disappointed if they don't). Does anybody have a different take?

The last part about rewarding the VFLW players was interesting as well. That probably means they sign players like Olivia Fuller and Claudia Gunjaca before the draft rather than some of the older NAB League players (like Leonard or Tierney) that have played some VFLW. Geelong probably need another ruck anyway and Fuller has been solid in the games I've seen and just had a monster of a game statistically in the QF loss to the Pies (36 hitouts, 22 disposals, 9 clearances and 6 tackles). I was flicking between the two games yesterday, so I don't know if she was as good as the numbers suggest. The Cats did get dominated in the clearances.

Also, happy to see the Bombers continue on since it means we get at least one more game of Friswell, Gillard, Prespakis, Slender and Yassir. Count me in on the 'somebody with a weak midfield should take Nanscawen even if it's just for one year' bandwagon. Alana Barba looks very draftable as well.

I only watched the 2nd half but she was clearly our best player along with Webster imo - Fuller would be a decent option to provide support for Caris imo, and would allow Geelong to use their 4 selections inside the Vic talent pool top 10 without having to 'reach' for a ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably. She did have a really good second game. At least until that last kick that nearly cost them the game. But yeah, I'd probably put Schaap in Campbell's spot and Campbell in Gillard's spot.

Have to agree with you mate. A little bit unsure about the final decision for the team. The experts don't always get it right. We'll find out who the true talent is in a few weeks.

Have to agree with you mate. A little bit unsure about the final decision for the team. The experts don't always get it right. We'll find out who the true talent is in a few weeks.

we'll find out who the recruiters rate in a few weeks - we won't find out who the true talent is for at least a year, most likely longer.

Schaap will be snapped up early enough though, surely.

Schaap will be snapped up early enough though, surely.
How early is early, though?

I believe there's 34 open Vic list spots. 2 of those will be Geelong mature-agers. Richmond will take Makur Chuot with their last pick and North will take Rennie with one of theirs. That leaves 30 spots. You could probably reduce it further because Georgia Campbell will, most likely, be a FD selection and North will take Perri King and probably Sarah Skinner with late picks as Tasmanian zone selections. If we just say 30, we can split them into first ten, middle ten, last ten. Does anyone think Schaap goes in the first ten?

I believe there's 34 open Vic list spots. 2 of those will be Geelong mature-agers. Richmond will take Makur Chuot with their last pick and North will take Rennie with one of theirs. That leaves 30 spots. You could probably reduce it further because Georgia Campbell will, most likely, be a FD selection and North will take Perri King and probably Sarah Skinner with late picks as Tasmanian zone selections. If we just say 30, we can split them into first ten, middle ten, last ten. Does anyone think Schaap goes in the first ten?

Schaap seems very similar to Renae Saultitis. Very talented, but very small. I rate her highly, she was outstanding in the u19 championship. I've got her picked up in the second round.

Sarah Skinner and Perri King are interesting prospects, but North has way too many midfielders. It's almost to the point of overkill. I believe Skinner will get picked up, but not by North. She'd be a great fit for the Western Bulldogs, they could use some extra inside midfielders, and Skinner has massive credentials: TSLW B&F 2020, Team of the Year 2017,18,19,20. She'll probably make the VFLW Team of the Year as well.

Schaap seems very similar to Renae Saultitis. Very talented, but very small. I rate her highly, she was outstanding in the u19 championship. I've got her picked up in the second round.

Sarah Skinner and Perri King are interesting prospects, but North has way too many midfielders. It's almost to the point of overkill. I believe Skinner will get picked up, but not by North. She'd be a great fit for the Western Bulldogs, they could use some extra inside midfielders, and Skinner has massive credentials: TSLW B&F 2020, Team of the Year 2017,18,19,20. She'll probably make the VFLW Team of the Year as well.
North have been flying Skinner in from Tassie for games. I just don't see them going to all that trouble just to let her wind up at another club. Since she still lives down there, they can have her nominate Tassie and take her with their last pick. Also, she's played a lot of forward in the games I've watched. I think they'll be able to find a spot for her - they've got 6 open. Having too much depth is a pretty good problem to have, especially ahead of more expansion. They've also got a few other draftable players on their VFLW team, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. My guess is they go for juniors with their first two picks, but they've shown a willingness to use early picks on mature-agers before.

North have been flying Skinner in from Tassie for games. I just don't see them going to all that trouble just to let her wind up at another club. Since she still lives down there, they can have her nominate Tassie and take her with their last pick. Also, she's played a lot of forward in the games I've watched. I think they'll be able to find a spot for her - they've got 6 open. Having too much depth is a pretty good problem to have, especially ahead of more expansion. They've also got a few other draftable players on their VFLW team, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. My guess is they go for juniors with their first two picks, but they've shown a willingness to use early picks on mature-agers before.

Keep in mind Sarah Skinner can nominate Victoria if she chooses to. If North wants to use her as a forward she could fill a spot, but it's not what they need. They need key forwards. Right now they have three pure forwards no taller than 167cm. Garner should be pushed forward. I know she smashed the clearances out of the park last season, but she could be so much more damaging up forward. I don't understand why they don't have faith in their other midfield personnel (Emma Kearney, Ash Riddell, Jenna Bruton, Ellie Gavalas, Mia King, and soon Perri King). It's great to have depth, however, it needs to cover all positions.

Can someone explain how the hell Geelong get 3 picks in the top 9, but the Saints only get 1 in the top 20??!!

Club - Total Wins - Total Matched
Geelong - 6 - 22
St Kilda 5 - 15

Cats VFLW beat the Saints in the finals today.
Absolute crap that the Cats are gifted all these early picks and the Saints got a token second rounder that might not even be used. Dodgy AF.

Do we know that Schaap has only nominated Victoria?

I think Geelong might well take her with their 4th pick; just by the very little that our list manager spoke of in the ''Credit to the Girls'' podcast it would seem that she'd fit the bill, a quick attacking player. Just a guess.

Cats VFLW beat the Saints in the finals today.
Absolute crap that the Cats are gifted all these early picks and the Saints got a token second rounder that might not even be used. Dodgy AF.

Absolutely agree
The wise & fair AFL commission came to this decision by this quote
"In providing Special Assistance, the AFL Commission considered a range of factors including the win/loss record of these Clubs over the past two seasons, percentage, performance against teams above and below them on the ladder and an assessment of their respective list profiles."
So apparently in taking the above factors into account Geelong were in a really bad way and Saints & Tigers were going okay🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back