List Mgmt. 2021 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD:

Picks:
29, 32, 33

The Magpies are coming off a great season, getting within a kick of an AFLW Grand Final and pushing the eventual premiers Brisbane all the way. The Magpies will be in and out of the draft quickly once they start, with three consecutive picks in the Victorian pool. Collingwood will almost certainly look to bring in a tall option given the retirements of Sharni Norder and Abbey Green, though Sabrina Frederick and Alison Downie coming into the side gives them some cover in that area. They might want a tall forward option who can roll through the ruck as a long-term solution, which means Tahlia Gillard is a potential player who they bring in, though they could also look internally at VFLW leading goalkicker Imogen Barnett who is right under the Magpies’ nose.

Other Collingwood VFLW players who have stepped up this year include Jasmine Ferguson and Marla Neal, with Matilda Zander and Olivia Meagher among the most consistent talents for the black and white. From a NAB League Girls perspective, the Eastern Ranges and Oakleigh Chargers have a good connection with Collingwood, and Keeley Sherar or Brooke Vickers could be options for the Magpies. Gippsland Power ruck Grace Matser, or Dandenong Stingrays forward Ashleigh Richards are others who could fill needs for the Pies. Ex-Demon Tegan Cunningham is a readymade Round 1 replacement inside 50 as a forward/ruck.

COLLINGWOOD:

Picks:
29, 32, 33

The Magpies are coming off a great season, getting within a kick of an AFLW Grand Final and pushing the eventual premiers Brisbane all the way. The Magpies will be in and out of the draft quickly once they start, with three consecutive picks in the Victorian pool. Collingwood will almost certainly look to bring in a tall option given the retirements of Sharni Norder and Abbey Green, though Sabrina Frederick and Alison Downie coming into the side gives them some cover in that area. They might want a tall forward option who can roll through the ruck as a long-term solution, which means Tahlia Gillard is a potential player who they bring in, though they could also look internally at VFLW leading goalkicker Imogen Barnett who is right under the Magpies’ nose.

Other Collingwood VFLW players who have stepped up this year include Jasmine Ferguson and Marla Neal, with Matilda Zander and Olivia Meagher among the most consistent talents for the black and white. From a NAB League Girls perspective, the Eastern Ranges and Oakleigh Chargers have a good connection with Collingwood, and Keeley Sherar or Brooke Vickers could be options for the Magpies. Gippsland Power ruck Grace Matser, or Dandenong Stingrays forward Ashleigh Richards are others who could fill needs for the Pies. Ex-Demon Tegan Cunningham is a readymade Round 1 replacement inside 50 as a forward/ruck.

You are a gem, Jen. Thanks for the news you source.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking a purely critical look at the decisions, I'm a little surprised by 2 things.
1. They didn't take a young Ruck
2. Given the depth of talent usually left over in SA, that we didn't keep our last selection to get one after the draft (like last year).

But, given lists are so small and contracts only 2 years (max), i think they feel they can get a ruck over the next few years.
I assume they felt that the talent left in SA was less than what was on the board and so decided to take the gamble.
With the way the competition is currently crafted and max list sizes, you can't carry many for 'purely development'.
so i think its more about "who can have an impact straight away".

We had a good year with injury to key players (relatively speaking), but i think they have gone to shore up the depth with young talent.
I'd expect Steph and maybe Stacey to hang them up this year.

Maybe they feel Imogen B can become a key defender if required?
Its an interesting direction.....lets see how it plays out!

We have a young ruck. Bella Smith. But more of a ruck/forward, got her from SA last year. Fowler can also ruck if need be.

Yeah i know we got Smith last year post draft (i made reference to this in my post).
I just haven't seen enough from her this year to suggest she'll make the top grade.

But on reflection, i'm probably being too harsh.
Year 1, behind Sharni (who really was very very good!) and Erica. Although Erica seems to be more of a plug and play type player rather than a full time ruck.

With Allison coming in.....perhaps i'll cool my jets on this one until next year !!!!
Thanks for reminding me (thought smith was older btw!)

Yeah i know we got Smith last year post draft (i made reference to this in my post).
I just haven't seen enough from her this year to suggest she'll make the top grade.

But on reflection, i'm probably being too harsh.
Year 1, behind Sharni (who really was very very good!) and Erica. Although Erica seems to be more of a plug and play type player rather than a full time ruck.

With Allison coming in.....perhaps i'll cool my jets on this one until next year !!!!
Thanks for reminding me (thought smith was older btw!)
Also with Sabrina could be used in the ruck. We do have a few talls as options.
But a ruck may be something they'll focus next years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back