AFLW 2021 AFLW Fixture, Ticketing info - Updated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me, unless border restrictions change, the last 3 rounds for the WA teams will have to be:

Round 7
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
Melb/Carl v Frem

Round 8
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
NM v Frem in Hobart or Bris v Frem

Round 9
WC v GWS

So the Dockers would head straight to Tasmania or Queensland as soon as they finish that R7 game in Melbourne. Meaning that, by the end of R9, they will have spent long enough outside of Victoria to be able to head back to WA without any issues.

If we stop whinging and just use our brains for one ******* second, we can figure out that the remaining 5 games in each of those rounds must consist of 7 or 8 Vic teams and 2 or 3 non-Vic teams. In other words, no, there will still be plenty of games in Victoria unless another catastrophe occurs.
We’ve played WestCoast and Fremantle already just because Freo are playing WestCoast twice not sure the AFL will fixture double up in the last 4 weeks

We’ve played WestCoast and Fremantle already just because Freo are playing WestCoast twice not sure the AFL will fixture double up in the last 4 weeks
It's either that or West Coast end the season with 3 games away against Victorian teams, even though they've already had to do an extended trip on the road.

On the other hand, the solution I posted above means the AFL will save a s**t tonne of money on relocation costs, and the Eagles won't be forced to quarantine once the season is over.

Seems to me, unless border restrictions change, the last 3 rounds for the WA teams will have to be:

Round 7
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
Melb/Carl v Frem

Round 8
WC v Bris or Ade v WC

Round 9
WC v GWS

So the Dockers would head straight to Tasmania or Queensland as soon as they finish that R7 game in Melbourne. Meaning that, by the end of R9, they will have spent long enough outside of Victoria to be able to head back to WA without any issues.

If we stop whinging and just use our brains for one ******* second, we can figure out that the remaining 5 games in each of those rounds must consist of 7 or 8 Vic teams and 2 or 3 non-Vic teams. In other words, no, there will still be plenty of games in Victoria unless another catastrophe occurs.
Okay so explain to me why we have had to play 5 away games in a row? Why couldn’t we have played some of the teams we did play away on the Gold Coast?

I’m a big supporter of the AFLW but integrity issues like this prove why the league has a long way to go if they are going to produce a fair competition. We thought getting rid of conferences would help....

What p*sses me off is that we get teams that haven’t left their city all season and we have been made to play 5 away games in a row with the past four games all interstate...

Okay so explain to me why we have had to play 5 away games in a row? Why couldn’t we have played some of the teams we did play away on the Gold Coast?
Could it be that major state capitals are the areas most prone to sudden outbreaks and lockdowns, thus the AFL wanted to get in its full quota of games in those cities while they know they can? I can't say for sure, but my guess is there are a lot more factors involved than either one of us are aware of.

If the status quo remains but the Suns don't finish the season with 3 home games, then it would be fair to criticise the AFL's fixturing and I would be leading the charge. Until then, you're just engaging in simplistic and counter-productive complaining. The insinuation in your previous post that the Suns have had a rougher run than the Giants is quite ungracious, too.

Round 7
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
Melb/Carl v Frem

Round 8
WC v Bris or Ade v WC

Round 9
WC v GWS

Went into it a bit more and now I think that WC will finish with Bris in WA, GC in QLD and then Adel in SA. If the WA border opens up to Vic in time, the last fixture could be swapped around to WC v Rich and Adel v WB instead, given that they all finished bottom 4 last year and it wouldn't throw anything out of whack.

But as it stands, and based on the rules, it doesn't look like there's a way around the Tigers and Bulldogs meeting each other twice in the last three weeks.

Went into it a bit more and now I think that WC will finish with Bris in WA, GC in QLD and then Adel in SA. If the WA border opens up to Vic in time, the last fixture could be swapped around to WC v Rich and Adel v WB instead, given that they all finished bottom 4 last year and it wouldn't throw anything out of whack.

But as it stands, and based on the rules, it doesn't look like there's a way around the Tigers and Bulldogs meeting each other twice in the last three weeks.
I guess the important scenario is does Collingwood travel at all this season Brisbane were schedule to play both Collingwood and Geelong does that happen

I guess the important scenario is does Collingwood travel at all this season Brisbane were schedule to play both Collingwood and Geelong does that happen
That really isn't what's most important. There will probably be a few teams that won't end up travelling interstate all season. Unavoidable with the current restrictions in place.

But if I had to guess, I'd say Collingwood might get Adelaide, Brisbane and St Kilda in the last 3 rounds which will lead to a game in SA or QLD or perhaps even both.

Anybody who can, find a problem with this PREDICTION/SUGGESTION:

Round 7
GC v Geel
Melb v Adel
NM v GWS
Carl v Frem
StK v Coll
WB v Rich
WC v Bris

Round 8
Melb v Geel
GWS v Carl
GC v WC
WB v NM
Adel v Coll
Rich v StK
Bris v Frem

Round 9
Geel v GWS
GC v StK
Rich v WB*
Carl v Melb
NM v Frem in Hobart
Coll v Bris
Adel v WC*

*WB and WC to swap if borders allow

Follows all fixture rules and border restrictions, and every team ends up with either 4 or 5 home games

In other recent fixture news, Round 5 of the men's season looks like this:

xza5.png
xza5.png

Once again, no clear nor sensible timeslot dedicated for the AFLW grand final. Seems highly likely to clash with the Bulldogs-Suns game. Or with the Swans-Giants, if Fremantle make it and earn home ground advantage.

I think the biggest potential for a scheduling headache will be if it features Carlton in Victoria. Decent chance of that getting curtain raiser status ahead of the boys on Saturday night, which I'm sure would go down well.
With the announcement of the AFL grand final news during the week, it has kickstarted some talk about the details for the women's decider.

Very unlikely to be on Sunday given that Adelaide, Fremantle, Melbourne and North's men's teams are playing that day. And clearly Channel 7 aren't willing to budge on that 3pm Sunday slot not being used for a men's game.

If Collingwood end up hosting the grand final, it could indeed be played at the MCG but no later than a 1.30pm Saturday start because of the 7.30pm men's match between Carlton and Port later that day. I'm basing this on what Nicole Livingstone said about the 2019 AFLW grand final: if they had played it on the Saturday, it would've had to start at 10.30am to turn it around in time for the 4.40pm Port v Carlton men's game.

If Fremantle host, it'll be Saturday ~1pm local time at Optus Stadium.

If Adelaide host, it'll be Saturday ~1pm local time at Adelaide Oval.

If Melbourne or North host, it'll be Saturday ~1pm local time at Ikon Park or mayyyybe the MCG.

If Brisbane host Collingwood or Melbourne or North, it might be Sunday ~1pm local time at the Gabba but I'm not 100% about that.

If Brisbane host Fremantle or Adelaide, I don't think it could be held on the Sunday. The question would probably just be whether they hold it as a curtain-raiser to the men's game on Saturday night (PR disaster), or if they go bold and play it at Saturday 1pm as an entirely separate event (annoying for supporters).

Those are all the venue options I'm entertaining because I don't think any other team will finish top 5. For any of the above to become unfeasible, the Bulldogs would have to go on a magical run and end up making the grand final from 6th place.

Usual anything-can-change disclaimer applies.

When considering the first week of finals, the following details should be noted:

Channel 7 aren't covering a men's game on 4 April (which is Easter Sunday). But they are covering West Coast v Port Adelaide on the Saturday night, at 8.10pm EDT.

The one game in Melbourne on Easter Sunday is Carlton v Fremantle at Marvel, scheduled for a 3.20pm EST start.

The men's games in Melbourne on the Saturday are Rich v Syd (1.45pm EDT at MCG) and Ess v StK (4.35pm EDT at Marvel).

AFLW Round 9 features Adelaide and Collingwood playing on the Sunday. That means if either team ends up with a week 1 home final, it'll probably be on Easter Sunday to ensure they get a 7-day break.

Adelaide Oval was used for the Crows' home prelim against Geelong in 2019, even though they had never played there before and a huge crowd wasn't expected (ended up getting 13k).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back