AFLW 2021 AFLW Fixture, Ticketing info - Updated!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Giants will relocate to Adelaide on Friday. It means they will be able to enter WA in time for their Round 1 game v Fremantle (again, supposing no other border changes occur, consider that an implied disclaimer in all further discussion).

Huge respect to the GWS players and staff for uprooting their lives to give the season the best chance of kicking off as scheduled.

Last edited:
For those wondering about timing of ticket sales, the Bulldogs website has this to say:
It is anticipated tickets will go on sale round-by-round for a significant period of the season.

Tickets are currently scheduled to go on sale on Monday January 25 for the Round 1 away match against St Kilda at RSEA Park, with tickets for the first home game at VU Whitten Oval in Round 2 against Carlton on sale from Monday February 1.

Ticket agents will be confirmed shortly, with current on-sale timings subject to change.

Why move to Adelaide when they could have gone to Canberra, they play a game or two here each season so it would be a more familiar environment.

Why move to Adelaide when they could have gone to Canberra, they play a game or two here each season so it would be a more familiar environment.

Guessing because Manuka Oval (usual playing venue) is currently being used for the BBL, and not sure if it's on standby for future BBL matches should changes to that season be required

The current AFLW season has a match scheduled for March 6, so obviously the plan is that the oval will be ready to go for then. But maybe some uncertainty about other currently available facilities, versus ovals being in use for cricket etc

I'm guessing that Adelaide has ready to go options for them

The following question, and more, covered in the above link.
What do I need to do to attend an AFLW match?
All attendees must obtain a ticket in advance of the match via the assigned ticket agent, this includes juniors under 18 who are entitled to a free ticket. Tickets will not be available for sale at the match.

AFLW Club members will receive instructions from their Club on how to access tickets.

I will post a list of what AFLW members are entitled to at each club, if I'm able to find enough info to complete it.

Suns play Freo.. wow we really are getting the rough end of the stick this season. 4 games in, 3 contenders we have faced..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really setting Freo up for some hub life later in the season - three home games by R4.

Not sure of the strategy though - because West Coast will have only played once at home by end of R4.
Same thing with Gold Coast and Adelaide

There may be some Melb clubs too but I dont count them because West Coast, Gold Coast and Adelaide have all needed to TRAVEL interstate three out of four weeks

Round 5 Fixture

Friday, February 26
Geelong v Richmond at GMHBA Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Saturday, February 27
Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants at VU Whitten Oval, 3:10pm AEDT

Fremantle v Brisbane at Fremantle Oval, 2.10pm AWST

North Melbourne v Carlton at UTAS Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Sunday, February 28
Adelaide v St. Kilda at Norwood Oval, 12:40pm ACDT

Collingwood v Melbourne at Victoria Park, 3:10pm AEDT

West Coast v Gold Coast at Mineral Resources Park, 2:10pm AWST

So did the Saints get an exemption to fly into Adelaide? I was under the impression that "Travel from Greater Melbourne is still prohibited".

Interested to see if Fremantle and Collingwood, the two currently undefeated teams, actually end up playing each other in the H&A. If they do, it would mean the Pies play all of last year's top 4 teams, which is something that shouldn't be fixtured for anybody (and wasn't, originally).

Last edited:
I was wondering all summer when this solution would be brought up.

Also, the 4-6-4 structure is mentioned again at the end of the article (and described as a rule, which is stronger wording than I expected):
The fixture rules set in place at the start of the 2021 NAB AFLW season will remain.

They state that clubs can only play a minimum of two and maximum of three teams from the top four and bottom four based off the 2020 ladder (from combined conferences) across the nine rounds.
So, if they do go with the double-dip solution, the only real challenge will be to get Fremantle playing two matches against last year's top 4 teams. If borders remain as they are, the easiest way would probably be to have them play NM in Tas and Melb in NT.

This fixturing is a complete joke. Look at this:

Adelaide- 3 home, 3 away (3 interstate trips)
Brisbane- 3 home, 3 away (3 interstate trips)
Carlton- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
Collingwood- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTESTATE TRIPS)
Fremantle- 4 home, 2 away (1 interstate trip)
Geelong- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)
Gold Coast- 1 home, 5 away (4 interstate trips)
GWS- 4 home, 2 away (3 interstate trips INCLUDING ACT HOME GAME)
Melbourne- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
North Melbourne- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip INCLUDING TAS HOME GAME)
Richmond- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)
St Kilda- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
West Coast- 3 home, 3 away (2 interstate trips)
Western Bulldogs- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)

This fixturing is a complete joke. Look at this:

Adelaide- 3 home, 3 away (3 interstate trips)
Brisbane- 3 home, 3 away (3 interstate trips)
Carlton- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
Collingwood- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTESTATE TRIPS)
Fremantle- 4 home, 2 away (1 interstate trip)
Geelong- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)
Gold Coast- 1 home, 5 away (4 interstate trips)
GWS- 4 home, 2 away (3 interstate trips INCLUDING ACT HOME GAME)
Melbourne- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
North Melbourne- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip INCLUDING TAS HOME GAME)
Richmond- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)
St Kilda- 3 home, 3 away (1 interstate trip)
West Coast- 3 home, 3 away (2 interstate trips)
Western Bulldogs- 3 home, 3 away (ZERO INTERSTATE TRIPS)
The last 3 rounds better be the Vic teams all travelling interstate with 1 game in vic a week.

Seems to me, unless border restrictions change, the last 3 rounds for the WA teams will have to be:

Round 7
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
Melb/Carl v Frem

Round 8
WC v Bris or Ade v WC
NM v Frem in Hobart or Bris v Frem

Round 9
WC v GWS
NM v Frem in Hobart or Bris v Frem

So the Dockers would head straight to Tasmania or Queensland as soon as they finish that R7 game in Melbourne. Meaning that, by the end of R9, they will have spent long enough outside of Victoria to be able to head back to WA without any issues.

If we stop whinging and just use our brains for one ******* second, we can figure out that the remaining 5 games in each of those rounds must consist of 7 or 8 Vic teams and 2 or 3 non-Vic teams. In other words, no, there will still be plenty of games in Victoria unless another catastrophe occurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back