AFLW 2021 AFLW Fixture, Ticketing info - Updated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumping back to the issue of memberships, this is from the article just posted on the North website:

AFLW members will receive FREE access to all home games in 2021, with $10 tickets required for the general public. More information on how to enter the games as an AFLW member will be communicated shortly, with members needing to comply with an Covid-19 guidelines enforced.

Free-to-air games for each Vic club:
Carl, Geel - 7 each
Melb, WB - 6 each
Coll, NM - 5 each
Rich, StK - 3 each

Round 1 gets an extra game, but it takes it off Round 8 which only has 2.

One of those Round 8 FTA games will be Richmond v Adelaide at 5pm Friday, just to further highlight one of the many ineradicable issues of having the women's season overlap with the men's.

Thrilled with the Saints getting 4 Friday night fixtures in a 9 round season, now we have to prove that we're worthy of it.
Not sure there's a heap to be worthy of, it isn't the coveted Friday night footy slot that we've come to know. Channel 7 aren't the host broadcaster for most (and all of St Kilda's) Friday AFLW games.

I only have 1 issue with the fixture. Obviously it'd be difficult to decide who gets 5 home and who gets 4, but I think it's just about perfect. But I think 1 team has one too little, and looking at it, it's easy to fix.

North Melbourne imo should have 1 more home game. Yeah, it is the clubs choice to play in Tasmania, but it's still harsh on the fans who only get 2 home games in Victoria. Could at least offset losing games interstate by playing 1 more game at Arden Street.

And it's easy to solve, Carlton have no reason to have an extra home game. Just switch the rd 4 game from Princess Park to Arden Street.
Harsh to only see 2 games in Victoria? Are you forgetting that there are other Victorian teams that North will play too including at Ikon, VU and GMHBA?

I would've gone $5 max

ps - I have the $95 membership option that gets me reserved grand stand seating anyway, so I dont care.
But I think $10 might force people away.
Might have to advertise that it'll still be free for those under 18 (which are a large percentage of attendees.........At least in Adelaide)
absolutely agree.
They should've been far more incremental>
Have it as $5 for adults couple of years, then you can work up to $10

because as Dirty Bird mentioned, by raising the price straight to $10 you'll price out a fair chunk of spectators.
Most people are fore more likely to just part with a fiver if they want to go to a game on a whim. Sub consciously seeing a double digit price also warns people away.

because as Dirty Bird mentioned, by raising the price straight to $10 you'll price out a fair chunk of spectators.
Most people are fore more likely to just part with a fiver if they want to go to a game on a whim. Sub consciously seeing a double digit price also warns people away.
"A fair chunk of spectators", "most people"... How the hell do you know that? Pure silly talk.

"A fair chunk of spectators", "most people"... How the hell do you know that? Pure silly talk.
I guess we'll see. I shouldn't have used such definitive language though you're right. Rather I should've stated that that was what I "think" will happen.

Harsh to only see 2 games in Victoria? Are you forgetting that there are other Victorian teams that North will play too including at Ikon, VU and GMHBA?
If you're a member you get 2 games covered
Then youd have to pay extra for away games.

I guess we'll see.
We actually won't, unless we gain access to a parallel universe where everything is the same except tickets are $5 instead of $10.
I should've stated that that was what I "think" will happen.
Well I know the AFL have conducted extensive research and surveys about this, instead of just going off a hunch.

I also know that higher priced tickets incentivises greater promotion of the product, which is something the Free Entry Truthers have never got their heads around.

The more important question is whether the league should be bothered about driving away adults, however many, who don't believe the price of admission to an AFLW game is worth ten bucks. I say good riddance to those people, their "support" isn't required.

Looking at all those club tweets about the fixtures is pretty confronting in terms of the sheer lack of interest (if we gauge that by likes) these are all less than 50 total likes. I know Twitter isn’t everything but as an indicator it’s a bit dire no?

I think that may be a reflection of the sheer lack of desire for footy-related news in mid-December. Yes, the 2020 AFLW season was cruelly ended early without a result, but in the mean time we've had a disjointed seven-and-a-bit month season in the men's comp and now borders opening and people organising travel/social gatherings/social sport/returns to work etc. I wouldn't be too worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are the AFLW games played at venues on the day before or after (or on the same day in one case) as AFL Community Series matches:

AFLW2021fixtureAFLpreseason1.png

Also, GWS confirm their membership will cover entry to all home games. But the article makes a rather big song and dance about it, which kinda suggests it might not have been the inevitability that I assumed. So at this point I'm not confident there'll be a league-wide standard approach to the matter.
Btw the Giants' first game of the season is supposed to be in WA, a little over a month away. Just thought I'd casually mention it right now for no relevant reason whatsoever.

In further evidence of how ridiculous it is to have the women's season overlap with the men's, we need only look at today's fixture announcement.

Round 1 AFL / Round 8 AFLW:
  • Both Gold Coast teams start at the exact same time.
  • North Melbourne women start at Arden Street 20 minutes after the men finish at Marvel.
  • Geelong women finish after the start of Geelong men.
  • Brisbane double-header at the Gabba will see the women finish about 50 minutes before the men start.
  • As mentioned previously, a reduction to two AFLW games on FTA TV in Melbourne, and one of those is a Friday 5pm start.
And you can bet there's plenty more where that came from. In other words, overlapping seasons makes it very difficult for people (especially those with kids) to give both their AFL and AFLW teams full support, or outright impossible in some cases.

But, I can't blame AFL House for these clashes, rather they deserve congratulations for listening to feedback. This scheduling shemozzle is what the vast majority of fans, club administrators and players seem to want.

In further evidence of how ridiculous it is to have the women's season overlap with the men's, we need only look at today's fixture announcement.

Round 1 AFL / Round 8 AFLW:
  • Both Gold Coast teams start at the exact same time.
  • North Melbourne women start at Arden Street 20 minutes after the men finish at Marvel.
  • Geelong women finish after the start of Geelong men.
  • Brisbane double-header at the Gabba will see the women finish about 50 minutes before the men start.
  • As mentioned previously, a reduction to two AFLW games on FTA TV in Melbourne, and one of those is a Friday 5pm start.
And you can bet there's plenty more where that came from. In other words, overlapping seasons makes it very difficult for people (especially those with kids) to give both their AFL and AFLW teams full support, or outright impossible in some cases.

But, I can't blame AFL House for these clashes, rather they deserve congratulations for listening to feedback. This scheduling shemozzle is what the vast majority of fans, club administrators and players seem to want.
This suns direct clash has me fuming...

Here's the all-in-one for your laptop's screensaver and bedroom wall.

xza1.png

In other recent fixture news, Round 5 of the men's season looks like this:

xza5.png

Once again, no clear nor sensible timeslot dedicated for the AFLW grand final. Seems highly likely to clash with the Bulldogs-Suns game. Or with the Swans-Giants, if Fremantle make it and earn home ground advantage.

I think the biggest potential for a scheduling headache will be if it features Carlton in Victoria. Decent chance of that getting curtain raiser status ahead of the boys on Saturday night, which I'm sure would go down well.

Here's the all-in-one for your laptop's screensaver and bedroom wall.

View attachment 1031549

In other recent fixture news, Round 5 of the men's season looks like this:

View attachment 1031550

Once again, no clear nor sensible timeslot dedicated for the AFLW grand final. Seems highly likely to clash with the Bulldogs-Suns game. Or with the Swans-Giants, if Fremantle make it and earn home ground advantage.

I think the biggest potential for a scheduling headache will be if it features Carlton in Victoria. Decent chance of that getting curtain raiser status ahead of the boys on Saturday night, which I'm sure would go down well.
It will be a morning GF

It will be a morning GF

They'll probably be hoping for a Melb based team to be hosting it so they can play it at like 10am Saturday morning, at Marvel before the Bulldogs mens match

It will be a morning GF
No it won't. A preference for a clashing afternoon game, rather than a non-clashing morning game, has been stated in the past. This from 2019:
“I think the Saturday would’ve been more disastrous for us,” Livingstone told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

"If we had have been able to manage a Saturday (grand final) it would have pushed us to a time zone of about 10.30 in the morning, Adelaide time.

“To be able to clear a venue and for Port Adelaide to be able to set up with signage all over Adelaide Oval meant that we would have had to play at 10.30 in the morning. That would have been a disservice to the AFLW."
Clearly that's still the view of the league, as no morning AFLW matches have been fixtured for 2021, but there are dozens of clashes with men's games.

No it won't. A preference for a clashing afternoon game, rather than a non-clashing morning game, has been stated in the past. This from 2019:

Clearly that's still the view of the league, as no morning AFLW matches have been fixtured for 2021, but there are dozens of clashes with men's games.
The suns men’s play in Melbourne that Saturday arvo (one of only three games in Melbourne for the year) it would be disastrous for a clash with that game for us especially if we are in the women’s grand final which is a big possibility

The suns men’s play in Melbourne that Saturday arvo (one of only three games in Melbourne for the year) it would be disastrous for a clash with that game for us especially if we are in the women’s grand final which is a big possibility
Yeah sorry it's actually not a big possibility. The teams that have a high chance of making the GF are Freo, NM, Carl, Adel, Melb and Coll, and it's no coincidence that none of their men's teams are playing Sat arvo that weekend.

But if by some miracle the Suns and Dogs make the AFLW grand final, it would then most likely be played on Sunday at 1pm.

So if I understand the current border restrictions (unlikely, but I'll try anyway) and assuming they don't change over the next two weeks (also unlikely, but just go with it), the status of the Round 1 fixture is as follows:

Carl-Coll, StK-WB, Geel-NM: Vic teams playing each other in Vic, no issues there.

Melb-Adel: Open border between Vic and SA, no issues there.

Rich-Bris: Victoria, like most places, is closed off to greater Brisbane. A possible solution would be to play the game in NT or somewhere in QLD like the Gold Coast or Cairns. Both teams could also travel to Canberra, but given the ongoing cricket season and GWS' movements, I suspect there isn't a suitable ground free for it.

Frem-GWS: WA closed to Victoria (where the Giants planned to be based ahead of R1). A possible solution would be to play the game in SA or NT.

GC-WC: WA closed to Queensland. A possible solution would be to play the game in SA or NT.

Therefore with 16+ days still to go, despite some undesirable venue adjustments, the season is still plausibly on track to proceed in its originally planned calendar slot, without any teams having to relocate except for the already-displaced GWS (who are in turn on track to leave Albury this week and enter Victoria).

GC-WC: WA closed to Queensland. A possible solution would be to play the game in SA or NT
We may be opening after 2 weeks in WA provided no community transmission I hear

The Giants will relocate to Adelaide on Friday. It means they will be able to enter WA in time for their Round 1 game v Fremantle (again, supposing no other border changes occur, consider that an implied disclaimer in all further discussion).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back