AFLW 2021 AFLW MVP thread - Round 9, 17pt win over Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to the shorter season, we'll again run a single thread for all MVP votes

Voting will open at the completion of our match each round and be available until the day of our next match, and yes the thread title will be updated to reflect what round we are in

Let's stick with the known formula for voting:

5 Amy McDonald - strong in the contest, disposal more effective than it looks, too.
4 Meg McDonald - fought hard, used her strength to straighten us up on occasion.
3 Jordan Ivey - laid some crunching tackles and bumps, used the ball well when she got it.
2 Olivia Purcell - big 2nd half, still asked to do way too much though.
1 Denby Taylor - probably her best game for the club; still developing and has had some injury issues, but is agile, has a bit of toe and can use it well.

Round 1 voting is now closed, Round 2 voting for our match against Collingwood will open at the end of the match

Round 2 voting is now closed, Round 3 voting for our match against the Bulldogs will open at the end of the match

5 Amy McDonald - Outstanding in traffic when the ball is ping-ponging around. Tackles exceptionally well, too
4 Phoebe McWilliams - best game in some time, worked her way in front, took some good grabs, used the ball well by foot and kicked our only goal.
3 Meg McDonald - So strong in the contest, extremely honest effort as always.
2 Maddie Boyd - Took a number of strong contested marks, uses the ball well when she has a second; found McWilliams a couple of times.
1 Jordan Ivey - Having a consistent season so far; disciplined game on Friday night. Swings onto the left and relieves pressure with long kicks to advantage.

HM Sophie Van De Heuval - best game I've seen her play, hasn't sulked about being sent back, starting to back in her pace - should be a better kick, nothing wrong with her technique, but sprays them about sometimes.

Great to see our talls stand up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. Amy McDonald - just wish that when she has time & space that she'd back herself in by foot rather than instinctually looking for a handball option
4. Crockett-Grills
3. McWilliams
2. Meg McDonald
1. Boyd

5. Amy McDonald - just wish that when she has time & space that she'd back herself in by foot rather than instinctually looking for a handball option
4. Crockett-Grills
3. McWilliams
2. Meg McDonald
1. Boyd

I don't disagree, really. But I would make one related observation from the limited amount of our AFLW Cats I've watched so far this season.

Amy is now regularly winning the ball in very close confines, with opposition players all around her. In contested situations like that, I can understand why she is looking to quickly get the ball to players who are in more space than she is at the time. After all, I'm not seeing too many of our scrappy kicks forward from congestion doing anything other than going back over our heads with interest at the moment. So I'm relatively comfortable with her not just kicking the ball away when there aren't clear options on for her to target.

I don't disagree, really. But I would make one related observation from the limited amount of our AFLW Cats I've watched so far this season.

Amy is now regularly winning the ball in very close confines, with opposition players all around her. In contested situations like that, I can understand why she is looking to quickly get the ball to players who are in more space than she is at the time. After all, I'm not seeing too many of our scrappy kicks forward from congestion doing anything other than going back over our heads with interest at the moment. So I'm relatively comfortable with her not just kicking the ball away when there aren't clear options on for her to target.

Not disagreeing with any of that, just that there's been 2 passages of play over our past 2 games where she had more time than she probably realised - the sort of thing that you learn the more you play the game, and would also hope that the coaches are pointing out in match reviews for the players to take on board

Last week against Collingwood she got a clearance in space and it was stop, prop and then a short handball to a teammate where the end result was a stoppage.

And second quarter Friday night she took clean possession off a pack just outside our 50m, and this is where we don't always need a perfect disposal into 50 as a quick kick/chaos ball that goes to even 30m out can cause problems for the opposition, which there was time for as McDonald turned one way looking for a teammate, then turned the other way and got off a short handball. End result was a stoppage and reset in play

I think it's also a result of our game style where we seem to look for the perfect option with our disposals & that may work in training but the opposition don't often allow it - I'd like to see our gals play with a bit more freedom at times

5 R. Webster
4. M. McDonald
3. A. McDonald
2. O. Purcell
1. G. Rankin

HM Danielle Higgins' monumentally grumpy performance - she played like I felt watching this team

I know it probably feels harder tonight, especially after the first half but will get this going anyway

Round 4 voting is now closed, Round 5 voting for our match against the Tigers is now open

I know it probably feels harder tonight, especially after the first half but will get this going anyway

Round 4 voting is now closed, Round 5 voting for our match against the Tigers is now open

5 Renee Garing - tenacious, usually fights her opponents to a nil-all draw.
4 Jordan Ivey - solid season, can't fault her this year.
3 Bec Webster - poor 1st half, great 2nd half - she'll be crucial in the coming weeks if Purcell is out for any length of time
2 Sophie Van De Heuval - apart from one glaring turnover in the the first quarter she was pretty good, starting to back her pace
1 Amy McDonald - way too many turnovers in the first half, but won it well in traffic as always

HM Olivia Purcell, had a big first half until injured

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back