Women's Footy 2021 AFLW Off-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the women's had an off-season thread last season, I decided that I will create another thread for the upcoming off-season season on the main page for the women's with all of the news being placed on here of from list management, draft, training news/observation & competition format again :)

Anyways, the AFLW season will begin in December this season for the first time and end in March (week before Men's season begins) with no further expansion (14 clubs) over a 10 week season and 3 week final series, this year. It does mean though the competition will compete against the other summer sports in the future like Cricket, Tennis & Basketball which could have an impact on the broadcasting/crowd numbers compared to previous seasons.

In regards to future expansion, the competition will have all 18 clubs participate in the women's league by the beginning of the 2023/2024 season which will be a bonus for all female athletes wanting to play the sport in Australia, with two clubs maybe being permitted in the women's competition by the beginning of the 2022/23 season depending on their application.

Hopefully as a result, this also means we might also have a full season of each team playing once (17-18 round season) and a proper finals system (Final 8) like the Men's competition does as well without it overlapping between the two competitions of the sport.

Below is following timeline for the duration of the competitions in future seasons (amount of rounds/weeks TBC)

AFLW Season Timelines
2021 AFLW Season
– January-April, 2021 (14 clubs) (10 week season + 3 week finals series)
2021/22 AFLW Season – December 2021-March 2022 (14 clubs)
2022/23 AFLW Season – Late 2022 start (16-18 clubs)
2023/24 AFLW Season– Late 2023 start (18 clubs)

Last edited:
Don't know enough to have any strong opinion regarding the timeframe for the final expansion. I just hope we continue to build a strong womens footy in queensland so if we are hit again by any poaching we can cover it again.

I look forward to a 18 round season eventually.

Don't know enough to have any strong opinion regarding the timeframe for the final expansion. I just hope we continue to build a strong womens footy in queensland so if we are hit again by any poaching we can cover it again.

I look forward to a 18 round season eventually.
The beauty for us is that the game has already expanded to the Gc so the players would need to nominate to go to another state which is probably unlikely. We do still have some players from elsewhere who may nominate to go back but after winning the Premiership we should Atleast keep them for now.
Especially when we pretty much only have access to draftees coming from Qld.

Given the women's had an off-season thread last season, I decided that I will create another thread for the upcoming off-season season on the main page for the women's with all of the news being placed on here of from list management, draft, training news/observation & competition format again :)

Anyways, the AFLW season will begin in December this season for the first time and end in March (week before Men's season begins) with no further expansion (14 clubs) over a 10 week season and 3 week final series, this year. It does mean though the competition will compete against the other summer sports in the future like Cricket, Tennis & Basketball which could have an impact on the broadcasting/crowd numbers compared to previous seasons.

In regards to future expansion, the competition will have all 18 clubs participate in the women's league by the beginning of the 2023/2024 season which will be a bonus for all female athletes wanting to play the sport in Australia, with two clubs maybe being permitted in the women's competition by the beginning of the 2022/23 season depending on their application.

Hopefully as a result, this also means we might also have a full season of each team playing once (17-18 round season) and a proper finals system (Final 8) like the Men's competition does as well without it overlapping between the two competitions of the sport.

Below is following timeline for the duration of the competitions in future seasons (amount of rounds/weeks TBC)

AFLW Season Timelines
2021 AFLW Season
– January-April, 2021 (14 clubs) (10 week season + 3 week finals series)
2021/22 AFLW Season – December 2021-March 2022 (14 clubs)
2022/23 AFLW Season – Late 2022 start (16-18 clubs)
2023/24 AFLW Season– Late 2023 start (18 clubs)
Once the 18 teams are on board , we could possibly see the comp starting two or three weeks after the Mens grand final.
Three weeks would be a good break. Start last week in October.
That is going to drive the better half crazy, she looks forward to the off season I'm sure.
I'm not into cricket so this is going to be a good thing for us footy die hards.

On the final series , is the 3 week final series the top 6 go in? that would save a week.

Personally, I would much prefer the women’s competition to be played in autumn and winter or winter and spring.

I don’t like the idea of them playing in summer.

Personally, I would much prefer the women’s competition to be played in autumn and winter or winter and spring.

We need to upgrade the lights somewhere so they can play at night.
Or, Hurry up and get Springfield built.

I don't think anybody disagrees that it would be more ideal weather, but unfortunately the coverage of the season would be almost nonexistent if it crossed over with the men's competition any more than it already has. In an 18 team comp, we're in a situation where roughly half the men's games each round are barely spoken about in the media at all. With that being the autumn/winter/spring landscape, I can't see the AFLW getting a look-in for any coverage at all.

We need to upgrade the lights somewhere so they can play at night.
Or, Hurry up and get Springfield built.
I drove past the site at Springfield 2 weeks ago and they had banners on the temporary fencing saying "coming early 2022". They'd want to get a move on, looks like the pool is coming along though >
1620883784057.png

I drove past the site at Springfield 2 weeks ago and they had banners on the temporary fencing saying "coming early 2022". They'd want to get a move on, looks like the pool is coming along though >
View attachment 1126259
Hope it doesn’t hold water like that after it is finished.

Hope it doesn’t hold water like that after it is finished.

View attachment 1126259
What happened to the spider? A victim of the lower soft cap?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anybody disagrees that it would be more ideal weather, but unfortunately the coverage of the season would be almost nonexistent if it crossed over with the men's competition any more than it already has. In an 18 team comp, we're in a situation where roughly half the men's games each round are barely spoken about in the media at all. With that being the autumn/winter/spring landscape, I can't see the AFLW getting a look-in for any coverage at all.
Kayo to the rescue or the next sportzzz channel.....if they build it they will come.........as Briz and Dalions indicated its just not cricket for our wonderful women to be playing in excess heat. Its a tricky one and the $ may win out against the health of our Lasses. We get the odd 42 degree day down here in Vic not to mention SA n WA.

Anyway they have listened and r not increasing teams next season. Well said Starc.

Agree wholeheartedly with this, thought the AFLW coverage fell off a cliff once the men’s comp started this year.

This looks like a pretty balanced approach to me. Super excited to see the other teams come in but feel the comp needs time to catch its breath before they do.

December is no hotter than January, let's hope we can play night games.

From a purely selfish point of view, I absolutely love the idea of getting to the point where we have footy all year round!

Kayo to the rescue or the next sportzzz channel.....if they build it they will come.........as Briz and Dalions indicated its just not cricket for our wonderful women to be playing in excess heat. Its a tricky one and the $ may win out against the health of our Lasses. We get the odd 42 degree day down here in Vic not to mention SA n WA.
Yup, Adelaide is notorious for those high 30’s low 40’s days at the end of January when the Tour Down Under is on.

Just noticed that jessica wuetschner has deleted her instagram page, which is her right of course, I know she has gone through mental health difficulties etc., hope all is good.

I'm not basing this on any hard evidence but I think Wooshie is basically fine. I mean, she got struck by lightening ffs and survived.

I'm not basing this on any hard evidence but I think Wooshie is basically fine. I mean, she got struck by lightening ffs and survived.

She had a long time off the game and has publicly admitted to mental health issues since, ffs. Better to hold your tounge...........

She had a long time off the game and has publicly admitted to mental health issues since, ffs. Better to hold your tounge...........

No, the idea that MHI somehow make you impervious to comment is crap. As long as Wooshie has a support network and she's taking other things into account (meds, therapy, etc) she should be coping reasonably well. I'm not insulting her you goob.

Last edited:
I see Tayla Harris' lofty pay request has broken down negotiations with Carlton, so she's now on the hunt for a third club. I now wonder if this was intentional to go after a pay day at one of the new expansion clubs instead.

I see Tayla Harris' lofty pay request has broken down negotiations with Carlton, so she's now on the hunt for a third club. I now wonder if this was intentional to go after a pay day at one of the new expansion clubs instead.
Shocked to read in the HSun that she was on around $85k this season. $25 for being a tier 2 player and the rest from promotion/endorsements. Good luck to her if she can get $150k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back