Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Watching qwafl gf on utube....Bond 34 to 27 just before 1/2 time

For UQ to end up winning by 40 after a very slow start is incredible. I really thought the game was going to turn into a boring blow out but I guess with the number of BL players they had in the team I probably shouldn't have assumed any such thing!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
There’s a bit of a rumour that Lions academy member Mikayla Pauga might nominate all of Queensland, which effectively means she’s nominating Gold Coast, for the AFLW draft.

Pauga received an AFL scholarship to Bond uni last year, and spent the year playing for Bond uni in the QAFLW.

Just my personal opinion, she plays somewhat like Wuetschner. Strong, nuggety mid forward with good skills and speed, can go into the midfield and win her own ball.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There’s a bit of a rumour that Lions academy member Mikayla Pauga might nominate all of Queensland, which effectively means she’s nominating Gold Coast, for the AFLW draft.

Pauga received an AFL scholarship to Bond uni last year, and spent the year playing for Bond uni in the QAFLW.

Just my personal opinion, she plays somewhat like Wuetschner. Strong, nuggety mid forward with good skills and speed, can go into the midfield and win her own ball.
Nominated Brisbane.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Interesting comments about the ruck position, and the prospect of competing with the Suns for mature age talent, considering there were a few mature age QAFLW players at the QLD draft testing on the weekend.

Maddison Goodwin, ex Suns academy graduate playing for Yeronga South, set a new vertical jump record. Looks like a strong midfielder.

Suns could totally reshape their midfield this draft.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
I know Charlie Rowbottom nominated Queensland were there any other interstate players who pick Queensland as their draft zone?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFLW draft on right now.

AFLW board not happy campers because their teams (St Kilda, Richmond, Carlton) keep passing on “gun” players, and North draft them.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
I know Charlie Rowbottom nominated Queensland were there any other interstate players who pick Queensland as their draft zone?

It'd be pretty hard for players to nominate for another state's draft unless they had family and/or their job could transfer them.

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
Yoshida-Martin and Pullar both used to play soccer. The club has done well with picking players from other sports Bodey O’Dwyer. Hodder was another one who came from another sport union but she had played footy before.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Very happy with our draftees.

Bella is an example of the long term effect of the growth of the women’s game. She is a born and bred AFL player who grew up playing the game alongside boys rather than coming to it later. She has the instincts and native understanding of the game to match any male player.

Luka is an example of the way AFL is still drawing in talented sportswomen from other sports who see the opportunity to play in a competition at an elite level and get paid for it.

Both represent the growth and draw of AFLW - developing girls into elite players from a young age while attracting new talent to an ever widening pool who want to play in a still-young competition that is already starting to create its own history, stories and heroes.

I talked to a young junior female player today who was excited to get home and watch the draft tonight and it struck me that for young female players this is every bit as important and exciting as the men’s draft is to most of the football world.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Already looking at next year’s crop.
B1FEA21C-FBA2-45CC-9097-91C442414D3D.jpeg

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do you think we could entice Sam Kerr to our girls....what a game tonight and embarrassing the POMS to boot :)

Back