2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can somehow start to use JOM on the outside more where he can use his class we will be such a better side.

Problem is we didn't trade for anyone to play an inside role so we are now relying on Cousins/Finn types to step up and have a major impact.

Could this be a possibility? Big ask.
Does he have class? Only seen glimpses can he become THAT player if pushed more to the outside? Not convinced he has the ability. Really hope I am wrong.

How I see things going
2021:6-8
2022:6-8
2023: big jump 3-5
2024: 1-4

The team lacks xfactor, so we are always going to be predicted to struggle, but I believe (pending a horrid injury run) that we will surprise a few.

2020 was a write off. We had a game plan that was designed for endurance. The quick games instead meant the quick teams that lacked endurance could effective do sprints for a quarter and then pack it in. Even richmond took 2/3 of the season to get going

Assuming a semi-normal season, and we will be there abouts

How I see things going
2021:6-8
2022:6-8
2023: big jump 3-5
2024: 1-4

The team lacks xfactor, so we are always going to be predicted to struggle, but I believe (pending a horrid injury run) that we will surprise a few.

2020 was a write off. We had a game plan that was designed for endurance. The quick games instead meant the quick teams that lacked endurance could effective do sprints for a quarter and then pack it in. Even richmond took 2/3 of the season to get going

Assuming a semi-normal season, and we will be there abouts

Wildly optimistic.

Sport is a widely unpredictable thing. No one has any idea what is going to happen.
The common perception that teams go up and down in 1-2 position increments every year, from outsider to contender and back, virtually never happens.

2021 and beyond... I would love to see us returning to the style of the great Hawthorn teams of the past: tough and skilled.

Over the last few years I have seen the opposition too comfortable playing against the Hawks. They brush off our tackles far too easily and can play their brand of football without giving us a second thought. We also don't use the ball particularly well anymore. Sometimes we cant even hit a moving target with a handball.

I actually think that Clarko coaches at his best when he is working to those ends. He's got another two years in which to do something really interesting with this group of younger players, would be fantastic if that's the direction he heads.

The common perception that teams go up and down in 1-2 position increments every year, from outsider to contender and back, virtually never happens.

The one I always hate is when predicting the top 8 - "I don't see the top 8 changing much next season". Every season at least two teams will drop out, to think it's going to stay the same doesn't take into account any of that unpredictability that comes with a new season.

This may not be a popular opinion.

As a club, I do feel that we have stagnated since 2015/16. After the Resignation of Andrew Newbold in 2016 we haven’t really progressed. We had Richard Gravey as President, before being replaced by Geoff Kennett again. We then lost Stuart Fox at the end of 2016, We then appointed Tracey Gaudry, who was soon replaced by Justin Reeves. We also lost Chris Fagan who was head of coaches and players at the end of 2016. Who was replaced by Jason Burt, before Graham Wright was offered the role, who has now taken up a role with Collingwood, leaving the position currently vacant. We also lost Dunstall as a director around this time. We also lost a lot of assistant coaches since his departure as well. We also moved in former club champions, in Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis. We lost a few to retirement in Roughhead, Stratton, Gibson. Then we have had those that have decided to leave such as Smith and Birchall. So we have had no real stability since then, which I think has been a main factor, the only real mainstay has been Clarko.

like all things change is inevitable. So I think 2021 should be the year to start making progressive changes, towards our long term future and success rather than offering band aid solutions. First for me is the football operations manager, seeing the position is currently vacant, I think we need someone who is hands on, and is allowed to have the freedom to make the hard decisions, both of the playing list and coaching personnel. Secondly, this should be Kennetts last term, while I appreciate the hard work and effort he has brought to the role of President, I feel that we need to have someone who is younger, with fresh ideas and goals, who is a bit more vibrant and bring some energy into the role. The next thing is Clarkson, does he continue after 2022, if he does, then we need to sign him this year to a new contract. If he decides this is his last go, or the board feels we need to go in a new direction, then we need to start looking for his replacement. Finally onto the players, we need to be brutal with our list this year, move on the players, who we don’t think will help us in our next flag, take a look at the older players, who will help prepare the ones coming in, remove those that won’t. This year should be the year that we move forward by making the hard choices and decisions, because if we keep trying to band aid issues and problems, in the long term we will suffer for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a club, I do feel that we have stagnated since 2015/16. After the Resignation of Andrew Newbold in 2016 we haven’t really progressed. We had Richard Gravey as President, before being replaced by Geoff Kennett again. We then lost Stuart Fox at the end of 2016, We then appointed Tracey Gaudry, who was soon replaced by Justin Reeves. We also lost Chris Fagan who was head of coaches and players at the end of 2016. Who was replaced by Jason Burt, before Graham Wright was offered the role, who has now taken up a role with Collingwood, leaving the position currently vacant. We also lost Dunstall as a director around this time. We also lost a lot of assistant coaches since his departure as well. We also moved in former club champions, in Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis. We lost a few to retirement in Roughhead, Stratton, Gibson. Then we have had those that have decided to leave such as Smith and Birchall. So we have had no real stability since then, which I think has been a main factor, the only real mainstay has been Clarko.

like all things change is inevitable. So I think 2021 should be the year to start making progressive changes, towards our long term future and success rather than offering band aid solutions. First for me is the football operations manager, seeing the position is currently vacant, I think we need someone who is hands on, and is allowed to have the freedom to make the hard decisions, both of the playing list and coaching personnel. Secondly, this should be Kennetts last term, while I appreciate the hard work and effort he has brought to the role of President, I feel that we need to have someone who is younger, with fresh ideas and goals, who is a bit more vibrant and bring some energy into the role. The next thing is Clarkson, does he continue after 2022, if he does, then we need to sign him this year to a new contract. If he decides this is his last go, or the board feels we need to go in a new direction, then we need to start looking for his replacement. Finally onto the players, we need to be brutal with our list this year, move on the players, who we don’t think will help us in our next flag, take a look at the older players, who will help prepare the ones coming in, remove those that won’t. This year should be the year that we move forward by making the hard choices and decisions, because if we keep trying to band aid issues and problems, in the long term we will suffer for it.

Brilliant post.

S Mitchell will take over in 2023. Bank it.

Nice post.

The club has a huge amount on its plate when you look at the below.

Tassie
Dingley
Clarko
Finding the next President.
Finding the next Head of Football
A playing list that is going to need development and time.

S Mitchell will take over in 2023. Bank it.

Do we even know if he's capable though ? Club legend and all but will he be the best person for the job ? I truly hope if it does happen it's for the right reasons and not sentimental attachment.

Do we even know if he's capable though ? Club legend and all but will he be the best person for the job ? I truly hope if it does happen it's for the right reasons and not sentimental attachment.
Coaching BHH this year so its good move for him to transition into it .
Gives him 2 seasons to coach his own side while still having Clarko around.

Agree . Do you think Clarko will keep coaching eg move elsewhere ?

we have seen how other coaching succession plans have worked elsewhere. Which may mean we have to move him on. Ideally I’d love to see him move forward into a players coaching managers role, in saying that just not ours, as it would be detrimental to a new coach having a recent coach still around.

Nice post.

The club has a huge amount on its plate when you look at the below.

Tassie
Dingley
Clarko
Finding the next President.
Finding the next Head of Football
A playing list that is going to need development and time.

Tassie - Covid has helped us there - it will delay any AFL expansion

Dingley - I think the move to developing a women's facility first is a good idea. No hurry for the mens team to move.

Clarko - We can do worse than Sam Mitchell. I would fully support giving him a try. And If Sam leaves for opportunity, then it would indicate we have Clarkson for at least another 6 years. Win/Win.

Finding the next President - My only concern is that Jeff picks the president.

Finding the next Head of Football - I really hope we get some good news - a name like Dunstall.

A playing list that is going to need development and time - I am really excited about watching Will Day and DGB on our back line - and Kozi and Lewis Mitchell and Jeka vying for our future tall - and hopefully there will be a few surprises. Building a team can be almost as fun as anticipating late Sept action.

Tassie - Covid has helped us there - it will delay any AFL expansion

Dingley - I think the move to developing a women's facility first is a good idea. No hurry for the mens team to move.

Clarko - We can do worse than Sam Mitchell. I would fully support giving him a try. And If Sam leaves for opportunity, then it would indicate we have Clarkson for at least another 6 years. Win/Win.

Finding the next President - My only concern is that Jeff picks the president.

Finding the next Head of Football - I really hope we get some good news - a name like Dunstall.

A playing list that is going to need development and time - I am really excited about watching Will Day and DGB on our back line - and Kozi and Lewis Mitchell and Jeka vying for our future tall - and hopefully there will be a few surprises. Building a team can be almost as fun as anticipating late Sept action.

Dunstall no chance.

Or do we appoint a junior head of footy for 2 years and then Clarko takes that role in 2023?
I've heard McKenzie is now formally the List Manager.
Its fascinating what he will do , I could see him landing at the AFL in a role there.
But can also see him coaching on beyond these two years ( hope he doesn't ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back