Game Day 2021 ANZAC Day, R6 Collingwood v Essendon (Sun 25-Apr, 3.20pm @ MCG) | Lest We Forget

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
anzac-1.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.27.00 AM.png

ANZAC Day, a day were footy rightfully takes a back seat on what is becoming more and more our national day; a day where we remember our fallen. There's no doubt that this match has shaped how people recognise ANZAC Day and for mine it's played a part in increasing the sense of occasion and possibly respect from a wider audience and generation. The respect showed during the minute silence is immense and something I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't attended one of these games. Swan summed up the day very well at start of this piece.

DATE: ANZAC Day Sunday 25th April, 2021
FIRST BOUNCE: 3.20pm
WHERE: MCG

GETTING THERE:
PTV Journey Planner
PTV Disruptions

BROADCAST:

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 2.13.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 2.14.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.17.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.20.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.24.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.35.25 AM.png

The ladder doesn't make great viewing for either side. It doesn't tell the full tale though, but whether that's good or bad is subjective. Both Colllingwood and Essendon have resembled Jenkyll & Hyde not only across the first five rounds, but also within games. The best is very good, the bad horribly woeful.

R1
Collingwood (L 53-69):
We all know that we failed to fire a shot against the 'dogs with the 16 point margin flattering us.

Essendon (L 91-92): Started with a bang and lead the hawks by 42 points at half time; 10 goals to 4. They only added a further 3 goals in the second half as Hawthorn came from behind for an unexpected win.

R2
Collingwood (W 106-85):
Welcome to 2021 footy pies! We belted the blues notching over 100 points for the first time since R22 2019.

Essendon (L 119-65): A 9 goal hiding at the hands of the power. Despite the gloom from bomber's fans hastily jumping off their bandwagon plenty of sides will experience that in '21.

R3
Collingwood (L 72-73)
What could have been... Our turn for a 1 point loss with the lions clinching it after the siren. :( It's certainly one we let slip and had one or two things gone right including some composure we may well have.

Essendon (W 143-68): Back in a big way. The young bombers showed how dangerous they can be with a huge win against an undermanned and underwhelming St Kilda.

R4
Collingwood (L 60-90):
Too little, too late. A dull opening quarter more reminiscent of kick to kick seen during a training run. Although we lifted our work rate and threatened to take the lead off the back of half time positional changes, we ultimately couldn't close the margin enough and lowering our colours as the giants regained momentum late in the match.

Essendon (L 83-80): A gutsy spirited performance against a swans outfit full of youthful exuberance seen the bombers nearly return with the 4 points.

R5
Collingwood (L 103-76):
A fast start as Buckley and the match committee rang the changes sending AA star defender Moore forward and Cox to the twos. A gallant effort, but with Howe and DeGoey sitting out the second half the eagles were just too good. Plenty to like though.

Essendon (L 102-45): A bad night for the bombers as big Joe found another bunny (nice to see him performance against a side that isn't us) and the lions restricted Essendon to just one goal in the first half in a very wet affair.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.40.26 AM.png

Collingwood: While Stephenson bobbed up for a few goals in 2018, Treloar has gathered a stack of possessions against the bombers since 2015 highlighted by claiming the ANZAC medal in 2018. There's no doubt we're a worst team right now without Treloar and I feel we haven't really replaced his output following last year's firesale. Can one of our young mids step like McGough in 2002?

Essendon: Daniher, Fanstasia and recently McKenna have all played significant roles against us. Following on from his ANZAC medal in 2017 Daniher nearly carried the bombers over the line in 2019 while Fantasia had a knack of kicking bags of goals against us. Seeing Toby Greene kick a bag against us a couple of weeks ago I'm glad Fantasia won't be wearing the red poppy sash.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.42.16 AM.png

Collingwood: While Stephenson bobbed up for a few goals in 2018, Treloar has gathered a stack of possessions against the bombers since 2015 highlighted by claiming the ANZAC medal in 2018. There's no doubt we're a worst team right now without Treloar and I feel we haven't really replacedhis output following last year's firesale. Can one of our young mids step like McGough in 2002?

Essendon: Daniher, Fanstasia and recently McKenna have all played significant roles against us. Following on from his ANZAC medal in 2017 Daniher nearly carried the bombers over the line in 2019 while Fantasia had a knack of kicking bags of goals against us. Seeing Toby Greene kick a bag against us a couple of weeks ago I'm glad Fantasia won't be wearing the red poppy sash.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.52.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 6.51.09 PM.png
Collingwood
With Cox and Poulter playing VFL it appears and Sier a late out it's almost certain Tyler Brown will be the sub.

In:
Ruscoe, Rantall, Murphy, Hoskin-Elliott, Kelly, T. Brown (sub)

Out:
DeGoey (inj), Greenwood (inj), Howe (inj), Mayne (inj), Keane (susp), Sier (sub) (omitted)

New:
Rantall

Essendon
Culter, Waterman and Cahill all played VFL, so the other inclusion as sub will be Zaharakis

In: Phillips, Zerk-Thatcher, Zaharakis (sub)
Out: Waterman (omitted), Ridley (inj), Reid (ill)

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.43.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.46.09 AM.png

Merrett is a ball magnet and one I'd like to see us tag. With Greenwood ruled out Crisp is the obvious run with player, but do we instead throw the challenge to Rantall on debut or possibly one of the Browns?

With an undersized Essendon defence this could be the game for one of our forwards to kick a bag. My money would have been on Cox to kick 7 or 8, but with us looking for a different structure and Cox subsequently relegated to the twos is this the day where Moore re-announces himself as a forward or does Mihocek finally pass his best of 4 goals in a match?

Grundy is starting to return to his best in '21, but hasn't quite found the same consistency yet. Without Draper Essendon turned to Peter Wright last week, but repeating that against a league dominant ruck in Grundy is a different ask to a lions side still struggling to replace Martin. The risk of giving us ascendancy is too great, so I expect Phillips to be recalled in an attempt to nullify Grundy. Should that occur I hope Grundy meets the challenge head on and looks to jump instead of engaging in a wrestle.

Under Rutten Stringer is looking trimmer and very much shapes as a danger man having performed well in the past against us when less fit. While I worry the job will be given to a developing Quaynor hopefully Maynard is given the task when Stringer is forward. We don't want another Toby Greene performance.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.46.52 AM.png

Although missing key personnel in Howe and DeGoey I hope we don't chuck out what worked against the Eagles. 2 rucks and 2 key forwards is a must. I expect we'll continue with Moore forward with Kelly taking Keane's role in defence. While both Keane and Kelly are equally inexperienced we need to be flexible and open to swapping Kelly and Moore if the need arises.

DeGoey is much more difficult to replace especially with Elliott already on the sidelines. While I expect Daicos or Hoskin-Elliott to be the man inside 50, but do we instead play an out of form Sidebottom inside the arc? Sidebottom has kicked bags against the bombers before and it may be a way of getting him to recapture past form. This would also allow us to play Daicos on a wing with bursts in the centre square. Hoskin-Elliott also looked much better when moved up to a wing in the second half against GWS. In the centre the bigger body Crisp provides is even more important.

While Madgen has done well on the other wing in recent weeks my preference would be to shift Madgen back to replace Howe and have Murphy play the wing/seventh defender role. We could just as easily go the other way though especially with Essendon not having an overly tall forward line.

The game is going to be won in the middle, when our mids are up and about and the effort is there we're much harder to beat. For that to occur will need our young mids to step up, but also a bit of dare and putting our most dangerous players around the footy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 11.49.42 AM.png

So, were does that leave us? For mine still with a help of unknowns and match that could be anything from a dour arm wrestle, a classic close match or a blowout either way.

Ultimately though the day isn't about footy.

Lest We Forget

83830a10-a218-11eb-aff6-260fe2ed61af

Last edited:

View attachment 1110147

Collingwood: While Stephenson bobbed up for a few goals in 2018, Treloar has gathered a stack of possessions against the bombers since 2015 highlighted by claiming the ANZAC medal in 2018. There's no doubt we're a worst team right now without Treloar and I feel we haven't really replaced his output following last year's firesale. Can one of our young mids step like McGough in 2002?

View attachment 1110149

Collingwood: While Stephenson bobbed up for a few goals in 2018, Treloar has gathered a stack of possessions against the bombers since 2015 highlighted by claiming the ANZAC medal in 2018. There's no doubt we're a worst team right now without Treloar and I feel we haven't really replacedhis output following last year's firesale. Can one of our young mids step like McGough in 2002?

View attachment 1110162

To be announced.

View attachment 1110152
View attachment 1110153

Merrett is a ball magnet and one I'd like to see us tag. With Greenwood ruled out Crisp is the obvious run with player, but do we instead throw the challenge to Rantall on debut or possibly one of the Browns?

With an undersized Essendon defence this could be the game for one of our forwards to kick a bag. My money would have been on Cox to kick 7 or 8, but with us looking for a different structure and Cox subsequently relegated to the twos is this the day where Moore re-announces himself as a forward or does Mihocek finally pass his best of 4 goals in a match?

Grundy is starting to return to his best in '21, but hasn't quite found the same consistency yet. Without Draper Essendon turned to Peter Wright last week, but repeating that against a league dominant ruck in Grundy is a different ask to a lions side still struggling to replace Martin. The risk of giving us ascendancy is too great, so I expect Phillips to be recalled in an attempt to nullify Grundy. Should that occur I hope Grundy meets the challenge head on and looks to jump instead of engaging in a wrestle.

Under Rutten Stringer is looking trimmer and very much shapes as a danger man having performed well in the past against us when less fit. While I worry the job will be given to a developing Quaynor hopefully Maynard is given the task when Stringer is forward. We don't want another Toby Greene performance.

View attachment 1110154

Although missing key personnel in Howe and DeGoey I hope we don't chuck out what worked agains the Eagles. 2 rucks and 2 key forwards is a must. I expect we'll continue with Moore forward with Kelly taking Keane's role in defence. Both Keane and Kelly are inexperienced, so we need to be flexible and open to swapping Kelly and Moore if the need arises.

DeGoey is much more difficult to replace especially with Elliott already on the sidelines. While I expect Daicos or Hoskin-Elliott to be the man inside 50, but do we instead play an out of form Sidebottom inside the arc? Sidebottom has kicked bags against the bombers before and it may be a way of getting him to recapture past form. This would also allow us to play Daicos on a wing with bursts in the centre square. Hoskin-Elliott also looked much better when moved up to a wing in the second half against GWS. In the centre the bigger body Crisp provides is even more important.

While Madgen has done well on the other wing in recent weeks my preference would be to shift Madgen back to replace Howe and have Murphy play the wing/seventh defender role. We could just as easily go the other way though especially with Essendon not having an overly tall forward line.

The game is going to be won in the middle, when our mids are up and about and the effort is there we're much harder to beat. For that to occur will need our young mids to step up, but also a bit of dare and putting our most dangerous players around the footy.

View attachment 1110160

So, were does that leave us? For mine still with a help of unknowns and match that could be anything from a dour arm wrestle, a classic close match or a blowout either way.

Lest We Forget

Brilliant stuff mate! Shivers down the spine stuff.

As an aside, can’t understand why a certain poster would laugh at your great work. Pathetic really.

Brilliant stuff mate! Shivers down the spine stuff.

As an aside, can’t understand why a certain poster would laugh at your great work. Pathetic really.
I took the initial laugh as a reaction to the initial "tbc" that I used as a place holder and assumed it brought back memories of old Welcome to Collingwood threads.

I took the initial laugh as a reaction to the initial "tbc" that I used as a place holder and assumed it brought back memories of old Welcome to Collingwood threads.
Apologies to JB007
Didn’t see the initial TBC post

So Buckley is unlucky yet again.. not being able to get the lads out to train.. but is praised for getting us within a goal of the Lions?

Seems as though the only thing that is fair is having Buckley coach a football side that comes straight out of a Christmas Hallmark movie.. smiling and showing pleasure and contentment over baking cup cakes with green icing and taking great delight in watching Dennis Walter singing *en Christmas carols.

So Buckley is unlucky yet again.. not being able to get the lads out to train.. but is praised for getting us within a goal of the Lions?

Seems as though the only thing that is fair is having Buckley coach a football side that comes straight out of a Christmas Hallmark movie.. smiling and showing pleasure and contentment over baking cup cakes with green icing and taking great delight in watching Dennis Walter singing fu**en Christmas carols.

Hope you have these in your private booth at the MCG.
pie.jpg

Disgraceful scenes at the MCG tonight. An Aboriginal Eider carry a flaming torch lit at cauldron Doesn’t the AFL realise that this was first introduced by the Nazis at the 36 Olympics? And this ins ANZAC Day

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1110147

View attachment 1110149

View attachment 1110162

View attachment 1110576
Collingwood
With Cox and Poulter playing VFL it appears and Sier a late out it's almost certain Tyler Brown will be the sub.

In:
Ruscoe, Rantall, Murphy, Hoskin-Elliott, Kelly, T. Brown (sub)

Out:
DeGoey (inj), Greenwood (inj), Howe (inj), Mayne (inj), Keane (susp), Sier (sub) (omitted)

New:
Rantall

Essendon
Culter, Waterman and Cahill all played VFL, so the other inclusion as sub will be Zaharakis

In: Phillips, Zerk-Thatcher, Zaharakis (sub)
Out: Waterman (omitted), Ridley (inj), Reid (ill)

View attachment 1110152
View attachment 1110153

View attachment 1110154

Although missing key personnel in Howe and DeGoey I hope we don't chuck out what worked against the Eagles. 2 rucks and 2 key forwards is a must. I expect we'll continue with Moore forward with Kelly taking Keane's role in defence. While both Keane and Kelly are equally inexperienced we need to be flexible and open to swapping Kelly and Moore if the need arises.

View attachment 1110160

Lest We Forget

Great work barrackers, huge effort, thank you.

I know it’s all doom and gloom around here, but I can’t wait to get to the G tomorrow. Have no confidence at all but just love being back at the footy.

'When you are in hell keep going' is mis-attributed to Winston Churchill

It was actually said by a Collingwood fan fleeing WeagleDome

The light at the end of our tunnel seems propelled by a truckie after nine Red Bulls

I remember the dark days of '76

My grade 3 teacher was a frightening woman with halitosis and a badly bleached moustache

And Ern Clarke and Murray Weideman presided over a total cluster at the club

But things got better

What comforts can we draw from '21?
* None of us has ebola
* Jordy calls his Mum
* And McCreery has somthing about him (beyond looking like my second cousin who went to gaol)

Sense a glorious victory despite our injuries

Sidebottom to produce magic

The Kordanator to rip off his shirt and rub his man breasts in tune with the club song

Collingwood by 64 points

I know it’s all doom and gloom around here, but I can’t wait to get to the G tomorrow. Have no confidence at all but just love being back at the footy.

It's the first time I get to visit the G since COVID.

I shall celebrate by devouring half a dozen doughnuts. More if we lose.

barrackers outstanding review! You've raised the bar.

Happy game day people, always a special day this one. Reckon we’re going to be up against it, maybe just a little too inexperienced. Still, great opportunity for our youngsters to experience a big occasion.

Hoping to see some risk taking today and fast ball movement.

Go Pies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back