Remove this Banner Ad

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Not a fan. Collar itself isn't bad but the section at the bottom is woeful.

I already vented my spleen about this in the Guernsey forum but if you're going to replace FFC for marketing opportunities just keep it off altogether. A keyline version under the major sponsor on the front looks really out of place and ruins the clean lines.

Maybe a Footscray logo would have been better there, but what they've served up looks awful.

Personally I can't wait to see the back of Asics at the end of this year.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not a fan. Collar itself isn't bad but the section at the bottom is woeful.

I already vented my spleen about this in the Guernsey forum but if you're going to replace FFC for marketing opportunities just keep it off altogether. A keyline version under the major sponsor on the front looks really out of place and ruins the clean lines.

Maybe a Footscray logo would have been better there, but what they've served up looks awful.

Personally I can't wait to see the back of Asics at the end of this year.

Hear hear. Ever since Asics took over they have buggerised around with the colours, position of the hoops (lower and lower) and overall design. Honestly, this new effort looks like a work experience student's offering.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Longsleeve version with hoops added to the sleeves
1613515003089.png

Genuine question:

What happens to all this merchandise? Do people buy the new design every year? Do they have cupboards full of it? Do they wear it?

There must be a limit to how many jumpers can be sold to even the most devoted of fans.

I own a few WB polos which I wear on suitable occasions but I haven't owned a bulldogs jumper since I was about 11 or 12. That was in the days before merchandising took over. I think it was hand knitted (wool!) and I had number 3 on the back in honour of the great EJ Whitten.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Genuine question:

What happens to all this merchandise? Do people buy the new design every year? Do they have cupboards full of it? Do they wear it?

There must be a limit to how many jumpers can be sold to even the most devoted of fans.

I own a few WB polos which I wear on suitable occasions but I haven't owned a bulldogs jumper since I was about 11 or 12. That was in the days before merchandising took over. I think it was hand knitted (wool!) and I had number 3 on the back in honour of the great EJ Whitten.
It's a great question. I find myself reluctant to wear a jumper to a game as I get older, the media polo probably more suitable these days.

Having said that I'll still buy the jumper from the club shop if I like it. The only one I've remotely liked the last few years was the fightback jumper in 2019. Below are the ones hanging up in my closet, only have the 3. My dad still has a few old woolen ones from the 70s and 80s which are great to look back on. .05 and East Coast appearing as the sponsors on those ones. I really dislike them changing the jumper for the sake of selling them each year, but realise it has to be done. They just need to do it in a more tasteful way, the 2021 version leaves a lot to be desired.

20201006_212321.jpg

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's a great question. I find myself reluctant to wear a jumper to a game as I get older, the media polo probably more suitable these days.

Having said that I'll still buy the jumper from the club shop if I like it. The only one I've remotely liked the last few years was the fightback jumper in 2019. Below are the ones hanging up in my closet, only have the 3. My dad still has a few old woolen ones from the 70s and 80s which are great to look back on. .05 and East Coast appearing as the sponsors on those ones. I really dislike them changing the jumper for the sake of selling them each year, but realise it has to be done. They just need to do it in a more tasteful way, the 2021 version leaves a lot to be desired.

View attachment 1059699
That 2019 fightback jumper is amazing, I wish it was part of our regular set to wear once or twice per year.

That 2019 fightback jumper is amazing, I wish it was part of our regular set to wear once or twice per year.
Anyone got a pic? There have been so many different ones I can't remember it.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

View attachment 1059699
Love the Footscray badge on the left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
8DCB5BD2-A30C-446D-A6C8-AF7B6D595406.jpeg

Still a nice jumper but the hoops went a bit wide in that 1989 reproduction. This was a better balance in the late 70’s early 80’s. But I still prefer our original hoops that we’ve won our flags in. We only went away from them because early colour TVs could cope with the red and blue bleeding into one another.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1059953
Still a nice jumper but the hoops went a bit wide in that 1989 reproduction. This was a better balance in the late 70’s early 80’s. But I still prefer our original hoops that we’ve won our flags in. We only went away from them because early colour TVs could cope with the red and blue bleeding into one another.
Agree, I would never want to move away from the current hoops we have now as our main kit.

I would love the club to use the 80s jumper (fine tuned or not) on a temporary basis as a nod to that period, maybe even as a Ballarat jumper whilst we're playing there a couple of times per year for that small suburban ground feel.

The Buck

All Australian
Sep 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1059953

Exactly. The hoops are part of our tradition. Am I one out in hating that the hoops have been lowered to almost navel level in recent years?

Have a look at the jumper on the great one in this celebrated photo:

1613554971304.png

1. The hoops are thicker and much higher than recent ones, and;

2. The blue is darker and more daunting-looking than the almost pastel Asics.

The 2016 jumper comes the closest to our traditional one in my opinion.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can’t understand the dislike of the 2021 jumper.

It is literally a modern remake of the Footscray jumper EJ wore for the majority of his career sans the collar.

The stripes are lower so a number can be fit on the back without cutting over the red as the old jumper did. Purely for better visuals. The other option would be to have them higher but not cot across the back so the number is clear.

Commenting on the tinge of blue from a photo in sunlight is also beyond ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
Can’t understand the dislike of the 2021 jumper.

It is literally a modern remake of the Footscray jumper EJ wore for the majority of his career sans the collar.

The stripes are lower so a number can be fit on the back without cutting over the red as the old jumper did. Purely for better visuals. The other option would be to have them higher but not cot across the back so the number is clear.

Commenting on the tinge of blue from a photo in sunlight is also beyond ridiculous imo.
I was going to say I like the one with the vertical stripes too!

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly. The hoops are part of our tradition. Am I one out in hating that the hoops have been lowered to almost navel level in recent years?

Have a look at the jumper on the great one in this celebrated photo:

View attachment 1060012

1. The hoops are thicker and much higher than recent ones, and;

2. The blue is darker and more daunting-looking than the almost pastel Asics.

The 2016 jumper comes the closest to our traditional one in my opinion.
I agree with with you 100% on the hoops needing to be across the chest not the belly. It looks stronger. The red hoop should touch the red cuff. To lower them for the numbers on the back is absurd, we would have to only jumper designed from the back first?
Our 2012 jumpers had higher hoops. I looks particularly better in the clash jumper.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1C7D3ACF-6882-46CC-8CC4-2E91721FC477.jpeg
1C7D3ACF-6882-46CC-8CC4-2E91721FC477.jpeg

Mitch Wallis 2012 return to hoops and modern ASICS jumper, I prefer 2012 model.

Attachments

• 96F6DCF3-EBFB-46D4-8ED9-06F367829CDA.jpeg
    96F6DCF3-EBFB-46D4-8ED9-06F367829CDA.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 25
Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with with you 100% on the hoops needing to be across the chest not the belly. It looks stronger. The red hoop should touch the red cuff. To lower them for the numbers on the back is absurd, we would have to only jumper designed from the back first?
Our 2012 jumpers had higher hoops. I looks particularly better in the clash jumper.
For much of our history we've had the red hoop intersect with the number on the back and, although not as clean from the back as it is now, I don't think it looks terrible. You can see the progression of the hoops here: http://footyjumpers.com/footscrayhome.htm

As you say, the jumper should be designed from the front first and the band creep should be reversed. Even with the number intersecting the white band it can work - this is from 2014, same level hoops as the 2012 kit but with the number lowered to fit the name in:
05WBCa14LC-0252.jpg

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Here's a couple of dodgy alterations in MS Paint alongside the real version, one with higher hoops and another with higher & thicker hoops. Both look significantly better than the original IMO. I think I prefer the middle version.
View attachment 1060247
The middle one is epic. Best jumper in the league, but I’m biased.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back