2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the circumstances, I don't think that is a bad idea. It can become a slippery slope from there once it happens the first time. Interesting times.

Ben R (the Twitter journo) will be beside himself with glee. He has been pushing this for a long time.
I hope ben doesn't come to Melbourne, he is annoying.
Bo3 will work at this year's Australian Open but other Grand slams will be forced to do the same

Craig has a tough job this year

I hope ben doesn't come to Melbourne, he is annoying.
Bo3 will work at this year's Australian Open but other Grand slams will be forced to do the same

Craig has a tough job this year
Ben is not coming to Melbourne.

And Nick is in Melbourne now. Arrived yesterday according to the news. All the Aussie players are in the city. Training at private school grounds and the like. The worry for Barty and nick is the lack of match practice. Dasha and Millman at least have games under their belt from last year.

Bo3 would be interesting. If they did that, then there would be no reason for the super duper match tie break. please.......get rid.

i would go for a compromise and the first week Bo3 and the 2nd week can revert to bo5.

Wonder how hard Novak and the former council are pushing for this given what he said in November.

Screenshot_20210118-231515_Chrome.jpg

Where is Kyrgios based? If it goes Bo3 and he is Aus based and can prepare properly without quarantine then he would be a legit chance to win.
I thought about this earlier. But it feels like there's still too many rounds and way too many guns he'll have to get past to win a slam. Needs a very good draw.

Was wondering when he was going to pipe up. Been too quiet. On Nick. he is going to be unseeded. If he can get a nice unfit seed in the first round then they might be his best bet.

will be interesting to see if Novaks comments will come to bite him during the tournament during matches and how hostile Melbourne may be. they have been widely reported.

here's hoping they settle transport for tmw. Some players missed training today due to transport issues. A lot did train but Craig has been telling the people who can train to watch what they post on social media. been a quiet day thank god. hopefully, it will stay way but I have a feeling another flashpoint will happen.

Pablo Curvas practising his backhand on his mattress LOL, where is he actually going to sleep. Oh yeah he is probably going to make his bed every day. If I had a kitchen I would probably cook as well. Cheaper plus you can eat when and what you want.

The Osaka issue was very confusing. I didn't really see what the problem was with her team. I understand that players can only bring a couple of team members for the Open. If TA were onto it, they would of veto her team members before they got on the plane. I know it should be a fair playing field but I kind of think you work hard and are in the top 10 then so be it and you should be allow to bring an extra team member. 10 member team is way OTT and that should of never have got past TA in the first place.

Was wondering when he was going to pipe up. Been too quiet. On Nick. he is going to be unseeded. If he can get a nice unfit seed in the first round then they might be his best bet.

will be interesting to see if Novaks comments will come to bite him during the tournament during matches and how hostile Melbourne may be. they have been widely reported.

here's hoping they settle transport for tmw. Some players missed training today due to transport issues. A lot did train but Craig has been telling the people who can train to watch what they post on social media. been a quiet day thank god. hopefully, it will stay way but I have a feeling another flashpoint will happen.

No surprise his first tweet of the year is about tennis drama. Shock horror!

Nick will never win a slam, he doesn't have the discipline nor does he want to win one. I would be surprised if Nick plays that many tournaments this year as I can't see him wanting to leave Australia.

I let you guess who the Balkan is......#badtranslation

he might have a case, if he was in Melbourne.

The leading male and female players should be going in to bat for the players in Melbourne who are stuck in hard quarantine - Even if they get one or two demands then its a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about character assassination. Everyone is out to get Novak yet again. Might be best for me to stay away from Twitter for a while...

Have to agree - The Joker is very popular in Slovakia while his maligned EXHIBITION tournament ( could have been better organised ) had the backing of the Government and was ticked off by the health authorities - And of course profits from the tournament went to the Slovkian Covid fund, along with a hefty donation from Joker - The nightclub was a non-incident seeing nightclubs at the time were open in Slovakia - There has been poor media reporting around Joker but then again segments of the media are rubbish.

Canberra - doesn't need to quarantine because he's been based here permanently since the pandemic started

He hasn't played a match on tour in almost a year and who knows how much training he has been doing

I disagree - All Australian based players should have been made to enter quarantine, as there are still a few COVID cases in Australia - It is better to be safe and sure.

Been lots of groaning and moaning in the community about the Australian Open - Interested to see TV ratings and crown numbers, notwithstanding caps on attendances - These hold up and it's another case of the loud minority at play - Finally, think Melbournian's need to be less self-centred about their lockdown - Many countries and cities have suffered similar or even longer lockdowns.

And think there has been more cases. The BBC are reporting 9(1 player) in total and Sasha(the coach) has said there are 5 players on a Instagram feed.

The fact is, nothing is official. Something I learned from the Vic lockdown is that the case number would always "officially" leak before the announcement. The fact that no local journalist is saying anything gives me hope.

And think there has been more cases. The BBC are reporting 9(1 player) in total and Sasha(the coach) has said there are 5 players on a Instagram feed.

The fact is, nothing is official. Something I learned from the Vic lockdown is that the case number would always "officially" leak before the announcement. The fact that no local journalist is saying anything gives me hope.

Actually believe it or not, the way in which Australian authorities handle quarantine, it may be beneficial to test positive ( if asymptomatic ) as they are sometimes released earlier from quarantine because they are considered not infectious.

Nick knows how to keep the interest ($$$) coming in for him, despite him being a part time tennis player.

I really dislike his attention seeking tweets on social media when it comes to djokovic.
Kyrgios needs to learn how to STFU.

Tiley is sticking to the best of 5 sets, no changes.
Probably for the best. Way too late to change anything now as they would likely have to refund all tickets or do partial refunds. People paid for best of 5 entertainment not best of 3.

Pablo Curvas practising his backhand on his mattress LOL, where is he actually going to sleep. Oh yeah he is probably going to make his bed every day. If I had a kitchen I would probably cook as well. Cheaper plus you can eat when and what you want.

The Osaka issue was very confusing. I didn't really see what the problem was with her team. I understand that players can only bring a couple of team members for the Open. If TA were onto it, they would of veto her team members before they got on the plane. I know it should be a fair playing field but I kind of think you work hard and are in the top 10 then so be it and you should be allow to bring an extra team member. 10 member team is way OTT and that should of never have got past TA in the first place.
I think other players were disappointed to see Osaka training with a group while others are stuck in a hotel for 14 days.

Do I agree with the rules in place, yeah probably. The wider public’s health is paramount (but then you get the likes of Matt Damon who get to avoid hotel quarantine, so go figure....). Whilst the rest of the world may regard the Australian approach draconian (well the players seem too), you can‘t argue against the results. In HK who also has done very well in managing the pandemic, mandatory hotel quarantine has recently been extended from 14 to 21 days, so Australia is not the only country with a tough approach.

However, these are not conditions you can run a grand slam tennis tournament under, where people are converging from across the globe. TA and particularly the victoria government seem to want their cake and eat it too. When things got considerably worse over the US and European winter, the tournament should have been canned.

Back