2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone bought tickets to the Open this year? Is it just me or do they seem a lot more expensive this year? $100+ for concession for MCA, I don't think I'd ever have paid that before!

I haven’t bought any this year but the last couple times I went it was that much, so I had to just go one session, as it’s too expensive to go two sessions now. Though I didn’t go last year either, it was like that in 17’ and 18’ even. Though that was RLA.

Last edited:

Wonderful statement from Azarenka. Our media are trying to create such a huge sh*t storm, it really is disgusting how they operate.

yeah. the media have been shocking and overplaying everything. I bet we will hear about Yulia before Azarenka tonight.

And what Agut said wasnt wrong. It is a poor preparation and it not easy. It is like a jail. I would hate it. But they are allowed to vent. its not wise in a PR sense but I would if I was forced in a room for 14 days. Only difference between me and the tennis players is what they say is reported and worked into the narrative that all tennis players are sooks and brats.

I await word from the media on how Kerber, Azarenka, Strycova and Taro Daniel are coping and how they fit into the above narrative.

Wonder when ATP Cup tickets go on sale? Isn't it usually right after the draw?

yeah. the media have been shocking and overplaying everything. I bet we will hear about Yulia before Azarenka tonight.

And what Agut said wasnt wrong. It is a poor preparation and it not easy. It is like a jail. I would hate it. But they are allowed to vent. its not wise in a PR sense but I would if I was forced in a room for 14 days. Only difference between me and the tennis players is what they say is reported and worked into the narrative that all tennis players are sooks and brats.

I await word from the media on how Kerber, Azarenka, Strycova and Taro Daniel are coping and how they fit into the above narrative.
They were told and warned its 14 days. Agut is a privileged brat.

They were told and warned its 14 days. Agut is a privileged brat.
John Millman said it was harder than he thought, that he felt shocking when he did his 14 days of hard quarantine when returning last year.

Is he a brat as well?

Just because you know of it, doesn't me you can be prepared for it. And it would be tougher for someone who is not from this country to know what to expect. We, in Australia, are extreme in Covid. There are not many countries which take it as seriously as we do or take the steps we have done. Culture shock is a thing. if the public is asking for understanding of our position, I don't think it is too hard to understand the players position. The media coverage is so over the top it is pathetic and is begging for the outrage to suit the narrative. Tomic's girlfriend is a WAG but she was right about how the media taking pictures of the players in their hotel rooms is an invasion of privacy and way over the top. And the majority of players are settling down and going about their business safely.

Agut is normally softy spoken and is certainly not a Yulia Putiniseva. (there is only one of those) Though Gulbis did call him a spoilt princess once.

Wonder when ATP Cup tickets go on sale? Isn't it usually right after the draw?

They haven't said what the ticket situation is for the warm-up week. I'm fairly sure the draw comes out tomorrow so hopefully we find out some info then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Millman said it was harder than he thought, that he felt shocking when he did his 14 days of hard quarantine when returning last year.

Is he a brat as well?

Just because you know of it, doesn't me you can be prepared for it. And it would be tougher for someone who is not from this country to know what to expect. We, in Australia, are extreme in Covid. There are not many countries which take it as seriously as we do or take the steps we have done. Culture shock is a thing. if the public is asking for understanding of our position, I don't think it is too hard to understand the players position. The media coverage is so over the top it is pathetic and is begging for the outrage to suit the narrative. Tomic's girlfriend is a WAG but she was right about how the media taking pictures of the players in their hotel rooms is an invasion of privacy and way over the top. And the majority of players are settling down and going about their business safely.

Agut is normally softy spoken and is certainly not a Yulia Putiniseva. (there is only one of those) Though Gulbis did call him a spoilt princess once.
As a guest in another country, he needs to show some respect to their laws, whether he likes them or not. Unless he is a complete fool, he would have known there was a chance of this happening. Being quarantined for 2 weeks in a hotel is hardly being like in a prison, when you get 100 grand or more at the end of the 2 weeks. Many more people doing it tougher than this plank, suck it up Agut.

They haven't said what the ticket situation is for the warm-up week. I'm fairly sure the draw comes out tomorrow so hopefully we find out some info then.
22nd I heard. I've been checking the site every day and there's been no info. Hope it doesn't get cancelled because of this quarantine mess.

As a guest in another country, he needs to show some respect to their laws, whether he likes them or not. Unless he is a complete fool, he would have known there was a chance of this happening. Being quarantined for 2 weeks in a hotel is hardly being like in a prison, when you get 100 grand or more at the end of the 2 weeks. Many more people doing it tougher than this plank, suck it up Agut.

And i hate people talking about 100K as if it means everything. they are playing for 4.1 mil. of course you will want to be in top condition for that. thats ignoring the points, which can set up a successful year. On top of that, if you unprepared and get seriously injured, then that 100K will have to last you if you are forced to sit out. And a tennis career has a lot of expenses. We all know how hard the 100+ ranked players do on the tour. This is a high pressured, stressful part of the year. Majors are not just huge for the fans, but also the players and a large % of earnings come from these 8 weeks.

Players can be grateful for everything(and 99% are) and complaining(publicly, not many, privately, Im guessing a lot) . They want to be at their best at the same time. they are human and this is there career.

If you haven't once complained about the new normal, then you are lying.

Do I agree with the rules in place, yeah probably. The wider public’s health is paramount (but then you get the likes of Matt Damon who get to avoid hotel quarantine, so go figure....). Whilst the rest of the world may regard the Australian approach draconian (well the players seem too), you can‘t argue against the results. In HK who also has done very well in managing the pandemic, mandatory hotel quarantine has recently been extended from 14 to 21 days, so Australia is not the only country with a tough approach.

However, these are not conditions you can run a grand slam tennis tournament under, where people are converging from across the globe. TA and particularly the victoria government seem to want their cake and eat it too. When things got considerably worse over the US and European winter, the tournament should have been canned.

Do you realise that the US Open and French Open ran successful tournaments in 2020 - I'm surprised the Vic Government didn't follow their templates in running the tournaments.

The fact Djokovic getting involved is ironic in itself. In a upper tier of quarantine, he always thinks he’s the voice of the players. Not even close. He never believed in Covid, wont vaccinate and organised an event in the middle of Covid lockdowns. Please

This is sadly a misinformed post - The reason why players receive 100K for a first round loss at a Grand Slam is because of Novak - He has been awesome in his past role at the ATP Players Council at improving conditions for players - In saying that there is more to be done at the Challenger and Satellite level of tennis.

I'll also add that you are another person who is misinformed through the media - The Exhibition tournaments you mention ( like the one in Adelaide ) were ticked off by the relevant health authorities - It's hard to say that NOVAK doesn't believe in COVID, seeing that he was infected with COVID - We have no idea whether Novak will be vaccinated - The reason Novak is in 'upper quarantine' is because the Victorian Government asked the SA Government to help with the quarantining of players - The trade off was SA would get a two day exhibition tournament with the top 3 men and women's players.

If they were golfers, we could lock them up in cape skank

If they wanted to play on grass they could all be housed at Geelong Grammar and the tournament played during the school holidays. The only thing is, if they were let out, the people of Corio might scare them a bit at The Village.

How about Boort in northern Vic? I spent many holidays there when I was a kid (family originally from there). Beautiful lawn courts right next to the lake and the caravan / holiday park and right next to the cbd. They can go water skiing to wind down after a hard day of play or maybe the trotting club could host a meet while they're there, only an hour north of Bendigo.

Been lots of groaning and moaning in the community about the Australian Open - Interested to see TV ratings and crown numbers, notwithstanding caps on attendances - These hold up and it's another case of the loud minority at play - Finally, think Melbournian's need to be less self-centred about their lockdown - Many countries and cities have suffered similar or even longer lockdowns.

Not sure about that, you want to give us a few examples?

Probably for the best. Way too late to change anything now as they would likely have to refund all tickets or do partial refunds. People paid for best of 5 entertainment not best of 3.

They should play 5, but if a player gets 2 ahead, game over. 2-0 not that different to 3-0 if it’s a walkover (sorry Leighton)

Is he a brat as well?

City hotel rooms aren’t meant to be stayed in 24/7. Especially if you are used to a high exercise regime. AFL which is a minor sport money wise didn’t do that. All resorts

Back