2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How can the Victorian Government possibly sign off on letting hundreds of tennis players and their entourage from COVID hotspots all over the globe into Melbourne at this time ? We Victorians have just gone through one the most onerous lockdowns in the world leading to our current situation where the virus has been all but eliminated. We can now look forward to a much less restrictive 2021. Kids back at school. Shops open. Local sport back. Hell we should even be able to attend AFL games back in Victoria again. There is no way in the world that we should put all this at risk for the sake of staging the Australian
Open.....and apart from all that how can they justify bringing all these tennis people in from overseas when there are over 30,000 Australians still stranded overseas !

How can the Victorian Government possibly sign off on letting hundreds of tennis players and their entourage from COVID hotspots all over the globe into Melbourne at this time ? We Victorians have just gone through one the most onerous lockdowns in the world leading to our current situation where the virus has been all but eliminated. We can now look forward to a much less restrictive 2021. Kids back at school. Shops open. Local sport back. Hell we should even be able to attend AFL games back in Victoria again. There is no way in the world that we should put all this at risk for the sake of staging the Australian
Open.....and apart from all that how can they justify bringing all these tennis people in from overseas when there are over 30,000 Australians still stranded overseas !

I don't understand such a narrow minded view. Let's find ways to make it safe...

As I mentioned, if a person involved (player, official, entourage) passes covid on to a citizen in Melbourne, it will cause an absolute riot. It would be the end of Andrews career as Premier of Victoria. There is way too much riding on this for the Labor party and the people of Victoria for something to go wrong. State cannot afford a third wave.

Covid numbers from Europe and North America are incredibly high. There is a risk involved brining thousands of people into the country for tennis.

I hope we get some actual details on how they getting into the country and very soon. They meant to be arriving in Australia in a month. With Adelaide now not accepting arrivals, how are you going to get 1-2K people into this country when we are now accepting fewer arrivals and with everything happening overseas, there should be more Aussies trying to get home.

Surely they have to get their own capacity.

TE="matt_897, post: 68009498, member: 67972"]
I don't understand such a narrow minded view. Let's find ways to make it safe...
[/QUOTE]
After all That Victorians have sacrificed in 2020 to get us to the position we are in today it is not narrow minded to do everything sensibly possible to avoid the risk of a third wave which could destroy our 2021. If you don't understand such a view then you obviously haven't lived through our onerous lockdowns this year.

TE="matt_897, post: 68009498, member: 67972"]

After all That Victorians have sacrificed in 2020 to get us to the position we are in today it is not narrow minded to do everything sensibly possible to avoid the risk of a third wave which could destroy our 2021. If you don't understand such a view then you obviously haven't lived through our onerous lockdowns this year.
[/QUOTE]

No, to simply right off that this can't be done safely is narrow minded. A lack of understanding about the situation really. There should be extensive plans being formulated to get everyone in safely and quarantined before our summer of tennis. TA have been saying this for months but clearly governments have been stalling. We may as well just shut ourselves from the world forever if we can't do this right.

I lived and worked through the lockdown thanks.

No, to simply right off that this can't be done safely is narrow minded. A lack of understanding about the situation really. There should be extensive plans being formulated to get everyone in safely and quarantined before our summer of tennis. TA have been saying this for months but clearly governments have been stalling. We may as well just shut ourselves from the world forever if we can't do this right.

[/QUOTE]
It has nothing to do with shutting ourselves off from the world forever. January 2021 is too early to run an event of this nature. Many of the countries these tennis people would be coming from are being ravaged by COVID at the moment. There is a strong chance that The Australian Open will be back in 2022. There was no Wimbledon this year.
You are fortunate to have been able to work through the lockdowns this year. Many haven't.

It has nothing to do with shutting ourselves off from the world forever. January 2021 is too early to run an event of this nature. Many of the countries these tennis people would be coming from are being ravaged by COVID at the moment. There is a strong chance that The Australian Open will be back in 2022. There was no Wimbledon this year.
You are fortunate to have been able to work through the lockdowns this year. Many haven't.
[/QUOTE]

Wimbledon will defs happen in 2021 though, the period it got cancelled was when Covid was new to everyone. Now we've had time to prepare England has the EPL up and running, a full summer of Cricket just gone and the ATP tour finals in London ATM.

No reason Australia shouldn't be able to make this happen with the time we've had to prepare.

Looks like players won't be able to quarantine here until January 1 even though there has been months of saying they will need to be here by mid-December. What on earth is the government doing?

Let's just push this back by a few weeks, I'm not sure why TA haven't done so in the first place.

Looks like players won't be able to quarantine here until January 1 even though there has been months of saying they will need to be here by mid-December. What on earth is the government doing?

Let's just push this back by a few weeks, I'm not sure why TA haven't done so in the first place.

Lets just move it to Sydney or Brisbane, their governments are more likely to play ball than Daniel Andrews.

Why have the Aussie open at the same time. Create some breathing room and move it back. It's not like there is anything during February on the schedule. Don't worry about the future years, it is far more important this happens.

Reckon the players would prefer that anyway. I doubt any player wants to go straight into a grand slam. Even the us this year had 2 weeks leading up.

This was always going to be an issue when you back one horse. Ya need to play the state governments against each other. Best way to get anything done in this country.

First thing I be doing if I was Craig would be changing the tie break rule to Wimbledons one. The next thing would be giving Gladys a call and ask her if she wants a bunch of tennis tournaments (excluding the open).

Can't believe tennis Australia still have no plan on getting them into this country. I would be having the ao in late Feb, and start scheduling tournaments in mid Jan. Have 3-4 weeks lead up and try and get the players to come at different times and not in one big rush. I would limit it to the top 200 ish with a reduced quali field and no juniors. There might be some issues with the ATP,WTA,ITF about that but these times are unique.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worse case scenario why not have tournaments in Aus post Australian open (and maybe 1-2 before). Possibly one of the few chances the players will play in front of crowds for the first 6 months.

WTA players have been told they can enter the 100K Dubai event, scheduled to start 7th and end the 13th of December.

The Telegraph understands that Tennis Australia has until Friday to submit a revised plan. One possible scenario would be to delay the start of the Australian Open for a week to allow for some advance competition.
In a briefing to players given last week by the Women’s Tennis Association, TA had laid out plans for two weeks of tournaments before the Australian Open, and two more weeks after, making the whole Australian swing a six-week block. The required date of arrival to compete in the first events was to be Dec 14. All of the tournaments were to be held in the state of Victoria, some in Melbourne and others in outlying country towns such as Bendigo.
Another possible casualty is the ATP Cup, the new team event which got off to a largely successful start in January. Some predictions had suggested that it might run with a reduced field of eight teams, rather than the 24 who competed this year. But even that is now looking optimistic while certain standard elements of the Australian Open – such as a qualifying tournament – must also be hanging by a threat.

Simon Briggs has been right a lot so far. So, lets have another deadline to sort out plans.

After looking at the situation in South Australia this week and the absolutely frenzy 23 cases has caused, I don't think any government is willing to take a risk anymore.

The only one seeming like they are happy to bring people in from overseas is the NSW.

The Dan Andrews government here is so risk averse, he waits until the day before to make any decisions because "we have to wait for the science and the data" . So there is no way for the AO to go ahead this year. Start planning for 2022 folks

After looking at the situation in South Australia this week and the absolutely frenzy 23 cases has caused, I don't think any government is willing to take a risk anymore.

The only one seeming like they are happy to bring people in from overseas is the NSW.

The Dan Andrews government here is so risk averse, he waits until the day before to make any decisions because "we have to wait for the science and the data" . So there is no way for the AO to go ahead this year. Start planning for 2022 folks

Can Sydney host the 2021 AO though ? As you said it seems like they're willing to take people in.

If this is the case why didn't we cancel 6 months ago?

Why doesn't the Vic Gov/ Aus Open/ WTA/ATP all split the bill on getting 10-20 planes filled with players, coaches, media etc... and a portion of repatriated Aussies to be placed on each flight?

The cost can then be shared for the quarantined players/staff.

Ensures quality gets here, and so do a lot of Aussies trapped overseas.

Why doesn't the Vic Gov/ Aus Open/ WTA/ATP all split the bill on getting 10-20 planes filled with players, coaches, media etc... and a portion of repatriated Aussies to be placed on each flight?

The cost can then be shared for the quarantined players/staff.

Ensures quality gets here, and so do a lot of Aussies trapped overseas.
They already had their own flights to get the players here, but Dan said no.

If they don't move timeslots, I can't see this going ahead. The players, righty, don't want to get out of a hotel and into the slam.

Ch.9 won't care, as long as it doesn't get into March. Fans don't care. I prefer it to happen and not many of us can attend. Lets just no one would have a holiday booked for this yet. For me, it is a no brainer. The ITF might, but they have no power here. I don't think the WTA/ATP or the other slams would mind a delay by 2-4 weeks.

no word yet on deadline day again.

Back