2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Andrews wants to be the person credited with successfully stopping a 2nd wave and completely eradicating the virus. Hes one of those people who chases HERO WORSHIP where everyone bows down to him and calls him a God. Because of this goal of his he will continue to refuse to allow large groups of people into Victoria because his contact tracers cant handle it. With something small like 500 people coming in a week he would be able to manage the likely 5-10 cases a week because thats about all his contact tracers can handle.

I highly doubt the Aus Open will happen in 2021 and you can solely put the blame at Dan Andrews feet

I suspect the AO will be pushed back to Feb 1, with players arriving in a small window around Jan 8-11, gives them two weeks of quarantine and then a lead-in tournament before AO. If they don't get approval to bring in the desired number of competitors then qualifying will be scrapped.

This is Tennis Australia fault for trying to centralise things in one state. And with that one state being a scared and scarred Victoria; you were always at risk of this happening. And this was the easy option. don't make me laugh

God, I know I am a broken record on that. But we were meant to know 2-3 weeks ago. It beyond frustrating as a fan. Just think what it is like for the players.

Also, Vic Government. Do you want the AO or not???? Hurry up and read the tea leaves and make a call. This is now laughable and a joke.

I can't see the AO attracting a high quality field with the proposed hard quarantine. To make things worse Aussie players will not have to quarantine and enter the bubble like every other tournament played since the advent of COVID.

It makes me really sad that we have such an incompetent leader here in Victoria that has to wait for the science and data before making any decision. This isnt like every other decision he has had to make in the last 9 months where you can wait for the day before to make an announcement on whats happening.

I can't see the AO attracting a high quality field with the proposed hard quarantine. To make things worse Aussie players will not have to quarantine and enter the bubble like every other tournament played since the advent of COVID.
With the amount of money on offer, they'll turn up, they'll play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the amount of money on offer, they'll turn up, they'll play.
You must be related to Andrews - No professional athlete or in fact their sporting organisation would allow such a situation to unfold.

You must be related to Andrews - No professional athlete or in fact their sporting organisation would allow such a situation to unfold.
Money talks, bullshit walks.

The Australian Open is a cashcow for the professional tennis players.

Especially the higher ranked players, who are ultimately all that matters.

Rafa, Fed and and the Joker agree to the stipulations -- which they will -- and the tournament goes ahead.

With or without any particular dissenter ranked from 10 to whatever.

8th Feb is an interesting date, does allow for a possibility of having an event or two in the Middle East before they come here.

It does seem to change by the day, exhausted going through all these rumours and speculation, just want a plan...

Well, reports are now saying Feb 8 has been confirmed in an email sent to the players, hopefully an official announcement either by the tours overnight (they need to announce their calendar) and AO tomorrow.

sounds like it will start 8-Feb.

After much deliberation the government has outlined a strict protocol for players which includes:

- Players must undertake a COVID test within 48 hours of departure to Australia

- COVID testing will take place in the hotel room on days 1, 3, 7, 10 and 14

- From Day 2, following a Day 1 negative test result, players will be able to access practice and gym facilities

- Players will take transport from their hotel for scheduled training for a total of 5 hours per day (2 hours on court, 2 hours in gym, 1 hour on site nutrition/dining)

- All training, gym and nutrition/dining will take place at Melbourne Park and Albert Reserve Tennis Centres

- When not training at the courts, players must remain in their room

“We will also pay for charter flights, player and entourage quarantine costs, meals and accommodation.

“Player accommodation will be covered for their entire stay until they are finished at the AO.

it also sounds that it will be January 15 to start, wit one tournament. I do wonder if the 2 first weeks will be taken by other tennis tournaments.

a huge black hole in the budget.

It's frustrating now, the government needs to make a decision soon and allow the players to train during quarantine just like the afl players did in Brisbane. Create a bubble.

Andrews is a control freak.
You do realise it's totally different from the AFL. There are three to four thousand players, officials, managers, coaches, families, friends etc coming from overseas, many from countries where Covid is out of control. Like the US. If there was to be another outbreak because of lack of proper procedures, I'm guessing people like you would be the first to condemn him.

You do realise it's totally different from the AFL. There are three to four thousand players, officials, managers, coaches, families, friends etc coming from overseas, many from countries where Covid is out of control. Like the US. If there was to be another outbreak because of lack of proper procedures, I'm guessing people like you would be the first to condemn him.

Tennis has run bubbles successfully since July 2020 as has much of professional sport throughout the world -These bubbles have the strictest of bio-security protocols which have been set up by medical professionals - In the case of the Aussie Open players are tested before flying, then on arrival, day,3,7,10 and 14, so five tests within 14 days - It seems like you have little faith in the Victorian Government being able to run a bubble using testing, isolation and contact tracing.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see what Tournaments have to suffer due to the Victorian government not being able to get their s**t together and the AO taking place 3 weeks later than it should be.

Be interesting to see what Tournaments have to suffer due to the Victorian government not being able to get their sh*t together and the AO taking place 3 weeks later than it should be.
WTA, probably nothing as they haven't played for ages anyway.

ATP. The Golden South American swing and Rotterdam. I reckon Dubai and Doha will move to the first weeks of Jan. If they are charting planes, then having a location which is an international transport hub might be wise. that is my guess anyway.

but we will miss out on a long summer of tennis. probably only going to be Melbourne 1-3 and then AO.

Back