2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tennis has run bubbles successfully since July 2020 as has much of professional sport throughout the world -These bubbles have the strictest of bio-security protocols which have been set up by medical professionals - In the case of the Aussie Open players are tested before flying, then on arrival, day,3,7,10 and 14, so five tests within 14 days - It seems like you have little faith in the Victorian Government being able to run a bubble using testing, isolation and contacttracing.
I have plenty of confidence in the government ensuring we don't succumb again. That's why they are being so careful. It's simply untrue to say the tennis tournaments run so far face the same issues as the Aussie Open or the same demands from the players. The Open will go ahead, if some of the big-head players aren't comfortable with our protocols, stiff. I'm sure with the money first round losers get there'll be no shortage of participants.

I've been to every Aus Open since 1996, been to over 100 days at the tournament and Ai have no issues with how strict the vic government are over this.

Pleased it's going ahead (no longer during my holidays either) and that we still have it to look forward to. If players don't want to sign up due to the strict protocols, so be it.

WTA, probably nothing as they haven't played for ages anyway.

ATP. The Golden South American swing and Rotterdam. I reckon Dubai and Doha will move to the first weeks of Jan. If they are charting planes, then having a location which is an international transport hub might be wise. that is my guess anyway.

but we will miss out on a long summer of tennis. probably only going to be Melbourne 1-3 and then AO.

The most interesting thing is that once players finish quarantine they will be free to come and go, whereas as at every other tournament in the COVID era you operate in a hub until you finish the tournament - All this fuss from the Government to achieve lesser bio-security protocols than what is the current standard - A number of players prepare in the off-season in the UAE so tournaments in this region could happen - Apparently there is a pop up tournament next week in Dubai for the ladies.

I have plenty of confidence in the government ensuring we don't succumb again. That's why they are being so careful. It's simply untrue to say the tennis tournaments run so far face the same issues as the Aussie Open or the same demands from the players. The Open will go ahead, if some of the big-head players aren't comfortable with our protocols, stiff. I'm sure with the money first round losers get there'll be no shortage of participants.

Do you realise the protocols involved in tennis tournaments during the COVID era - It's all in tightly controlled bubbles for the duration of the tournament - Under the Andrews proposal once the OZ Open starts there is no bubble as it is played in an open environment - The WTA and the ATP will still have protocols which they will advise players to follow BUT it is not a tightly controlled bubble.

Looking like Indian wells is going to be canned (just doesn't want to play the event without fans) so that will open up the calendar...

WTA, probably nothing as they haven't played for ages anyway.

ATP. The Golden South American swing and Rotterdam. I reckon Dubai and Doha will move to the first weeks of Jan. If they are charting planes, then having a location which is an international transport hub might be wise. that is my guess anyway.

but we will miss out on a long summer of tennis. probably only going to be Melbourne 1-3 and then AO.
Was moved to October to allow for the vaccine to kick in

And probably fair enough. new dates plus one less week most likely. This Aus Open is going to be very costly.

The Aus Open is a ratings winner regardless. Reckon ch.7 are regretting losing the rights. nearly half of the most watched 20 sporting programs on FTA were Aus Open night sessions, with the Nicks match with Nadal being the highest. it dominates its timeslots and it is a nice build for the networks for the start of the year. Tennis(or the Aus Open) is in good shape in this country. Another factor why the Aus Open will never move timeslots(apart from this year)
En87mWPUUAEf92Q

Todd's being saying that for the last 2 months haha.

Miami is a strange one, is Crandon Park still available as surely this tournament won't have fans if it does go ahead, they aren't going to build a court in the middle of Hard Rock Stadium if they have no fans.

Todd has said that a source has said that we should finally have dates in 24-48 hours. I think I have heard that one before.

This calender is going to be really weird. Miami can't move, as their stadium is used for other events.
AO Quals Jan 9-14 in Dubai.
AO Main draw Feb 8 - 21.

and here we are again. Still no word. I am expecting a big info dump once it happens.

Why does this remind me of Freeza in the Namek saga in Dragonball Z when he said the planet has 5 mins til it blows up? long story short, they end up fighting on said, "exploding planet" for another 10 episodes til it actually explodes. random comparison but what the heck. I just want actual news.

Apparently Delray Beach tweeted out confirming first week of January and then deleted it so that's looking likely.

AO qualies in Dubai apparently needs to be signed off by the ATP as they didn't agree to some conditions. Otherwise everyone else was ok with that and the Feb 8 AO start.

Rumour that ATP calendar to be released Sunday as well...

What a mess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be surprised if the Middle East makes a play to run well-funded tournaments in place of the Aussie Open - Prizemoney of 20million for two tournaments - One for the top 64 and one for the rest.

Aus Open workers/volunteers received an email from TA the other day asking about their availability to work from Jan 31 - Feb 21.

So assuming one week for lead up tournament then the open itself.

Finally officially confirmed for 7th.

on the top tweet. Players can sell their touring spots for 7K, while others can buy more. But the limit is 1000.

Still awaiting the official WTA schedule, but we know a lot already with Dubai hosting a 500 event and qualies.

Kudos for TA for moving qualies. much better than not having them and limits the horde of players we normally get.

Back