2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really care about that.

Glad you are happy with blokes at best are top 20 and top 50 players. Nick through all his faults and antics is the only one that has the potential to be contending in the second week of big tournaments

I love watching Kyrgios play, he brings a point of difference and flare that you never really get to see in tennis

But gee he's got to be the whiniest professional sports person alive. For god's sake, you're paid quite handsomely to play sport, just f'in enjoy it.

(Sorry, I'm probably sounding like a broken record by saying this all the time)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon

hopefully doesn't disrupt the flow too much.

Oh s**t just read up on what's happening. Pretty much what the vic government and TA were dreading. If this gets out into the public due to the security guard, Victorian public are going to be fuming.

And 500 contacts, what the heck? Wonder what the consequences are going to be on thr tournament?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Oh sh*t just read up on what's happening. Pretty much what the vic government and TA were dreading. If this gets out into the public due to the security guard, Victorian public are going to be fuming.

And 500 contacts, what the heck? Wonder what the consequences are going to be on thr tournament?
they just gotta get a negative and then play on. It sounds like this guy was on top of it and did everything right so it really should be fine. that includes the players. they have hotel cameras and will trace how he got it and all that. he had a negative test on his last day and it is fresh.

but social media is fun atm. really gotta log off and not start picking fights.

This is where tennis is going. Such is. Hope they come up with a system where you can tell where the outcall came from.

On the courts it pretty cool to see and hear. There is a different voice for each line so its not the same robotic tone all over.

Players obviously can’t challenge but if it’s a close call they try and show the Hawkeye vision between points automatically, and a player can request to see the Hawkeye if isn’t shown for their own curiosity.

The other thing is that the umpire is really there to keep score now. And give code violations.

Must cost a small fortune to do it for all the courts but will undoubtedly save TA in the long run.

Can see all the grand slams doing it down the track.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Official announcement: Melbourne Park matches paused until negative results.

All the tennis cohort at the Grand Hyatt Hotel were tested every day for 2 weeks and tested negative - They will retest the cohort and probably will test negative again - Then you move on UNLESS the positive test has come from the community.

incaciawin

Blues4ever
Aug 7, 2009
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
All the tennis cohort at the Grand Hyatt Hotel were tested every day for 2 weeks and tested negative - They will retest the cohort and probably will test negative again - Then you move on UNLESS the positive test has come from the community.
The positive test has come from a quarantine worker assigned to the Hyatt Hotel where the tennis cohort were staying. There is zero chance it came from the community.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
this is why i was so on edge for the last 6 months about the tennis, i love the tennis but our joke of a government here in Victoria will make an absolute mess of this.

Tennis off today so they might as well scrap these tournaments and play exhibition matches for the rest of the week because they wont finish these tournaments in time now and if there are positive cases now amongst the tennis players, there will be no Aus Open i think

Friday's weather is a mess as well. Time is a huge issue.

They can take a shortcut with ATP cup ties at least. For example, just play 1 set in those dead rubber ties.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

As most are 3 sets no reason players can't play 2 in a day, it's not ideal but they do it on tour sometimes.

Friday's weather is a mess as well. Time is a huge issue.

They can take a shortcut with ATP cup ties at least. For example, just play 1 set in those dead rubber ties.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
ATP cup isn’t such a big problem. Being played at RLA and JC Arena can close the roof.

The others can be played on the indoor courts if need be at the NTC. Won’t be ideal with the courts next to one another and noise going on but they could get through the games.

The positive test has come from a quarantine worker assigned to the Hyatt Hotel where the tennis cohort were staying. There is zero chance it came from the community.
Obviously it was caught from a player or official. The issue lies from where they got it. Was it one of the 6 that had already tested positive that we’re staying there? Or was it from an unknown case that hadn’t been picked up yet? If the latter then I would say the future of the tournament is in doubt.

Oh sh*t just read up on what's happening. Pretty much what the vic government and TA were dreading. If this gets out into the public due to the security guard, Victorian public are going to be fuming.

Wasn’t a security guard, but a support officer.

They are obviously being cautious and testing anyone who stayed there.

The last case left there on the 22nd Jan to the health hotels so you think if there were other positives they would have come up by now.

Tonights AO draw as been delayed for obvious reasons. here's hoping there are no + tests and we can go back to the tennis. As usual, the Vic Government are being very risk-averse here and have even said so, so it sounds unlikely this will be the case.
From what I understand, the rest of the players not linked to the Grand Hyatt were still allowed to practice today. So that's a positive.

Back