2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Player acceptance list. One in the top 10, who is a chance to withdraw as she is still in the seagull trophy. Not great. Suprised Barty and Halep are not playing it.

Rank First nameLast nameNationality
8BiancaAndreescuCAN
12BelindaBencicSUI
14JohannaKontaGBR
17IgaSwiatekPOL
18PetraMarticCRO
19ElenaRybakinaKAZ
20EliseMertensBEL
24JenniferBradyUSA
28YuliaPutintsevaKAZ
32DonnaVekicCRO
34QiangWangCHN
35ShuaiZhangCHN
36VeronikaKudermetovaRUS
39AnastasiaPavlyuchenkovaRUS
42SaisaiZhengCHN
44CarolineGarciaFRA
46DanielleCollinsUSA

Apparently they were hopeful Barty my take a wildcard but it sounds like that woni happen. I know it's only a 250 and it's not this simple but I would of thought playing next week might mean one weeks less travel overseas during the year

Apparently they were hopeful Barty my take a wildcard but it sounds like that woni happen. I know it's only a 250 and it's not this simple but I would of thought playing next week might mean one weeks less travel overseas during the year

I am surprised Barty is not playing this tournament, though it wouldn't mean one week less travel - Anyway, Aussies have been privileged to have such a range of tournaments - Hope Adelaide gets behind the tournament.

I would love to hear a tell all interview with Craig Tiley about the last six months preparation for this year's AO. The guy is a machine.

Clearly Tennis Australia financially have thrown everything at it but it's not the money, I am just amazed we are going to finish an event.

I would love to hear a tell all interview with Craig Tiley about the last six months preparation for this year's AO. The guy is a machine.

Clearly Tennis Australia financially have thrown everything at it but it's not the money, I am just amazed we are going to finish an event.

Interviewed today on Sen by Dwayne Russel - Apparently the tournament will lose +120 million in 2021.

Interviewed today on Sen by Dwayne Russel - Apparently the tournament will lose +120 million in 2021.

Rediculous amount of money, I have heard him interviewed but I am interested more in the negotiations that took places with players and the Government. I think he did the right though, easy to bypass this year but there are no guarantees that 2022 will be normal so they had to run 2021.

Where Tennis Australia were lucky was that the majority of players needed to play due to the money and rankings on offer.

Rediculous amount of money, I have heard him interviewed but I am interested more in the negotiations that took places with players and the Government. I think he did the right though, easy to bypass this year but there are no guarantees that 2022 will be normal so they had to run 2021.

Where Tennis Australia were lucky was that the majority of players needed to play due to the money and rankings on offer.

I struggle to see how 2022 will not be normal - Australia will be fully vaccinated as will many other countries - I agree there is no way the players or the tournament will agree to a two week quarantine in 2022.

That is very disturbing. What's to say some sort of quarantine won't be in place next Aus Open?

There will be no tournament at that time under these circumstances.

Well, it is done.

I am not a huge fan of Tiley overall and I had some choice words in the last few months about things(well, mostly about missing my Hobart International). but the man deserves a break and a long one at that. Talk about stress on the job. Done well to survive the summer.

Getting it done and without any long term reputation loss makes this a successful tournament. Here's hoping next year, the world will be in a better place and we can have a normal summer of tennis, with all the tournaments in their usual slot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge, while a majority was COVID related I think Tennis Australia via pressure from the Internal Tennis Community has been considering moving the event into Feb and outside of school holidays. I think this year puts that argument away.

Think it's faux pressure to move the Oz Open as the rest of the calendar appears happy with their dates - Overseas fans missing was the key takeaway from this edition of the Oz Open - They add nearly 15% to the total attendance, along with their energy and pizazz.

Back