• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
been thinking of creating this super early. finally got enough news to do so. News and discussion on what is going to happen are slowing going to leak over the next couple of months.

kooyong has already been canned. As an exho, it would be just too hard for them to do a bubble or anything. No big shame, the tournament has been a shadow of its recent self

Tennis Australia is holding out hope of staging January's Australian Open with half as many spectators as normal – an "unbelievable" outcome – as the COVID-19 pandemic plays havoc with Victoria's major events calendar.

The sport's governing body is persisting with plans to stage January's major in Melbourne while operating "biosecure bubbles" in five cities to ensure the summer schedule – including the lead-up ATP Cup teams event – plays out as normal as possible.
So, Tennis Australia want to have 50% capacity for the AO. There are other plans, including no fans or moving but it sounds like they are really keen on the former. Other news seems to be that the ATP Cup will be played in one city. They are also expecting the borders to come down. I think that last point is very optimistic regarding WA. As a Tasmanian, I reckon we will open if the mainland states get it under control, as summer is our peak tourist season. But Our state borders could mean all the warm up tournaments being played in one location if we are still 6 different countries.

It will be interesting to see how many players will be willing to spend X-mas in a hotel room in quarantine. there is no way our government will drop the 14 days of quarantine, so they will have to put up with it. That will make it tough for those foreign commentators to come down to cover the event. Todd is going to be a very busy person.

So, what do you think will happen to next years summer of tennis.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
It depends so much on what happens in Melbourne over the next couple of months, as well as if cases rise in NSW and Queensland.

Really struggling to see how crowds will be allowed at the Aus Open in January.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Too many variables at this stage to make an accurate prediction.

I think it will go ahead, and small attendances will be allowed.

I've noticed the MCG wants to have limited capacity for the Boxing Day Test, and if that goes off without a hitch then I think they may allow limited spectators for the Australian Open.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
don't disagree about the many variables still to happen. But i think we can make some solid predictions of some issues.

the players are going to have to quarantine in Australia for 2 weeks. I can not see any state and federal governments giving that thing a miss. Hopefully, Tennis Australia has some hotels with tennis courts booked up around x-mas.

this leads into another issue. The warm-up tournaments in China(Shenzhen) and Qatar. And perhaps the Auckland tournaments. They will have to be moved or cancelled.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Tilley was on SEN this morning.

-100% in Melbourne
--56 weeks in Australia. About to announce more details. Basically confirmed no international tennis tournaments.
-Will run at a loss this year.
-looking at 25% capacity at this stage. mentioned giant reserved seat stadiums and a way to manage the crowd outside.

Full interview

My opinion,
I would be surprised if Hobart doesn't get an ATP 250 tournament the week before our WTA one, IF there is one on the table. makes sense as we have all the infrastructure for a small tournament already and a free week.

What other cities could host a tournament. Is the Gold Coast complex still around. I know Canberra has a Challenger, could it upgrade. Will the ATP Cup still be held in 3 cities?

Of course, that is assuming the borders do come down and that Tennis Australia just doesn't hold a tournament at Melbourne Park, ala "Cinci" . i really hope they don't.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
there wont be any tennis in melbourne i feel, if the AO goes ahead it will be in sydney or brisbane and there wont be any leadup tournaments , will be straight out of 14 day quarantine into the AO

there wont be any tennis in melbourne i feel, if the AO goes ahead it will be in sydney or brisbane and there wont be any leadup tournaments , will be straight out of 14 day quarantine into the AO

Certainly not what they are planning. Looks like there will be AO series as well, just what it looks like nobody has any idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paire has tested positive again in Germany. Are the VIC government going to risk a third wave from having a few hundred tennis players fly in from all over the world.

Let's see what they have planned before judging....

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I heard TA are looking into private jets for the players to arrive. Our capacity for arrivals and the 2 weeks quarantine are the bigger issues than Melbourne atm. We still have thousands of Aussies unable to arrive in the country due to the limit of our hotel system. Letting a bunch of tennis players before them is going to be a PR issue.

You would think they will try and create a bubble-like system in a couple of fully booked hotels. but that is going to be a tough sell for any state government with what happened in Victoria and private security. If there is an error here, then the state government who let them in is going to be killed. I think Tennis Aus will be looking closely with what is going to happen with the Indian Test team.

what is for certain is that the sort of thing with Parie atm(he is still positive, just not "spreading it") will not happen. no sooking about how tough it will be to arrive in this country. it is very simple. If you risk this countries health, you are going to be absolutely slaughtered by every man and his dog. The players have to be told that we are covid free(mostly) and there is NO CHANCE that you will be allowed into this country proper unless you test negative. the is no room for negotiation here. Jail is even a possibility. It is vital they get this to avoid the biggest PR ever and the health of millions of Australians. Just think what would happen if Novak and friends were seen at a nightclub and one of them should be isolating and another wave happens. You would not leave this country alive.

I think Melbourne will be fine by Jan. If there is a 3rd wave in that state, then this country will have bigger issues than a tennis tournament.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The first Domino.

I am surprised by this call now. We have opened our borders up to NZ. One thinks the tournament doesn't have any political influence at all in either NZ or with TA.
Very interested to find out the 6 week schedule they are planning. I would have to guess they will announce shortly after the French you would think..
I thought it was 2 weeks quarantine and the normal 4 weeks playing. but you might be right. still, I can't see anothr week due to x-mas.

looking at the calender, they have been lucky that this year it is a late Aus Open starting 18th. An extra week of tennis is easy with boxing day on the saturday.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the current case numbers in Melbourne looking unlikely to fall below Dan Andrews thresholds I'm really struggling to see how Aus Open will go ahead.

Back