2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Lion71

All Australian
Oct 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did contemplate that after i posted it but still its not that far and the league might be able to help them by giving them a couple in a row at home at the halfway point or something like that
Yes. But it’s a one off.
Seymour and Euroa a tad shorter
But Rochy and Echuca don’t normally play all three over there in a season.

Kerang has to head to Bendigo every second week, just to start travelling to other teams
On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

olly21

Senior List
Apr 13, 2010
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you would want to look after what you boys have now. The league must do everything in there power to help Castlemaine and Marybourgh and to a lesser extent Kyneton to get up the ladder. I’m notsure how if it’s money or help running there clubs but If you lose the 2 that have been mentioned what would gisborne be thinking? I’d say you would eventually lose gisborne to the Ballarat league and they were only a whisker off going previously. With Sunbury Melton and bacchus marsh all within half an hour and in that league they must fix there own backyard or it will become a much smaller comp.

Bush Fly

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The obvious one is maiden gully ycw, the other is Kerang, most of their juniors move south for uni and work opportunities, much like Colac when they moved from Hampden to the Geelong league, they are a strong club and would enjoy the move to a higher league to test themselves, the only problem is where do their juniors play
Kerang to places like Gisborne, Kyneton and Maryborough wouldn't be too attractive I don't think. With Castlemaine their is the opportunity to go in the MCDFL and then create a Div 1 and Div 2 of that Competition. There would be a chance of another Club or two from the Central Highlands jumping over as well. Div 1 could have a higher Cap and the standard would be quite reasonable I think.

olly21

Senior List
Apr 13, 2010
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Kerang to places like Gisborne, Kyneton and Maryborough wouldn't be too attractive I don't think. With Castlemaine their is the opportunity to go in the MCDFL and then create a Div 1 and Div 2 of that Competition. There would be a chance of another Club or two from the Central Highlands jumping over as well. Div 1 could have a higher Cap and the standard would be quite reasonable I think.
Im notsure it would work with relegation promotion tho. No club in the MCDFL would do any better than Castlemaine is right now and I don’t think the league would be interested.

Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I think fly is talking about a two tired mcdfl as opposed to any other Castlemaine based club joining the bfl. I'm not sold on two tiered comps in country footy, especially for a minor league, why not just have one big league and play each other once? My thinking with Maine to the central highlands, is it is a point of difference from mcdfl, slightly higher standard to attract people to play there, if all clubs surrounding Castlemaine play in the same league not sure why you would play for Maine over Maldon, if you're already at Maldon. Is there too many clubs around the Maine, they could merge with Campbell's creek and play home games at both ovals in the central highlands

Im notsure it would work with relegation promotion tho. No club in the MCDFL would do any better than Castlemaine is right now and I don’t think the league would be interested.

Bush Fly

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think fly is talking about a two tired mcdfl as opposed to any other Castlemaine based club joining the bfl. I'm not sold on two tiered comps in country footy, especially for a minor league, why not just have one big league and play each other once? My thinking with Maine to the central highlands, is it is a point of difference from mcdfl, slightly higher standard to attract people to play there, if all clubs surrounding Castlemaine play in the same league not sure why you would play for Maine over Maldon, if you're already at Maldon. Is there too many clubs around the Maine, they could merge with Campbell's creek and play home games at both ovals in the central highlands
Yep that's what I meant. The issue I have with big Leagues 12 Plus is that it makes a Clubs chance to have some success every so often very slim. 8 to 9 to 10 is ideal.

silver55

Rookie
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
The really interesting aspect of the BFNL this season is if South make the finals who is going to miss out of last year's final five. It would be a bitter pill for any of these teams to swallow.
I still can’t see the top 5 changing and I say that as a south bendigo supporter! Hope I am wrong. The next 3 weeeks will obviously be huge for the bloods vs slags strath and square. GO SOUTH!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AlburyE

Senior List
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I still can’t see the top 5 changing and I say that as a south bendigo supporter! Hope I am wrong. The next 3 weeeks will obviously be huge for the bloods vs slags strath and square. GO SOUTH!!
The winner of South v Sandhurst will be undefeated after 5 rounds and be in a very strong position to make the finals. The loser will joint Strath, Eaglehawk, Gisbourne & Square and one of these teams will have a very unwanted vacation in September.

Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Gizzy twos would have beat them comfortably lion, I reckon I could get a game in their ones still.

How long has it being since they changed their jumper? I think the Castlemaine community need to decide if they want to play in the bfl anymore

Safe to say Castlemaine won't win a game this year

Lion71

All Australian
Oct 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At the moment i cant even see them being competitive in the MCDFL,
I think Gizzy twos would have beat them comfortably lion, I reckon I could get a game in their ones still.

How long has it being since they changed their jumper? I think the Castlemaine community need to decide if they want to play in the bfl anymore

localfootyguru

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FC, Ouyen FC
At the moment i cant even see them being competitive in the MCDFL,

The way things are Castlemaine may be unlikely to see out the year with two senior teams. They are really struggling with numbers and things are only going to be bleaker as the year progresses. Not enough players and finance available to be somewhat competitive. In the Castlemaine area there are too many clubs competing for players and sponsorship dollars which have been greatly impacted due to the pandemic.

Remove this Banner Ad