2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Lions have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.

Keidean Coleman probably the only one who’s an okay chance of playing round one - he’ll play quite a bit of senior footy this year at any rate I’d expect.

Mondays team will most likely see our best 22 baring anyone carrying an injury
True match conditions so rotations down to 75.
So which 3 minimum will drop out of the 25 from the Suns trial game.

I think our rucks will be the O & Jo show combo so Fullarton misses out
Mathieson i only see as backup so he also misses.
The third is a bit harder to pick. It is probably between Keidean Coleman, Eli Smith & James Madden
If it is one of these i think it may be Eli that misses
The other option is they rest Zorko and leave it to those three to improve their chances to get into round one. He does look like he needs a game though.
Robbo is always in consideration for best 22 but they did not select him for the last game.

So, for me Out: Fullarton, Mathieson & Zorko (it's a long season)

Birchall. Andrews. Rich
Starc. Payne. Ah chee

bailey. Lyons. Hugh m
Big o. Neale. Zorko

Charlie Hippy. Rayner
K Coleman Big Joe. McCarthy

Int: Fullerton, Berry, Mcstay, Mitch R

Birchall. Andrews. Rich
Starc. Payne. Ah chee

bailey. Lyons. Hugh m
Big o. Neale. Zorko

Charlie Hippy. Rayner
K Coleman Big Joe. McCarthy

Int: Fullerton, Berry, Mcstay, Mitch R
Lester will be retained as the 7th defender.
Probably in replace of Fullarton and toss the coin as to whether Mitch gets a go over Ely?
Zorko will probably be named in the forward line, so Kiddy to the bench and Berry in Zorkos spot in the midfield.

Mondays team will most likely see our best 22 baring anyone carrying an injury
True match conditions so rotations down to 75.
So which 3 minimum will drop out of the 25 from the Suns trial game.

I think our rucks will be the O & Jo show combo so Fullarton misses out
Mathieson i only see as backup so he also misses.
The third is a bit harder to pick. It is probably between Keidean Coleman, Eli Smith & James Madden
If it is one of these i think it may be Eli that misses
The other option is they rest Zorko and leave it to those three to improve their chances to get into round one. He does look like he needs a game though.
Robbo is always in consideration for best 22 but they did not select him for the last game.

So, for me Out: Fullarton, Mathieson & Zorko (it's a long season)
Your correct in that it is a long season and for that reason I agree, would like to see Zorko miss Monday night and give the young guys more exposure. It is not like Zorko does not know the group or the game style (even if it is changing).

Will be very interesting to see who makes the 22. I haven't seen what the game conditions are, but I would expect we would be playing 22 players and at reduced rotations as a full round 1 hit out. This will show the midfield rotations a bit more truthfully, and it will be very interesting to see where players start and rotate to.

I would have Madden and Fullerton out along with either Matho or Smith.

Really doubt we need to rest senior players before the season begins. That is why their work loads are managed during preseason, down to only playing half of the intraclub games.

They don't need to be nursed into the season, it is already accounted for in their programs. Fitness wise I would expect the older more experienced players would actually be slightly under peak. The season is long, and you probably want these guys hitting peak fitness round 6-8. Even as a team, we've seen teams come out firing round 1 and then hit a wall half way through the season and fizzle out.

It was a very different year last year and I trust our fitness staff to be all over having the guys where they need to be at the right time of year.

really depends how fit Zorko and M Robbo is. Less rotations you not want to play someone borderline.
Really depends if the body not 100% or the fitness people had a plan, if a plan then they probably locked in now.

Going on the teams announced for tonight's game they have listed 26 players so 6 on the bench. One more than last week
I was under the impression that only 22 players will take the field. See below from the AFL article Jan 2021
So maybe we will get to see the same squad from last week plus one more.

Edit: The commentators Thursday night mentioned that 4 players will have limited time on the ground.
Once they come on they can't be replaced. Not sure what that means exactly.

One 2021 AAMI Community Series Match
  • AFL-sanctioned pre-season matches will be held from Wednesday, March 3 to Sunday, March 7 2021.
  • Format and game length as per those in place for the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
  • The updated fixture and ticketing arrangements for the 2021 AAMI Community Series will be advised in due course with all clubs to have a minimum seven-day break between pre-season practice matches and the AAMI Community Series.

Last edited:
For anyone who watched tonight's Saints game it is worth remembering that Hill was at the Hawks when Fagan was. That is in addition to Smith. I am sure he values that kind of runner and is one of the reasons I would in no way be surprised if Sharp is given every chance later in the season. That kind of power runner can really paper over some cracks and make ball movement a lot easier.

For anyone who watched tonight's Saints game it is worth remembering that Hill was at the Hawks when Fagan was. That is in addition to Smith. I am sure he values that kind of runner and is one of the reasons I would in no way be surprised if Sharp is given every chance later in the season. That kind of power runner can really paper over some cracks and make ball movement a lot easier.
Loved Hills running in last nights game. Kept breaking the spread of the ball open.

Let's assume all of Gardiner, Cockatoo, Answerth, McStay and Rayner are out for Round 1, who makes the best 22?

For me-

B Rich Andrews Lester
HB Birchall Payne Starcevich
C McCluggage Berry Bailey
HF Zorko Hipwood Coleman
F McCarthy Daniher Cameron
R McInerney Neale Lyons
I Ah Chee Fullarton Robinson ?

That final bench spot is completely up for grabs. I wonder if Sharp will get a crack. Or if we look to Ely or Dev? Birchall plays Round 1 but his spot is there for the taking. I hope Answerth can get back and take that spot.

Cam's injury will be a chance for someone to really establish their career. I think we can cover Cam with Lyons in the middle and someone like Coleman/Cockatoo or even Ah Chee in the forward line. If we do decide to persist with Lyon more on the wing or forward we could make up Cam's midfield minutes with Dev, Ely or Matho. I personally would have Coleman play the forward role until Cockatoo is fit. If Cockatoo is better in the backline then move Ah Chee forward. Lyons still looked fantastic in the middle. He can keep that spot warm for Cam until 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's assume all of Gardiner, Cockatoo, Answerth, McStay and Rayner are out for Round 1, who makes the best 22?

For me-

B Rich Andrews Lester
HB Birchall Payne Starcevich
C McCluggage Berry Bailey
HF Zorko Hipwood Coleman
F McCarthy Daniher Cameron
R McInerney Neale Lyons
I Ah Chee Fullarton Robinson ?

That final bench spot is completely up for grabs. I wonder if Sharp will get a crack. Or if we look to Ely or Dev? Birchall plays Round 1 but his spot is there for the taking. I hope Answerth can get back and take that spot.
Personally I’d give it to Dev.

The big issue we still need to address is a speedy defender. Papley will have an absolute field day in Round 1 playing on any of our current defenders. Without Answerth I can’t see who could possibly play on him,maybe Ah Chee is the only possibility.

The big issue we still need to address is a speedy defender. Papley will have an absolute field day in Round 1 playing on any of our current defenders. Without Answerth I can’t see who could possibly play on him,maybe Ah Chee is the only possibility.
Papley not in good form

Papley not in good form
Papley went ok on the weekend when Logan MacDonald came in. The first half had Sydney trying to use Papley and Parker as their main points of attack, which does not play to their strengths. MacDonald gave them a focus and all of a sudden Papley looked a lot more dangerous in the broken play from marking spillages, which is where he's been at his best.

Bearing in mind he was up against Sam Reid who, even though he has limitations on the offensive side, is actually a very good small defender, I think he did ok and will need to be respected in Round 1.

Darcy Gardiner, Nakia Cockatoo, Noah Answerth, Connor McFadyen, Daniel McStay and Cam Rayner:disappointed: unavailable-

Callum Ah Chee, Jack Payne, Grant Birchall.
Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich.

Oscar McInerney, Jarrod Berry, Lachie Neale.
Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Zac Bailey.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Tom Fullarton, Joe Daniher, Dayne Zorko.

Ryan Lester, Keidean Coleman, Eli Smith, Mitch Robinson.

Very tempted to play James Madden for Grant Birchall and/or Dev Robertson for Eli Smith, bring on the Swans.

Has anybody heard any scuttlebutt on what the crowd arrangements will be for round 1 at the Gabba.

1- Will there be a crowd limit?
2- If there is a crowd limit I assume that means there will be a ballot for admission.
3- Will we get to sit in our designated member seat, I changed seating pre the 2020 season to the most expensive option and didn't get to sit there at all.

2- If there is a crowd limit I assume that means there will be a ballot for admission.
I recall reading that membership will guarantee you entry, presumably because our membership numbers are lower than the Gabba's capacity.

Has anybody heard any scuttlebutt on what the crowd arrangements will be for round 1 at the Gabba.

1- Will there be a crowd limit?
3- Will we get to sit in our designated member seat, I changed seating pre the 2020 season to the most expensive option and didn't get to sit there at all.
My understanding is that Qld Stadiums are at 100%??

Now that the dust is settling with Cam's injury :'( :'( :'( it is up to the coaches to figure out how to replace him.

Unfortunately I think we will need to use Lyons in a similar role as last year, which is a shame because it looked like he was being groomed to lead the second midfield unit. I also think Zorko must play more midfield minutes as we severely lack an explosive mid to go with guys like Danger and Dusty. Bailey will need to improve a bit as a pure mid as well.

I think for us to go any better than last season we will need someone to bob up and pick up the slack left by Cam's absence which is difficult given his unique skill set. Who do we have on the list who can be an inside bull but also a goal kicking half forward?

Now that the dust is settling with Cam's injury :'( :'( :'( it is up to the coaches to figure out how to replace him.

Unfortunately I think we will need to use Lyons in a similar role as last year, which is a shame because it looked like he was being groomed to lead the second midfield unit. I also think Zorko must play more midfield minutes as we severely lack an explosive mid to go with guys like Danger and Dusty. Bailey will need to improve a bit as a pure mid as well.

I think for us to go any better than last season we will need someone to bob up and pick up the slack left by Cam's absence which is difficult given his unique skill set. Who do we have on the list who can be an inside bull but also a goal kicking half forward?
It's not as if Cam was any huge influence last year though . What we were hoping for this year was considerable improvement but it wasn't guaranteed.

You're talking a very good player if we need an inside bull who is also a goal kicking half forward.

I think McCarthy could have it in him to some degree. And agree it would be a big bonus if Zorks could get back to what he was a couple of years ago . Dev Robertson is one who could potentially step up but maybe a year or two away . CEY has the tools but unfortunately just hasn't shown he's near good enough so far.

It's devastating for Cam and the club mainly for what we hoped he would be , we can replace what he was last year. Fingers crossed we can get him back on the track for 2022. He really did seem fitter and focused this year. These young men never deserve what they cop with serious injuries but Cam seems the type to make the best of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back