2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct first goal looked like Birchall was on him, but it was a good pass out in front and nothing really any defender could do. Sexton's second goal was when Rich was 1 v 1 and gave away a free, so in Starc's defence appeared was not on him the entire time.
Even at the end of the game Starc got caught on the mark to him but it wasn't his man for a couple of them

Clubs are going to use lots of loopholes with this new rule, just you wait and see :rolleyes:

Can't wait for someone like Dangerfield to get subbed out 2 minutes from the match ending cause he has a "little hammy" but is able to play again next week cause it feels better lol :drunk:

Should have made it, so if the player gets subbed out from injury (besides concussion), they would miss a match regardless of if they are able to play the following week to stop players from doing a little fake injury at the end of the match.

Anyways, who does everyone think will be the 23rd player in our team then, this Saturday? Mathieson I think would the hot favourite for the position IMO although if the rule indicates it has to be a player 21 or under, it's going to be mighty interesting who we choose?

Just think about it as being a standard sub like last time. Then you don't get angry about it.

Clubs will get bitten on the arse if they use it like a tactical substitution rather than how it was intended only to have a real medical issue soon after which leaves them one man down.

Should have made it, so if the player gets subbed out from injury (besides concussion), they would miss a match regardless of if they are able to play the following week to stop players from doing a little fake injury at the end of the match.
My understanding is that this is the case.

From the AFL website article:

“To be eligible for a medical substitution, the club doctor must decide that an injured player will be unable to play a game in the next 12 days.”

Concussed players must already sit out a mandatory 12-day recovery period under new protocols introduced by the AFL for the 2021 season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563046

“To be eligible for a medical substitution, the club doctor must decide that an injured player will be unable to play a game in the next 12 days.”

Concussed players must already sit out a mandatory 12-day recovery period under new protocols introduced by the AFL for the 2021 season.

What if a team has the next weekend off or if it's the Grand Final?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563046

Fox Footy has a different take:

Importantly, even if a player is ruled out, they will be eligible to play the following week, unless the injury is a concussion where a mandatory 12-day lay-off will still apply. However if the injury is non-concussive, it must be reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.

So the club doctor must decide that an injured player will reasonably be unable to play a game in the next 12 days, but if they're incorrect, e.g. the injury is less serious than initially determined, the player is not prohibited from playing in those 12 days.

Fox Footy has a different take:

Importantly, even if a player is ruled out, they will be eligible to play the following week, unless the injury is a concussion where a mandatory 12-day lay-off will still apply. However if the injury is non-concussive, it must be reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.

So the club doctor must decide that an injured player will reasonably be unable to play a game in the next 12 days, but if they're incorrect, e.g. the injury is less serious than initially determined, the player is not prohibited from playing in those 12 days.
So there is the loop hole.

I still believe the AFL initiated this "concussion sub" for future litigation purposes.
But the coaches and clubs have now hijacker the idea to try and gain some benefit.
Also helps with rotations now that they are down to 75 this year.
Would have preferred any replacement stays on ground for the remainder on the game. So no bench time.
But some would say that is not good for the health and welfare of that player

So 12 days is 12 days. Should have no baring of if it is a GF or a bye round
Last year 12 days could have been 3 games

Back to seeing these sub players doing laps of the oval after the game to make up for not playing in the twos.
Archie could see his AFL game numbers increase in 2021. But more than likely an extra mid will get the gig

I just hope the Lions never have to use the sub in 2021

I still believe the AFL initiated this "concussion sub" for future litigation purposes.
But the coaches and clubs have now hijacker the idea to try and gain some benefit.
Also helps with rotations now that they are down to 75 this year.
Would have preferred any replacement stays on ground for the remainder on the game. So no bench time.
But some would say that is not good for the health and welfare of that player

So 12 days is 12 days. Should have no baring of if it is a GF or a bye round
Last year 12 days could have been 3 games

Back to seeing these sub players doing laps of the oval after the game to make up for not playing in the twos.
Archie could see his AFL game numbers increase in 2021. But more than likely an extra mid will get the gig

I just hope the Lions never have to use the sub in 2021
My thoughts are that an extra runner will get the gig most times.
But a utility may get a go too, like Lester once Dizzy comes back into the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be a best '23' now.
There are loopholes in all this that no one has even thought of yet.

Maybe your sub is a guy who generally only has a quarter or two in him but is impactful in that time.

In times gone by you had to drag some people off the ground who had some of their parts missing. Now maybe a niggle could become something that renders you unable to keep going.

You can see where this is going can't you. They're going to allow teams to sub players off within a year or two. Not much point having emergencies turn up with all their gear if you hardly ever play them.

There are loopholes in all this that no one has even thought of yet.

Maybe your sub is a guy who generally only has a quarter or two in him but is impactful in that time.

In times gone by you had to drag some people off the ground who had some of their parts missing. Now maybe a niggle could become something that renders you unable to keep going.

You can see where this is going can't you. They're going to allow teams to sub players off within a year or two. Not much point having emergencies turn up with all their gear if you hardly ever play them.
It's not dissimilar to when we had the 19th and 20th men.

Someone who couldn't get a kick got dragged.

Typical AFL . Put it all on to the doctors . So if it turns out the guy who got subbed was fine the doctor's integrity will get called into question. As if a doctor or anyone is able to make a lineball call on someone's fitness to go on when you have a fresh player champing at the bit. Pressure on the Doc's from the AFL and the Clubs.

Why not take all the guesswork ,rorting, and imponderables out of it and just allow everyone to have a sub ,but once you've used it if someone goes down bad luck.

That way the responsibility sits with the coaches and it's fair for everybody.

Usually not till the last quarter
You had to be having a stinker to be dragged before 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter
Apart from bad injury of course
Well yes , but they're not going to sub someone off early now unless they're unable to go on . Just the same as when you had a 19th and 20th.

It's an easy fix for the AFL to make it fair without the can of worms that this is going to throw up. But they love taking the hard route.

Well yes , but they're not going to sub someone off early now unless they're unable to go on . Just the same as when you had a 19th and 20th.

It's an easy fix for the AFL to make it fair without the can of worms that this is going to throw up. But they love taking the hard route.
Next year they will either drop it or just make it 5 on the bench

Typical AFL . Put it all on to the doctors . So if it turns out the guy who got subbed was fine the doctor's integrity will get called into question. As if a doctor or anyone is able to make a lineball call on someone's fitness to go on when you have a fresh player champing at the bit. Pressure on the Doc's from the AFL and the Clubs.

Why not take all the guesswork ,rorting, and imponderables out of it and just allow everyone to have a sub ,but once you've used it if someone goes down bad luck.

That way the responsibility sits with the coaches and it's fair for everybody.
And this is the issue and why the AFL is so ameteur at times.

I doubt one person would have had an issue with the 23rd man if it was solely for concussions whereby the player coming off is now out for 12 days. You'd think it would've been hard to rort. Secondly and a massive bug-bear for mine is the rewarding of a game to the 23rd player than for the most part that will rarely play. If it was only for concussion related incidents, then you'd be lucky to have one or two 23rd players notching a game, which is legitimate. Sitting in your tracksuit and not playing should never credit you for a game.

How this was signed off is purely laughable. And on top of that, I've watched all the footy shows tonight (FC still going) and the 23rd player being credited with a game hasn't even been mentioned. How is that not the second most important issue when we're talking about integrity of the game when players will rack up games when they are sitting in the stands.

Name me one of other sport where that occurs?

And this is the issue and why the AFL is so ameteur at times.

I doubt one person would have had an issue with the 23rd man if it was solely for concussions whereby the player coming off is now out for 12 days. You'd think it would've been hard to rort. Secondly and a massive bug-bear for mine is the rewarding of a game to the 23rd player than for the most part that will rarely play. If it was only for concussion related incidents, then you'd be lucky to have one or two 23rd players notching a game, which is legitimate. Sitting in your tracksuit and not playing should never credit you for a game.

How this was signed off is purely laughable. And on top of that, I've watched all the footy shows tonight (FC still going) and the 23rd player being credited with a game hasn't even been mentioned. How is that not the second most important issue when we're talking about integrity of the game when players will rack up games when they are sitting in the stands.

Name me one of other sport where that occurs?

Exactly agree to you Dylan and everyone else.

I'm not the one to get angry and rant over rule changes but this has been such an embarrassment as an professional sporting organisation to do this

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS

If the AFL were so called SMART about this, which they ain't given the shite decisions they have made these past years, it would have been just a concussion substitution and that was it. If the sub player isn't needed and doesn't play, it doesn't count as a game. If a player is injured, regardless of injury, they are out of the next round, unless its concussion which is 12 days.

SIMPLE AS THAT

But no, the AFL tries to be stupid as always and call it a medical sub for no reason and allow the sub to count it as a match for * sake. It mind boggles me how that is even a rule that players count matches for being a sub. Who the hell said "you know what this is such a good idea" :drunk:

There is going to be so many loopholes associated this sub now this season with a player having a dodgy hamstring or whatever, it isn't even funny anymore. I bet you I could have played a minimum 100 AFL games at a football club, by doing nothing and being a sub showing how ****ed that rule is :tearsofjoy:

I'm going to sleep, sick of this crap organisation who makes the most stupid rulings possible.

Should just get 5 year olds in the AFL headquarters instead. Probably would do a better job then these muppets controlling our sport FFS.

Last edited:
Harry sharp might be a cheeky little sub player. Could come on with his already superior running power when players are tired. Could be fun to see at least once this season.

No way this rule doesn't end with a team abusing the rule on grand final day and I'm honestly all for it. Gives the AFL world some controversy to keep the news flowing until trade week.

I think we should bring Josh Drummond and/or James Polkinghorne back onto our list(both on 94 games) and sit them on the bench for 6 games:think:.... apparently they both have sons that are going to be elite players.:D;)

would not mind going back to 2 on a bench. no caps on interchange needed.
Then they can have 2 subs.
Still weird when you trying to get a roll on and each goal kicker seems to be benched after kicking a goal. Like it is punishment :)
If your hot leave them on the field. It is a confidence and adrenaline game
I always think its like a fast bowler just got 2 wickets in his first over you rest them straight away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back