2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only two Rounds in, however, in 6 or so weeks time I'd like to see our side closer to the below than what it is listed as tomorrow night with the changes I've suggested below to happen sporadically over the next month or so as players return from injury.

In: McInerney Gardiner J.Berry McStay Answerth E.Smith Cockatoo
Out: Ballenden Lester T.Berry Fullarton Birchall Robinson Payne/Adams

B Rich Payne/Adams Gardiner
HB Starcevich Andrews Answerth
C Bailey J.Berry McCluggage
HF McCarthy Hipwood Zorko
F Cameron Daniher McStay
R McInerney Neale Lyons
I Ah Chee Cockatoo Robertson E.Smith

Hopefully guys like K.Coleman, Mathieson, Joyce, T.Berry, Madden, Fullarton, Sharp, Prior ect. can put pressure on this team as well.

I think this shows that we still have a lot of internal improvement from players to come from the reserves/return from injury. McInerney a straight swap for Ballenden once he returns, likewise Gardiner for Lester, McStay for Fullarton and swap the Berry brothers at this stage of their careers. I'd like Answerth to return over Birchall and give us more run/lock down defensive nous. Likewise I'd love for Ely Smith to finally force his way in and overthrow Robinson(As much as I love Robbo we need a younger player to come in and command his spot now). The final change would be another running player over the extra tall we've brought in for tomorrow night. That'd be Cockatoo coming in at the expense of either Payne or Adams(Whichever one performs better over the next few rounds to secure their spot).

Is it just me or does our team just look that much stronger with McStay and Gardiner in it? They cop some flak on here at times but they both play their roles incredibly effectively and are super important structurally as our 2nd/3rd tall's at either end. I think we've missed both immensely in the opening two rounds and the team will look much better overall when they return and find form.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Good fantasy idea lionshine, in 6 weeks with everyone available except Rayner and McFadyen.

Daniel Rich, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.
Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons.
Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Zac Bailey.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Daniel McStay, Joe Daniher, Dayne Zorko.

Nakia Cockatoo, Callum Ah Chee(wing/fwd), Deven Robertson, Noah Answerth. Sub- Ely Smith/James Madden/Marcus Adams.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good fantasy idea lionshine, in 6 weeks with everyone available except Rayner and McFadyen.

Daniel Rich, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.
Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons.
Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Zac Bailey.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Daniel McStay, Joe Daniher, Dayne Zorko.

Nakia Cockatoo, Callum Ah Chee(wing/fwd), Deven Robertson, Noah Answerth. Sub- Ely Smith/James Madden/Marcus Adams.
I like the idea of switching Coleman and Ah Chee between the backline and forward line. Could be the making of both.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only two Rounds in, however, in 6 or so weeks time I'd like to see our side closer to the below than what it is listed as tomorrow night with the changes I've suggested below to happen sporadically over the next month or so as players return from injury.

In: McInerney Gardiner J.Berry McStay Answerth E.Smith Cockatoo
Out: Ballenden Lester T.Berry Fullarton Birchall Robinson Payne/Adams

B Rich Payne/Adams Gardiner
HB Starcevich Andrews Answerth
C Bailey J.Berry McCluggage
HF McCarthy Hipwood Zorko
F Cameron Daniher McStay
R McInerney Neale Lyons
I Ah Chee Cockatoo Robertson E.Smith

Hopefully guys like K.Coleman, Mathieson, Joyce, T.Berry, Madden, Fullarton, Sharp, Prior ect. can put pressure on this team as well.

I think this shows that we still have a lot of internal improvement from players to come from the reserves/return from injury. McInerney a straight swap for Ballenden once he returns, likewise Gardiner for Lester, McStay for Fullarton and swap the Berry brothers at this stage of their careers. I'd like Answerth to return over Birchall and give us more run/lock down defensive nous. Likewise I'd love for Ely Smith to finally force his way in and overthrow Robinson(As much as I love Robbo we need a younger player to come in and command his spot now). The final change would be another running player over the extra tall we've brought in for tomorrow night. That'd be Cockatoo coming in at the expense of either Payne or Adams(Whichever one performs better over the next few rounds to secure their spot).

Is it just me or does our team just look that much stronger with McStay and Gardiner in it? They cop some flak on here at times but they both play their roles incredibly effectively and are super important structurally as our 2nd/3rd tall's at either end. I think we've missed both immensely in the opening two rounds and the team will look much better overall when they return and find form.
Very much my thoughts now too. Can't see a place in the side anymore for Birchall and Robbo. Want to see JBerry playing big minutes in the middle. If I'm being extra picky I would prob bring in either TBerry or Coleman to add to the forward pressure at the expense of Dev, Cocky or Ely.

SL16

Senior List
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My 'wishful thinking' best 22, with everyone bar Rayner available, and everyone in good form:

FB: Gardiner, Payne, Starcevich
HB: Ah Chee, Andrews, Rich
C: McCluggage, Neale, Bailey
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Zorko
FF: McCarthy, Daniher, Coleman
R: McInerney, Lyons, J Berry
I: McStay, Lester, Ellis-Yolmen,?

The 22nd spot would be Rayner's, but I would be rotating kids through to see how they go - Dev, Ely, Joyce etc. Cockatoo could have that spot as well.

Matho, Birchall, Answerth, Adams, Robbo, Fullarton etc. as depth.

My 'wishful thinking' best 22, with everyone bar Rayner available, and everyone in good form:

FB: Gardiner, Payne, Starcevich
HB: Ah Chee, Andrews, Rich
C: McCluggage, Neale, Bailey
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Zorko
FF: McCarthy, Daniher, Coleman
R: McInerney, Lyons, J Berry
I: McStay, Lester, Ellis-Yolmen,?

The 22nd spot would be Rayner's, but I would be rotating kids through to see how they go - Dev, Ely, Joyce etc. Cockatoo could have that spot as well.

Matho, Birchall, Answerth, Adams, Robbo, Fullarton etc. as depth.
You had me until I saw CEY in there.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
If E Smith was an emg in Rd 1, then BOG in the reserves, receiving rave reviews from VFL coach Mitch Hahn: “He was fantastic, he got plenty of the footy and was very dangerous in the forward half, kicking thee goals, it was a really strong contribution from Ely,’’. How come he then goes outside the best 26 in Rd 2 and outside the top 30 for Rd 3.

As far as I know he is still in Queensland. Does anyone have any insight. Seems strange.

If E Smith was an emg in Rd 1, then BOG in the reserves, receiving rave reviews from VFL coach Mitch Hahn: “He was fantastic, he got plenty of the footy and was very dangerous in the forward half, kicking thee goals, it was a really strong contribution from Ely,’’. How come he then goes outside the best 26 in Rd 2 and outside the top 30 for Rd 3.

As far as I know he is still in Queensland. Does anyone have any insight. Seems strange.

Maybe one theory I can think of that he might not be getting selected in the Best 22 is it could be due to the fact that he doesn't get along with many of the Best 22 players on-field/off-field at the club and maybe has a very quiet personality/character compared to other draftees at the club, which could have an impact on his and the team's performance and culture.

It seems like a very silly rumour and also should be noted there is nothing wrong with having a quiet personality at all, but I just watch the Team Photo video from a couple of months ago with Rayner mic'd up for example, and he was with Ely and a bunch of best 22 players (Robinson, Cameron, Bailey, Lyons) and Ely didn't seem like he was confident in joining the conversation at all with that group.

Don't get me wrong, 2 minutes doesn't show a true reflection of a person's personality at all, but from past interviews with the club as well, he seemed like a very stubbon/shy person on the camera compared other draftees that were videoed at the club as well. I look at Robertson as an example and he seems like the sort of person who wants to improve at his craft and learn from the best at the club every day (Neale). But also doesn't complain if he isn't picked in the Best 22 and continues to push himself to further improve himself and also has also got such an positive/amazing attitude on-field/off-field in wanting to join the club at draft night.

I feel like IMO that the selection committee might be choosing players in the current Best 22 (Robertson/Prior/Sharp) that can further improve the Best 22 in the long run of things when Birchall/Zorko/Lyons/Rich/Robinson all retire more so over short-term performances in the reserves (E.Smith/Mathieson) and maybe it's just that Ely isn't in the club's plans for Best 22 material in the long-term.

The short story is really, the club clearly values Deven Robertson/Harry Sharp a lot highly as a player on-field/off-field compared to someone like Ely Smith in the long run and this is evident at the selection table this year. Don't be overall shocked if we see Ely leave the club this upcoming/next year's trade period for greater opportunities as such from other Victorian clubs.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

That looks like Ely on the left of the 3rd photo. You guys would know better, but it would appear he's arrived in Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That looks like Ely on the left of the 3rd photo. You guys would know better, but it would appear he's arrived in Victoria.

We must have flown over more players as a result of our extended stay in Victoria. I don't expect any of those players being selected in the Best 22 though against the Doggies and just used as spare depth in case of injury in the squad.

Would be interesting to know who still is in QLD currently then?

Cockatoo
A.Smith
B.Smith
H.Smith
Michael
Joyce
B.Coleman
McFayden
Uosis
McStay??

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Maybe one theory I can think of that he might not be getting selected in the Best 22 is it could be due to the fact that he doesn't get along with many of the Best 22 players on-field/off-field at the club and maybe has a very quiet personality/character compared to other draftees at the club, which could have an impact on his and the team's performance and culture.

It seems like a very silly rumour and also should be noted there is nothing wrong with having a quiet personality at all, but I just watch the Team Photo video from a couple of months ago with Rayner mic'd up for example, and he was with Ely and a bunch of best 22 players (Robinson, Cameron, Bailey, Lyons) and Ely didn't seem like he was confident in joining the conversation at all with that group.

Don't get me wrong, 2 minutes doesn't show a true reflection of a person's personality at all, but from past interviews with the club as well, he seemed like a very stubbon/shy person on the camera compared other draftees that were videoed at the club as well. I look at Robertson as an example and he seems like the sort of person who wants to improve at his craft and learn from the best at the club every day (Neale). But also doesn't complain if he isn't picked in the Best 22 and continues to push himself to further improve himself and also has also got such an positive/amazing attitude on-field/off-field in wanting to join the club at draft night.

I feel like IMO that the selection committee might be choosing players in the current Best 22 (Robertson/Prior/Sharp) that can further improve the Best 22 in the long run of things when Birchall/Zorko/Lyons/Rich/Robinson all retire more so over short-term performances in the reserves (E.Smith/Mathieson) and maybe it's just that Ely isn't in the club's plans for Best 22 material in the long-term.

The short story is really, the club clearly values Deven Robertson/Harry Sharp a lot highly as a player on-field/off-field compared to someone like Ely Smith in the long run and this is evident at the selection table this year. Don't be overall shocked if we see Ely leave the club this upcoming/next year's trade period for greater opportunities as such from other Victorian clubs.

Thanks for taking the time. Club dynamics are something I'd love to have more knowledge on but they keep things very well guarded.

Thanks for taking the time. Club dynamics are something I'd love to have more knowledge on but they keep things very well guarded.

No worries mate.

To be honest though, I have no clue why he hasn't been selected in the Best 22 and he could well be one of the popular favourites at the club and I could be the one to look like an idiot here. But I just read between the lines and don't hear much from any of the players in the Best 22 express their praise over Ely's improvement and effort to be honest.

Only the club 100% knows about why Ely's omission in the Best 22 week in/week out, and not a complete numb-nut like me ;)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

He only played half a game in the VFL as he was the second emergency for the senior team in round 1. Without knowing why he wasn't selected in round 2, part of it could be the fact that he didn't get a full game in the reserves and they wanted to give him a full practice match (which didn't end up happening due to Brisbane lockdown).

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Hey guys, just a quick fantasy question here.

What's Robertson's 'job security' like? Is he expected to play this round, and how many games would you think he plays this year?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, just a quick fantasy question here.

What's Robertson's 'job security' like? Is he expected to play this round, and how many games would you think he plays this year?

Thanks in advance.
His job security is linked to Neale's and Berry's health. If Neale does not come up for this weekend's game Robertson stays. If Barry returns Robertson makes way.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
A little bit of dash off the half back line seems to be a need watching today's game against the Dogs. Who is an option there besides AhChee and Sharp?

Prior? Madden? Maybe Coleman back there?

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A little bit of dash off the half back line seems to be a need watching today's game against the Dogs. Who is an option there besides AhChee and Sharp?

Prior? Madden? Maybe Coleman back there?
Ah Chee was recruited to be the runner from hb but he hasn't become that. Usually it is Answerth and Madden. I think Coleman was planning to play there

Back