Preview 2021 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No way Fyfe would have mentioned defenders not filling in up forward if they hadn't already looked at it in house and decided against it. Then JLo comes out an mentions treacy and baptism of fire.

Who I think will now play (until it needs to be readjusted tomorrow after the next injury report):

B: Hamling Pearce Ryan
HB: Young Cox Wilson
C: Aish Cerra Acres
HF: Mundy Tabs Fyfe
F: Shultz Treacy Henry

R: Meek Brayshaw Serong

B: Hughes Conca Colyer Tucker

E: Swit Blakely Watson

I just want to give my opinion on something quickly - after the rule changes that were implemented, our pre-season and then observing the state of the game so far - I believe both Frederick & Crowden are definitely Best 22 and we really missed them last week. Their omission isn't really an excuse for the garbage from last week, but I see both being critical for us in the future so I hope we can keep developing them.

I just want to give my opinion on something quickly - after the rule changes that were implemented, our pre-season and then observing the state of the game so far - I believe both Frederick & Crowden are definitely Best 22 and we really missed them last week. Their omission isn't really an excuse for the garbage from last week, but I see both being critical for us in the future so I hope we can keep developing them.

Interested in why you think Crowden was missed last week and will be suited by the new rules.

Bloody hard best 22 after that game. Amazing a week in football.....we were lambasting our forward line, and now can't seem to want to drop a small forward. We lose our key backmen and seem to play better....
Can't find a spot for Alex Pearce Shultz or Conca in this team. And giving the full forward spot to a bloke who has yet to play a game. Also think we are better with 2 rucks - supposedly you are not meant to in the modern game but I think we learnt from round 1 that having more tall targets will stop intercept marks from good opposition defenders (Lever, May)

Ryan Hamling Logue.
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Brayshaw Freddy
Walters Tabs Fyfe
Sturt Treacy Switta.

Meek Cerra Serong.

Int: Darcy, Tucker, Hughes, mundy.

Emergency: Pearce, Blakely, Conca

Last edited:
Bloody hard best 22 after that game. Amazing a week in football.....we were lambasting our forward line, and now can't seem to want to drop a small forward. We lose our key backmen and seem to play better....
Can't find a spot for Alex Pearce Shultz or Conca in this team. And giving the full forward spot to a bloke who has yet to play a game. Also think we are better with 2 rucks.

Ryan Hamling Logue.
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Brayshaw Freddy
Walters Tabs Fyfe
Sturt Treacy Switta.

Meek Cerra Serong.

Int: Darcy, Tucker, Hughes, mundy.

Emergency: Pearce, Blakely, Conca
I like this team a lot.
If we were to have a rolling best 22 in terms of taking into account weekly form then Shultz makes the team ahead of Sturt at the moment. Treacy we will ahve to wait and see but I think he will be a great inclusion. If Tucker is to make the team he would have to play wing in my view. We are already giving Cerra and Serong around low ground time with the number of indie mids we have.

I like this team a lot.
If we were to have a rolling best 22 in terms of taking into account weekly form then Shultz makes the team ahead of Sturt at the moment. Treacy we will ahve to wait and see but I think he will be a great inclusion. If Tucker is to make the team he would have to play wing in my view. We are already giving Cerra and Serong around low ground time with the number of indie mids we have.

Lobb is best 10, let alone best 22.

One of our most important players. A one off performance by Darcy (in which he made Lobb’s goal kicking look like 2012/2013 Chris Mayne) doesn’t change the fact he’s a better forward.

Pearce over Hamling for mine, and I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves with Meek, Darcy still comfortably the better player for mine. Schultz has earned best 22 status at this stage and I'd want two of him Crowden and Switta in the team as pressure forwards.

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Baeshaw Frederick
Walters Tabs Schultz
Sturt Treacy Switta

Darcy Cerra Fyfe

Serong Lobb Hughes Mundy

EMG: Tucker, Crowden, Conca, Chappy

Massive start to Treacy's career coming up. I'm not sure if we should have him best 22 but if he can provide something then it gives us a lot of flexbility. I would like to even try Lobb on the wing for 5 minutes a quarter. His best asset is the get out contested mark down the line.

Sounds ridiculous but I reckon Sturt is pretty close to Fyfe as a forward already, that's how much I rate him, he could actually force Fyfe back into the middle (unlucky us) because on balance, I dont think all of Tabs, Sturt, Treacy and Fyfe works

I cant imagine what it must feel like for those teams that have had no injuries the last few years...

Pearce over Hamling for mine, and I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves with Meek, Darcy still comfortably the better player for mine. Schultz has earned best 22 status at this stage and I'd want two of him Crowden and Switta in the team as pressure forwards.

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Baeshaw Frederick
Walters Tabs Schultz
Sturt Treacy Switta

Darcy Cerra Fyfe

Serong Lobb Hughes Mundy

EMG: Tucker, Crowden, Conca, Chappy

Massive start to Treacy's career coming up. I'm not sure if we should have him best 22 but if he can provide something then it gives us a lot of flexbility. I would like to even try Lobb on the wing for 5 minutes a quarter. His best asset is the get out contested mark down the line.

Sounds ridiculous but I reckon Sturt is pretty close to Fyfe as a forward already, that's how much I rate him, he could actually force Fyfe back into the middle (unlucky us) because on balance, I dont think all of Tabs, Sturt, Treacy and Fyfe works

I cant imagine what it must feel like for those teams that have had no injuries the last few years...

Having no injuries would cause a massive headache. In reality though Conca and Tucker will play every game they’re available because we’ll always have one or two injuries.

A normal injury list is probably around 5-7, especially at this point of the season. If we can sustain or better when contending and get some KPF depth, injuries won’t be hurting us like they normally do.

I think this is the backline that we need to be working towards ASAP.

Ryan Cox Logue
Young Chapman Wilson

Forget Hamling and Pearce, they can’t be relied upon and should be considered depth going into season 2022 if they’re still at the club. The above line up has enough balance of heigh, strength, versatility, mobility but most importantly foot skill.

At least we have one area of the ground that’s set for the future. The midfield and forwardline have massive holes at this stage.

I think this is the backline that we need to be working towards ASAP.

Ryan Cox Logue
Young Chapman Wilson

Forget Hamling and Pearce, they can’t be relied upon and should be considered depth going into season 2022 if they’re still at the club. The above line up has enough balance of heigh, strength, versatility, mobility but most importantly foot skill.

At least we have one area of the ground that’s set for the future. The midfield and forwardline have massive holes at this stage.

Yep that is my best 22 6 man defence too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That worry with that backline is the number of athletic, 200cm KPFs getting around. Griff does have an epic leap but we really need a 200cm KPD (get your **** sorted AP).
The thing the match committee have to be willing to do us to play Alex Pearce against selected opponents.
Tom Hawkins
Charlie Dixon
Buddy Franklin
Tom Lynch

Etc etc.
We don’t need him in games like today and so would be better off with Logue/Cox/Ryan against the lesser sized KPF.
Might be a bit unconventional but it’s about what’s best for the team always

Absolutely best 22 assuming actually fit

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Fyfe Tucker
Walters Lobb Freddy
Switta Tabs Sturt

Darcy Baeshaw Cerra

Conca Mundy Serong Schultz

EMG: Chapman (if he keeps going he could play ahead of Young / Logue), Treacy, Crowden, Hamling

Some tough calls and I’d be happy for any of those emergencies to squeeze in there

Last edited:

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Fyfe Acres
Walters Lobb Freddy
Switta Tabs Sturt

Darcy Baeshaw Cerra

EMG: Chapman (if he keeps going he could play ahead of Young / Logue), Treacy, Crowden, Hamling

Some tough calls and I’d be happy for any of those emergencies to squeeze in there
tucker stiff, i'd rather him on a wing then acres

FB: Ryan Pearce Logue
HB: Young Cox Aish
C: Brayshaw Mundy Chapman
HF: Sturt Lobb Frederick
FF: Walters Tabs Switkowski

R: Darcy Fyfe Serong

I: Cerra Tucker Treacy Wilson

E: Conca Acres Hamling Schultz

Notes:

- Chapman ran a 21.6 yo yo and 6:30 2km. His ball use is great and he is defensively minded. Noted for his intercept marking but a bit slight for a true KPD. I believe he'd make an excellent winger. Certainly better than most on our list. Rotates with Aish.

- Brayshaw is the hardest two way runner on our list. Field kicking not as big a problem any more. Intention is to rotate through the middle frequently with Tucker covering his wing.

- I believe Aish is a better small defender than both Conca and Wilson and he has the benefit of knowing J Lo's defensive method from Collingwood. He is a good but not great winger, I think we can improve on him and still get a lot from him down back. Rotates with Chapman and Wilson.

- Pearce to handle the >200cm forwards. Given injury history, Logue would likely play full back and Wilson goes to that pocket.

- Treacy allows Lobb and Walters to rotate into the middle.

- Midfield rotation: Fyfe, Mundy, Serong, Cerra, Brayshaw, Tucker and Walters.

Isn't Hamling a more realistic option to take the gorillas this year ?
Thought AP injury was long term ?

Ah yes , is good.

Best 22 thread
I've been hopping around too much on other threads

Ryan Pearce Logue
Wilson Cox Young
Aish Fyfe Tucker
Walters Lobb Freddy
Switta Tabs Sturt

Darcy Baeshaw Cerra

I expect more from you Snuff.

Given Pearce's injury history, I reckon we should drop Treacy back to Peel for a while and develop him into a key back to handle those gorilla forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back