Preview 2021 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Young move into the midfield in the future at any point?
Walker is emerging and we have Chappy also as a high quality HBF. Not to mention Hughes and Duman and probably a couple of others like NOD developing
If say Cerra were to leave, for example, could Young potentially replace his role within the team?
You got it backwards, Walker more likely to make it on the wing that Young. I would guess that Walker will end up moving to wing and Young to half back, he doesn't have the speed/endurance required IMO.

I'd put chappy in the midfield over Young

Stick them both on a wing.

Cerra Darcy Brayshaw
Chapman Serong Young

You can set that and forget

Pearce Cox Ryan
Hughes Walker Logue

And set that and forget as well

*** would you rather Acres delivering the ball or young and Chappy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stick them both on a wing.

Cerra Darcy Brayshaw
Chapman Serong Young

You can set that and forget

Pearce Cox Ryan
Hughes Walker Logue

And set that and forget as well

*** would you rather Acres delivering the ball or young and Chappy

So the plan is to play two non wingers on the wings? And we have a coach who has indicated he doesn't believe in doing that.

So the plan is to play two non wingers on the wings? And we have a coach who has indicated he doesn't believe in doing that.

Yes as both have played wing as juniors. Even the Freo website lists Chapman as a potential wingman.

Traits of a good wingman:
Two way running
Elite endurance
Elite pace
Elite kick
Be able to find the footy

Both have that down in spades. Probably one of the easiest roles on the ground to learn if you have the tank.

Frederick has all the attributes to be elite on the wing too.
Young is a good defender & elite intercept mark. He stays at that end I think.
NO’D is considered a wing also & could potentially be a Langdon type - hard, tough & strong defensively but a ball magnet the other way.
Lots of permutations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes as both have played wing as juniors. Even the Freo website lists Chapman as a potential wingman.

Traits of a good wingman:
Two way running
Elite endurance
Elite pace
Elite kick
Be able to find the footy

Both have that down in spades. Probably one of the easiest roles on the ground to learn if you have the tank.

Yeah Young doesn't have elite pace, not even close. He has elite agility which is much more suited to the backline or midfield.

Frederick has all the attributes to be elite on the wing too.
Young is a good defender & elite intercept mark. He stays at that end I think.
NO’D is considered a wing also & could potentially be a Langdon type - hard, tough & strong defensively but a ball magnet the other way.
Lots of permutations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I see as the likely development paths too, once they can run all day.

I can see Walker in line for Aish or Wilson's job in time.

Chapman is less clear if we are uninjured. I think he finds a place, but not sure where. We badly need a medium forward with defensive pressure. No idea if he would be capable, and it doesn't seem to be Longmuir's style of thinking. And with Taberner and Lobb, Treacy's style of play sort of fills this role.

This is what I see as the likely development paths too, once they can run all day.

I can see Walker in line for Aish or Wilson's job in time.

Chapman is less clear if we are uninjured. I think he finds a place, but not sure where. We badly need a medium forward with defensive pressure. No idea if he would be capable, and it doesn't seem to be Longmuir's style of thinking. And with Taberner and Lobb, Treacy's style of play sort of fills this role.
Pretty sure Sturt's name is on that if he can get on the park. Chapman may well play as a tall mid?

Pretty sure Sturt's name is on that if he can get on the park. Chapman may well play as a tall mid?
Chapman will need another year of development but I can see him replacing Mundy in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been for two years now. Young and Hamling and Hughes have their names on the backline position he got a shot at.

I am looking forward to what they do with Chapman. Terrific talent with what I see as transferable but untested skills, playing a role that we have strong competition for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back