theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If our defenders lined up on our forwards it’d be a slaughterhouse. Our current fix seems to mean weakening our midfield by moving Fyfe more forward and giving Walters less midfield time. I think that can work provided our midfield continues it’s impressive development, but surely we can get more value from the excess of talented players we have in defence.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
This new standing on the mark rule will be a sh*t show if they actually stick to it. Teams with afl level skills playing auskick. They'll score 300
I'm a fan of it. It's a tweak, which I think has lots of potential for encouraging free-flowing footy and it enhances a key element of the game. Change might take some getting used to, but all rules were new once.

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm a fan of it. It's a tweak, which I think has lots of potential for encouraging free-flowing footy and it enhances a key element of the game. Change might take some getting used to, but all rules were new once.

I think it favours us, the Eagles, Collingwood and especially Geelong. It disadvantages hard running, general play teams like Brisbane and Richmond. The rule change a bit of a head scratcher as Brisbane and Richmond are entertaining teams to watch, their prelim was one of the games of the season. A lot more teams are going to be playing keepy-offs in the backline and switch ad nauseam until there is an open player free to pull the trigger on. Peak Hawks would have dined out on this rule change.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
This new standing on the mark rule will be a sh*t show if they actually stick to it. Teams with afl level skills playing auskick. They'll score 300

What is this new rule?

meesy

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
The lowering interchange rule though concerns me a bit as we have quite a number of injury prone players + young players who we don't know can run out a game. Will Sean Darcy last a whole season? Will he be playing well late in the fourth quarter, now that the length of the game has gone back up?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The lowering interchange rule though concerns me a bit as we have quite a number of injury prone players + young players who we don't know can run out a game. Will Sean Darcy last a whole season? Will he be playing well late in the fourth quarter, now that the length of the game has gone back up?
That is definitely a concern, but the reality is that if we don’t think he can run out games or last the season then our list management is at fault. He is our only realistic ruck option. We will get a look at Meek, but low expectations for this season.

Last edited:

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

It'll be interesting to see what effect having a new S & C system has on our players (if any).

vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I think it favours us, the Eagles, Collingwood and especially Geelong. It disadvantages hard running, general play teams like Brisbane and Richmond. The rule change a bit of a head scratcher as Brisbane and Richmond are entertaining teams to watch, their prelim was one of the games of the season. A lot more teams are going to be playing keepy-offs in the backline and switch ad nauseam until there is an open player free to pull the trigger on. Peak Hawks would have dined out on this rule change.
One thing I do wonder is if rule changes like this one could result in less variation in tactics developed by coaches.
If the running game is disadvantaged by a rule change, will that translate into teams abandoning that and adopting a predominantly kicking game plan instead, thus reducing that variation in how we see the game being played?

On RMX2001 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You still need to run with a kicking game unless you're playing a contested marking style.

I'm expecting coaches to crowd the contests just the same and instruct their ruckmen to nominate as late as possible for the contest since the umpire is looking for them and killing time so the midfield can get to the stoppage.

I expect the game will be an on/off switch of contest and control. Take the mark, switch the play, take the time to breathe and slow the game down - then if you can't move the ball forward you kick long and the stoppage is flooded, heavy negative. Keep trying to break out of the stoppage but if it gets exhausting you move the ball out the back and shift to control mode again.

Then whichever team can risk the energy to pressure a turnover with the field spread as the opposition is trying to control and slow it down then and scores the most from those wins the game.

Pretty much the same as always. Contested marking talls more valuable. Pressure smalls that can run all day also more valuable. Teams that are even at the contest will stay in the game. Elite kicking half backs to generate scores from defensive fifty will be worth their weight in gold.

I said it a while ago but Hayden Young is our most important player this season.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
Ryan Hamling Cox
Logue Pearce Chapman
Young Cerra Brayshaw
Walters Treacy Mundy
Henry Taberner Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Tucker Aish Lobb Acres

I know the backline is tall. Fight me :cool:

Acres starts on the wing, Young on half back and Chapman in the bench. Sturt isn’t going to be ready for R1, so I’d put Switta in his position - but that’s a pretty strong 22.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Cox
Logue Pearce Chapman
Young Cerra Brayshaw
Walters Treacy Mundy
Henry Taberner Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Tucker Aish Lobb Acres

I know the backline is tall. Fight me :cool:
So if there was a rolling best 22 that takes ingto account preseason form and also past performances in regard to Round 1. Then Id have Treacy and Meek in the team after today and wait ofr Sean Darcy to have a few weeks to prove he is better than Meek.
Round 1 forward line at the moment.
HF Henry Tabs Frederick
FF: Lobb Treacy Walters

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m going to leave out some big names but here goes:

Ryan Cox Conca
Wilson Pearce Young
Acres Brayshaw Aish
Henry Taberner Walters
Schultz Lobb Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Cerra

Hughes Serong Mundy Tucker.

I prefer a smaller backline with two key defenders and Ryan. Conca won’t have a role every week but is a good shutdown player. It’s crazy I’m leaving out Logue and Hamling but it is what it is. Duman, Watson and Chapman also look very capable. Hill also an option.

Meek looked capable today - I certainly think he looks better than most rucks not playing regularly. We haven’t seen Valente yet so hopefully this is the year. Frederick stiff to miss this team and will come into consideration for a number of roles in the side once we get an injury or two. There’s worse players than Bewley and Giro that’ll get games this year too.

I’ve really liked Switta in the past but injuries have meant Schultz has gone past him. Injuries probably mean Crowden or Banfield starts ahead of Sturt in round one. Treacy looks more than capable if we need another tall. Colyer isn’t the worst option either.

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
All the backline have played key position.

A small forward like a Cameron could do damage but that's not new.

Logue did a great shutdown on Cameron last year after he’d given Hughes a bath in the first half. Logue is the size of a key back but has the pace and mobility to go with a small forward. Cox and Ryan are also both very mobile for taller forwards and people have said Chapman could eventually shift to midfield. So it’s tall, but it’s not slow and lumbering.

Plus Ryan, Cox, Young and Chapman are all good interceptors so we will cut off a lot of forward entries.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I’m going to leave out some big names but here goes:

Ryan Cox Conca
Wilson Pearce Young
Acres Brayshaw Aish
Henry Taberner Walters
Schultz Lobb Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Cerra

Hughes Serong Mundy Tucker.

I prefer a smaller backline with two key defenders and Ryan. Conca won’t have a role every week but is a good shutdown player. It’s crazy I’m leaving out Logue and Hamling but it is what it is. Duman, Watson and Chapman also look very capable. Hill also an option.

Meek looked capable today - I certainly think he looks better than most rucks not playing regularly. We haven’t seen Valente yet so hopefully this is the year. Frederick stiff to miss this team and will come into consideration for a number of roles in the side once we get an injury or two. There’s worse players than Bewley and Giro that’ll get games this year too.

I’ve really liked Switta in the past but injuries have meant Schultz has gone past him. Injuries probably mean Crowden or Banfield starts ahead of Sturt in round one. Treacy looks more than capable if we need another tall. Colyer isn’t the worst option either.
In the end I think Hamling is the only controversial non selection, but given that the six ‘other’ defenders you name would also make a pretty reasonable defense, it is inevitable someone decent misses.

Duman Hamling Watson
Chapman Logue Hill

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally would have Hamling in ahead of Pearce for R1. Hamling speed is excellent for a big man. Melbourne have a KPF injury crisis too so there won’t be any brutes to handle. Probably end up playing both anyway. If the likes of Charlie Dixon or Tom Lynch were on the park then I’d be playing Alex Pearce for sure. It’s a shame Logue is injured as I believe a lot of people including many freo fans are sleeping on just how good he is.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
With the way meek played in the scratch match. He shows he has way more versatility than darcy and is the perfect combo with lobb because of it. If we see a repeat at optus he has to come into round one best 22 calculations. Darcy injuries could get the best of him and meek becomes the number one guy.

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the way meek played in the scratch match. He shows he has way more versatility than darcy and is the perfect combo with lobb because of it. If we see a repeat at optus he has to come into round one best 22 calculations. Darcy injuries could get the best of him and meek becomes the number one guy.

More versatility in which way?

I agree Darcy shouldn’t play R1 if he is injured or underdone, but I think the club see him as clearly better than Meek, and it’s definitely a role you can directly compare them at training quite easily.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle

I agree Darcy shouldn’t play R1 if he is injured or underdone, but I think the club see him as clearly better than Meek, and it’s definitely a role you can directly compare them at training quite easily.

Darcy doesnt look able to get around the ground and be able to compete with mobile ruckman. He needs to be able to take a strong grab and has shown he fumbles marks he should take with his size .From what i saw of meek in the scratch match he showed he was more versitile by getting to more contests around the ground and used his frame and size to take the ball out of the ruck and get it to the mids by hands etc. That could come to a fitness thing because i have never seen darcy run out a match. The guy Darcy has talent but i believe he is needs to loose some kgs to help his provent the injuries he is getting and a bigger tank to run out a game or meek takes over his spot permanently

Back