GWS
Kennedy Davis Haynes
Ash Taylor Whitfield
Perryman Ward Kelly
Greene Hogan daniels
Hill Riccardi HH
Preuss Hopper Taranto

Cumming Coniglio Briggs Buckley
I'd opine that this line up is too tall.

I'm an unabashed fan of Heath Chapman, and hope we select him to play as third tall - he will provide a mix of run and pinpoint passing out of D50. (Perhaps not from round 1, but by mid year.) Hopefully pick some speed too, with potential for a wing spot.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A lot of hope for the team in 2021 will be on the form of the top 5 players (Cogs, Kelly, Whitfield, Taranto and Greene) and then a injury free run and I see issues if Taylor or Davis go down unless HH is moved down back and does a good job and also a lot will be on Hogan likely taking the best defender I do hope he has a good pre season
I dont think my best 22 has changed at all but I can see the club picking up 1 or 2 delisted players as depth as i am sure several decent players will be off loaded by teams with the changes to list sizes and salary cap

Rusca96

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably. Not sure what capacity.
Appears the Suns may be cooling on Jacob Townsend, maybe worth you guys picking him up late in the draft , apparently he was quite popular at the Giants

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Do people think Finlayson will be best 22 this year?
No.
Appears the Suns may be cooling on Jacob Townsend, maybe worth you guys picking him up late in the draft , apparently he was quite popular at the Giants
Unfortunately, no. Yes he was popular, but he's not worth a spot IMHO.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
FB: Haynes, Davis, Ash
HB: Whitfield, Taylor, Perryman
C: O'Halloran, Taranto, Kelly
HF: Greene, Hogan , Daniels
FF: Hill, Riccardi, Himmelberg
Foll: Preuss, Hopper, Green
IN/T: Finlayson , Ward, Coniglio, Cumming

EMG: Flynn, Bruhn, Lloyd, Idun

Hoping Bruhn gets given early opportunity if warranted as well, need some high impact disposal in our midfield outside of Kelly, especially if Whitfield is playing backline

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I dont see any if the draftees making it into the best 22 this year and some not even 2022 as they seem to be very undeveloped compared to previous years but it will give opportunities to those already on the list

My 22

Cumming Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Perryman Coniglio Kelly
Greene Riccardi MDB
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Taranto Hopper
Ward HH Kennedy TOJ

The last 2 spots up for grabs and also depending on form and match ups, I think a uncertainty is if HH is swung back to play as a FT defender. I think more likely that TOJ (Now the only Jezza) stays forward as his kicking for goal and also field kicking i think is better

Reserves

Interesting I saw the Carlton reserves signed a few ex AFL players so hoping the club can afford to get at least 2 mature bodies outside the list as reserves players to improve the depth when players miss
The defence looks well stocked and I can see space for a small forward role and also a mid/forward. Reid to reprise his role from 2016 and captain the reserves
Green and O'Halloran to see plenty of time in the AFL as I can see Kennedy, Lloyd and MDB playing reserves during the year
Not sure if i missed anyone but how many on the list for 2021? Edit: Missed Callum Brown and I can see many players swung between back and forward to learn and also see where they best fit in the future also edited in Hogan for Lloyd

Buntine Keefe Idun
Buckley Stein Stone
Wehr Reid Shipley
Lloyd Sproule Bruhn
Hutchesson Briggs Brown
Flynn O'Halloran Green

Fleeton Angwin Shaw Mumford

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes, Davis, Ash
Whitfield, Taylor, Cumming
Perryman, Cogs, Kelly
Greene, Hogan, Himmelberg
Hill, Riccardi, Daniels
Preuss, Green, Taranto

Hopper, Buckley, DeBoer, XOH/Finlayson depending on opposition.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes, Davis, Ash
Perryman, Cogs, Kelly
Hill, Riccardi, Daniels
Preuss, Green, Taranto

Nice looking team, although I’m unconvinced about 3 tall forwards and the continual opposition ricocheting end to end untouched.

I’d like to see Toby playing mainly as a mid, Perryman forward with Daniels pushing up to a wing.
When Toby is on in the forward line he’s brilliant, but it’s too inconsistent. He’s a top 5 midfielder and a mid-table team like the Giants can’t afford the luxury of him cruising around the forward 50 playing the odd great game and bringing bugger all leadership and defensive pressure. Then again, StevieJ might straighten him up and make my comment seem foolish. Here’s hoping.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I dont see any if the draftees making it into the best 22 this year and some not even 2022 as they seem to be very undeveloped compared to previous years

well, to be fair, they’ve all essentially lost a year (a usually very important developmental year) to the plague - so i’m not really all that surprised they might seem a bit undeveloped.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, so, probably the most question marks over a team in the off season for us.

We really didn't fill the spots of all the guys we lost at the end of the season via trade/draft, so some shuffling of players around and opportunities are there.

For mine, Whitfield must move into the backline to play Heater's 'backline general' role. Ash is a must to provide rebound, and I presume the other rebounding spot would be either Cumming or Adam Kennedy.

With Corr departing, presuming everyone starts healthy, Davis/Taylor/Haynes fill 3 of the remaining positions.

But the question mark is - who is the final defender? We know that Leon loves the 4 tall set-up, so will they try out Keeffe as the '1-on-1' defender with Davis & Taylor the more mobile guys, Stein or Buckley to replicate the Corr role, Idun the same but slightly shorter ... that would be where Cam Fleeton might get an opportunity, but you'd think it would be too early for him to be first-grade ready at the start of the season. Of course, we could just swap either Himmelberg or Finlayson down back into that third tall role.

The other option is to change our approach and go for a smaller defender. Perryman an option for a closer defensive option. Cal Ward is one some supporters have talked about. What about Matt Buntine - he's probably closest in actual style to Heater on anyone left on our list. There will be howls of protest if it's Sam Reid! Perhaps O'Halloran might get an opportunity there? If it's Perryman, the XOH might get a wing opportunity. I wonder how Callum Brown is tracking?

That also links into the forward set-up - if one of the talls goes back, it reduces the crush for spots up front. You'd think we'd have to persist with Jake Ricciardi forward to keep his development going; provided he goes OK in preseason then Jesse Hogan too. SO then HH/ToJ for the third tall position, unless we shake things around by going for a second ruck, or even go shorter (which again, I think is unlikely as Leon likes his taller forward set-up).

I agree that we need to run Toby & Brent through the midfield more often to make best use of their competitive natures. With everyone healthy, the midfield remains pretty stacked, but on last year's showing Tom Green needs to be given consistent opportunity. I'd like to see Matt de Boer (unfortunately) spend more time in reserves and allow younger kids opportunity. I suspect a forlorn hope.

Cumming Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Ash
O'Halloran Coniglio Kelly
Greene Riccardi Perryman
Hill Hogan Daniels
Preuss Green Taranto
Himmelberg Hopper Ward Finlayson

Then the seconds team would be:

Wehr Keeffe Idun
Buntine Stein Kennedy
Stone Hutchesson Shipley
Lloyd Sproule -
Briggs Buckley Brown
Flynn de Boer Bruhn
Fleeton Reid Angwin Shaw + Mumford

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes, Davis, Ash
Perryman, Cogs, Kelly
Hill, Riccardi, Daniels
Preuss, Green, Taranto

Just realised I forgot Ward. Slot him in for DeBoer.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Of this years draftees I think Bruhn will play a similar number of games to green last year... maybe 7-10 in his first year. We rate the kid and there are opportunities this year. An added bonus is his forward craft so that would increase chances of getting a run I assume

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Someone mentioned Corr leaving potentially makes an opportunity for Stein which does make some sense.

Surprised at all the O'Halloran love. Other than some nice pace I thought he showed very little in his senior appearances in 2020. Not that that's unusual at this stage but I couldn't have him as a best 22 option at this stage.

Someone mentioned Corr leaving potentially makes an opportunity for Stein which does make some sense.

Surprised at all the O'Halloran love. Other than some nice pace I thought he showed very little in his senior appearances in 2020. Not that that's unusual at this stage but I couldn't have him as a best 22 option at this stage.
I thought O'Halloran was very good in one game and very quiet in the other.
Stein was good in his game in 2019.
We need someone to stand up down back. Whether that means moving someone back, possibly Himmelberg, or one of Idun or Stein standing up.
If Hogan is shaping up, I like Himmelberg down back.
Interesting to see who takes the Shaw role, wonder if we go with Whitfield there?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of commentators have written you guys off this year but personally I think there is every chance of a major bounce back. The talent is still there across the ground and if Cameron can get the best out of the team they are as good as anyone.

A few different things I would like to see from the Giants next year:

- I would love to see Hill knuckle down in the preseason and make a big play for midfield time. He was an enormously talented mid as a junior and if he can bet some time through the middle he would provide you with a point of difference you are missing at the moment.
- I tend to agree that it is a bit difficult to see most of the draftees getting much of a look in this year. The one exception imo is Wehr who seems like he could be a like for like replacement for Shaw if things work out. Mature ager with really nice skill coming out of the backline could be just what you need.
- I would like to see you go a bit less tall next year and rely more on skill and run. For that reason I would go with two talls at either end and play Himmelberg as a swing man on the bench. He is decent at both ends.
- I see a few leaving out Green from the 22. I don't understand that personally. The kid showed some great glimpses last year and could end up being a monster through the middle. I understand that he is a bit athletically same same but you have to get games into him.
- Ward has been a great servant but his body is shot. Play him in the reserves to be a player coach of the next generation.
- I am a bit less sure where Davis sits but personally I thought Keefe offered a bit this year and I would probably give him first crack.
- I would like to see Riccardi given license to get up the ground. With Cameron gone and Hogan better suited leading from the square I would encourage to stretch his legs. I really like his mobility and in a quick transition game I think he could be a weapon.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
A lot of commentators have written you guys off this year but personally I think there is every chance of a major bounce back. The talent is still there across the ground and if Cameron can get the best out of the team they are as good as anyone.

- I would love to see Hill knuckle down in the preseason and make a big play for midfield time. He was an enormously talented mid as a junior and if he can bet some time through the middle he would provide you with a point of difference you are missing at the moment.
- I tend to agree that it is a bit difficult to see most of the draftees getting much of a look in this year. The one exception imo is Wehr who seems like he could be a like for like replacement for Shaw if things work out. Mature ager with really nice skill coming out of the backline could be just what you need.
- I would like to see you go a bit less tall next year and rely more on skill and run. For that reason I would go with two talls at either end and play Himmelberg as a swing man on the bench. He is decent at both ends.
- I see a few leaving out Green from the 22. I don't understand that personally. The kid showed some great glimpses last year and could end up being a monster through the middle. I understand that he is a bit athletically same same but you have to get games into him.
- Ward has been a great servant but his body is shot. Play him in the reserves to be a player coach of the next generation.
- I am a bit less sure where Davis sits but personally I thought Keefe offered a bit this year and I would probably give him first crack.
- I would like to see Riccardi given license to get up the ground. With Cameron gone and Hogan better suited leading from the square I would encourage to stretch his legs. I really like his mobility and in a quick transition game I think he could be a weapon.
Is there any word on how well Hogan is training. Does he realise he just has to be more mature off field.

Agree with most of this the exception being Ward.
Think his body is in better shape than advertised. ACL injury is generally a recovery year. A finger injury is just bad luck.
No soft tissue injuries or anything. Time will tell, but I think he'll be a solid contributer.
Green is a must pick for.me.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, I agree with much of what Quigley has offered - just Cal Ward we need to see how he goes this pre-season to see where he sits. But we so often have injuries to our inside mids that even sitting in reserves may just mean a call up part way into the season.

I do believe that we need to select better balanced sides ... sometimes squeezing Leon's perceived ''best 22'' hasn't worked in prosecuting the gameplan.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Perryman, Davis, Ash
Haynes, Taylor, Whitfield
Cogs, Taranto, DeBoer
Greene, Finlayson, Hill
Harry, Hogan, Daniels
Preuss, Green, Kelly

Ward, Hopper, Riccardi, Cumming/Wehr

Preuss's endurance has always been a question mark so a back up ruck is req'd, Finlayson is our best option for 5 mins a qtr. I'd like to see the talls rotate off the bench, but Hogan should be the focal point. Perryman back to sure up the defence, he has a mature footy head and we need to give Whitfield and Ash freedom to create, not sure on Cumming's ability to play a team defence role whereas Perryman can. I think Wehr can play rd. 1 if he has a good preseason, his size is a concern, keen to see what he defends like.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Perryman, Davis, Ash
Haynes, Taylor, Whitfield
Cogs, Taranto, DeBoer
Greene, Finlayson, Hill
Harry, Hogan, Daniels
Preuss, Green, Kelly

Ward, Hopper, Riccardi, Cumming/Wehr
Sadly so many of the same type of player here. The list is terribly unbalanced now and from what I can tell Bruhn is more of the same.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Sadly so many of the same type of player here. The list is terribly unbalanced now and from what I can tell Bruhn is more of the same.
I really don't think perryman, cogs, Taranto and De Boer are detrimentally similar

Back