Prediction 2021 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Me either.

3 or the 4 are very damaging forward and will be important in spreading the load without Cameron. Taranto is going to be very similar style to dusty. Extremely strong and hard to tackle.

I’m expecting to see plenty of the outside runners we picked up in the draft to complement all the inside players we have.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
If we decided to play a more dynamic style:

Haynes Davis Cumming
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Kelly Cogs Perryman
Greene Hogan XOH
Hill Riccardi Daniels
Preuss Hopper Taranto

Ward Green Himmelberg Buckley

Last edited:

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If we decided to play a more dynamic style:

Haynes Davis Cumming
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Kelly Cogs Perryman
Greene Hogan XOH
Hill Riccardi Daniels
Preuss Hopper Taranto

Ward Lloyd Himmelberg Buckley
I like it.
HH to backup ruck? Might need to work on his craft.
I don’t see too much dynamic in Lloyd. To me Green offers more and brings the highly skilled guys into the game with creative ball use.
I’m hopeful that 1 or 2 of the draftees will push their way into the best 22 by mid-year.
Regardless of who they pick, let’s hope they play a winning and watchable style in 2021 after 2020 produced neither.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I like it.
HH to backup ruck? Might need to work on his craft.
I don’t see too much dynamic in Lloyd. To me Green offers more and brings the highly skilled guys into the game with creative ball use.
I’m hopeful that 1 or 2 of the draftees will push their way into the best 22 by mid-year.
Regardless of who they pick, let’s hope they play a winning and watchable style in 2021 after 2020 produced neither.
Correct on Green... can’t believe I left him out. Correction made.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Sadly so many of the same type of player here. The list is terribly unbalanced now and from what I can tell Bruhn is more of the same.
I don’t agree with this. I actually think it’s a similar midfield to port or the cats. To me it seems you only recognize blistering pace as not the “same”

We have a good balance of inside bulls(hopper/green), diverse players who can go forward (cogs/Taranto- both of which are great def/tacklers) inside outside good users (kelly/Pez). If we had one more genuine winger to play an outside role i actually think we are set and complete.

that doesn’t include other players who roll through there like (Greene-we need him forward imo, Daniels- as above, ward- injury cursed, who knows where he plays, DeBoer- possibly not best 22)

As it is I reckon most clubs would look at the midfield in the pre-game meetings and say that’s GWS’s best asset, that’s what we need to stop to be able to win.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think he’s a bit small... so unless he plays like Zac Butters, I think he’ll struggle to get more than a couple of games in his first year.
Maybe that size just pushes him to the outside more. If his disposal by foot is good enough it could be a role he can make his own

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
No Aidan Corr?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No Aidan Corr?

Considering he plays for North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Footyologys best 22

BEST 22
B: Sam Taylor, Phil Davis, Nick Haynes
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Lachie Keeffe, Lachie Ash
C: Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper
HF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Brent Daniels
F: Harry Himmelberg, Jeremy Finlayson, Jake Riccardi
R: Braydon Preuss, Tim Taranto, Callan Ward
Inter: Harry Perryman, Matt De Boer, Tom Green, Bobby Hill
Emerg: Shane Mumford, Daniel Lloyd, Adam Kennedy, Sam Reid

Does it worry anyone else that Keeffe is supposedly in the best 22?

Footyologys best 22

BEST 22
B: Sam Taylor, Phil Davis, Nick Haynes
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Lachie Keeffe, Lachie Ash
C: Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper
HF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Brent Daniels
F: Harry Himmelberg, Jeremy Finlayson, Jake Riccardi
R: Braydon Preuss, Tim Taranto, Callan Ward
Inter: Harry Perryman, Matt De Boer, Tom Green, Bobby Hill
Emerg: Shane Mumford, Daniel Lloyd, Adam Kennedy, Sam Reid

Does it worry anyone else that Keeffe is supposedly in the best 22?
That side is way too tall.
Keefe, Davis, Taylor and Haynes all down back, Finlayson, Harry, Riccardi & Hogan up front.
At least 1 of those misses (maybe 2)

I can see why they went Keefe, he was very solid last year, he probably over performed. Does a lot of little things right, spoils well, is hard to beat one on one and He know his limitations and plays to them. He is a classic role player.
Funnily enough the 2 that we lost down back are the 2 I thought had the worse years. Shaw and Corr butchered last year and imo were a big part of the slow ball movement.

Draftables

Rookie
Nov 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and GWS has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and GWS has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Himmelberg will definitely be in our best 22, Finlayson may be the one to go. Harry will be ahead of a number of the talls.

but that is pretty close to the side

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

While I agree we cant play all 4 talls, I think HH probably makes the cut. I like kennedy in the back line as it adds to the rebound with ash as well.

Thats as good a team as we can put on the field I think

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
While I agree we cant play all 4 talls, I think HH probably makes the cut. I like kennedy in the back line as it adds to the rebound with ash as well.

Thats as good a team as we can put on the field I think
Kennedy is not in our best 22 these days. He’s butchered the ball once too often to be mainstay in our backline.

Kennedy is not in our best 22 these days. He’s butchered the ball once too often to be mainstay in our backline.
That is my view also.

i know the stats indicate a reasonable efficiency, but I think alot of short easy passes masks that whenever he tries to do anything more than that it is a turnover.

Tries hard, plenty of effort, but lacks the polish of others.

I think he is probably next in sort of guy and will end up playing plenty of footy but not first choice.

He is in with likes of Reid and Keefe, they give you all they have, but a essentially a little below a lot of others, you need those guys on your squad, unfortunately you cant have a team full of Toby's, Whitfields and Kelly's

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

this comes up every year

Kennedy has a better disposal efficiency than Shaw, Williams, Haynes, Ash, Keefe etc. etc.

he actually doesn’t butcher the ball, and certainly not as much as some of his teammates- he just goes about his business being efficient and not showy or flashy, he just gets the job done.

you’d think after 121 games (8th most on the current list) he’d get just a little bit of love from the fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back