Prediction 2021 best 22

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Whether or not Kennedy is best 22 will likely reflect where the list is at. There’s no question he tries really hard and is dangerously brave. He lacks the poise and finish of the better players.

Good luck to him if he ends up cementing a spot in the team in 2021. I hope if he does, he’s being pushed for his spot by others like Cumming, Wehr and maybe Ward who I think will struggle for a slot in the mid-field.

As an aside, I hope they’ve considered Coniglio to fill the role Williams left. I think he’d be great in the role and it might be the perfect place to develop his on field leadership.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Whether or not Kennedy is best 22 will likely reflect where the list is at. There’s no question he tries really hard and is dangerously brave. He lacks the poise and finish of the better players.

Good luck to him if he ends up cementing a spot in the team in 2021. I hope if he does, he’s being pushed for his spot by others like Cumming, Wehr and maybe Ward who I think will struggle for a slot in the mid-field.

As an aside, I hope they’ve considered Coniglio to fill the role Williams left. I think he’d be great in the role and it might be the perfect place to develop his on field leadership.
What do you mean by filling Williams role? They are very different players...

I could see a case for Kennedy filling Williams' role, or Ash, but Coniglio leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
this comes up every year

Kennedy has a better disposal efficiency than Shaw, Williams, Haynes, Ash, Keefe etc. etc.

he actually doesn’t butcher the ball, and certainly not as much as some of his teammates- he just goes about his business being efficient and not showy or flashy, he just gets the job done.

you’d think after 121 games (8th most on the current list) he’d get just a little bit of love from the fans.
Don’t make out like he doesn’t get respect off all the Giants supporters.
He’s one of our better defensively accountable players. He’s a great fella and fantastic for team spirit.
But don’t use a single stat to say his disposal efficiency is better than others.
If you really watch our performances you’d know he’s turned it over at some important moments.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Who hasn’t? He is just getting a smaller pay packet for doing it.
Except that in a team whose number 1 problem is moving the ball from the back half. We need guys in there who can do that well. And don’t mistake this for not loving Kenner’s... he’s a ripper. I don’t think he’s the right fit at the moment.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Don’t make out like he doesn’t get respect off all the Giants supporters.

if you were to go back over every single one of these “best 22” threads over the past decade, you would only find Kenners’ name in a handful of posts. every year, best 22 thread after best 22 thread, post after post, he is hardly ever mentioned, hardly ever named, always forgotten.

you bring his name up and yeah, everyone says “oh that’s right, kenners.... love kenners” - and fans do, I don’t know of a single fan who doesn’t love Kenners, but he has never been considered by the majority on this board to be best 22 at any time in the club’s history. And yet, he has managed to keep getting picked by the coaching staff and has proven (apart from 2015 and injury) to be consistently in our 22.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Williams is an attacking and creative half-back who is defensively accountable. Coniglio is an attacking and creative midfielder who is defensively accountable. I think Coniglio would quickly adapt to be a brilliant defender.

Movement off half-back is the biggest opportunity for the team to improve in 2021. Having lost Williams it will be a huge challenge to take that opportunity, but we won’t be top 4 without major improvement in transition from defence. They can plug a hole with Kennedy or compliment and support Whitfield with another gun player in the back half.

if you were to go back over every single one of these “best 22” threads over the past decade, you would only find Kenners’ name in a handful of posts. every year, best 22 thread after best 22 thread, post after post, he is hardly ever mentioned, hardly ever named, always forgotten.

you bring his name up and yeah, everyone says “oh that’s right, kenners.... love kenners” - and fans do, I don’t know of a single fan who doesn’t love Kenners, but he has never been considered by the majority on this board to be best 22 at any time in the club’s history. And yet, he has managed to keep getting picked by the coaching staff and has proven (apart from 2015 and injury) to be consistently in our 22.
Very rarely do we have every body available, so you need more than 22.
In my mind Kennedy has been perennially in the next 3 or 4 which gets you a lot of games.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Read the article about Hogan on the AFL website today.

I reckon I'd go with the below, leaving out Finlayson.

Green Hogan Himmelburg
Daniels Riccardi Hill

How do you guys see the forward line round 1?

Very rarely do we have every body available, so you need more than 22.
In my mind Kennedy has been perennially in the next 3 or 4 which gets you a lot of games.
I'd freely admit I rarely have Kennedy in our best 22.

I also pretty consistently have him as the next bloke in when Williams or Whitfield or Shaw have missed games, or if we need to push Whitfield up the field because of midfield gaps.

With two of those (and Corr) gone I think there's quite a chance he gets back in for the long term, or at least this season, even with Ash likely accounting for one of the spots.

Read the article about Hogan on the AFL website today.

I reckon I'd go with the below, leaving out Finlayson.

Green Hogan Himmelburg
Daniels Riccardi Hill

How do you guys see the forward line round 1?
That'd be my forward 6.
Finlayson may grab a role as a swingman

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I'd freely admit I rarely have Kennedy in our best 22.

I also pretty consistently have him as the next bloke in when Williams or Whitfield or Shaw have missed games, or if we need to push Whitfield up the field because of midfield gaps.
And Cumming.
With two of those (and Corr) gone I think there's quite a chance he gets back in for the long term, or at least this season, even with Ash likely accounting for one of the spots.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I get the feeling we might struggle to make the 8 again.
I listened to Leon’s interview yesterday... he is a really good fella, but doesn’t inspire confidence.
We would need dramatic gamestyle changes and good luck with injuries.
Even with those, I can’t see us doing much damage in big games against the likes of Richmond, Geelong, West Coast etc.
You can’t lose that many really good players and expect to get better.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
I get the feeling we might struggle to make the 8 again.
I listened to Leon’s interview yesterday... he is a really good fella, but doesn’t inspire confidence.
Yep just listened to it and agree. I think he sounded like they would be happy creeping into the 8 and this is the start of a mini-rebuild.

Also Himmelberg sounds like he's not going to defence. And Davis' surgery worse than originally thought.

Mentioned that Idun had been a pre-season standout and that Buntine was in the mix for the Shaw replacement role.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Had a look at the 2016 PF again this week. What a game!
Reflecting on the game style from then to 2020 I had pangs of sympathy for Leon Cameron. The speed, running power and attacking kicking available to him in 2016 compared to 2020 is ridiculous.
Scully, Wilson, Shiel, Shaw (2016 runner Shaw), complemented and took pressure off Kelly, Whitfield and Williams.
I don’t know what the answer is for the best lineup in 2021, but I hope it includes more leg speed and ability to execute aggressive kicking options.
A couple of ideas-
I doubt his kicking is strong enough, but perhaps Daniels to half-back similar to Caleb Daniel at the Bulldogs. He’s fast and takes the game on and it’s not like he kicks so many goals anyway.
Whilst not quick over the ground, I’d like to see Perryman used forward. He’s a smart player who knows where the goals are, plus his genuine toughness is needed down there.

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
You have 2 young rucks on your list, Matthew Flynn & Kieren Briggs.
Which do you see breaking into your side earlier?
Cheers.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would you say that's more due to age, or talent?

Talent. He would of gotten his shot a while ago except for injury according to the club. So make of that what you will.

All the reports out of there are both are developing well. Problem is we still had Mummy and Sauce trading spots last year and have brought in Preuss this year. Make of that what you will.

Would you say that's more due to age, or talent?

I'm the reverse of General Giant , although I agree Flynn is likely ahead in the current pecking order, I think it is more to age than talent.

They have been very positive on Flynn for years now, but I see the recruitment of Preuss along with keeping Mumford as an admission of doubt in Flynn.

Others will no doubt see it differently.

Im pretty bullish on Briggs long term, but think 2022 will be more his time.

Back