2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep agree.

There are often a couple that come from a distance back to cement themselves in the best 22 by year’s end.

Starcevich was tipped in the preseason to be that player last year - now he’s one of the first on the team sheet. Coleman’s not quite there but if he continues to progress the way he has been, he’ll make it impossible for the selectors to leave out.
I really liked Coleman last year. Played really well as a pressure forward and showed class in pressure situations. Has a nice side step, makes good decisions under pressure and tackles really well. I was surprised that he was dropped for our last game. The only thing he needs to work on is his goal kicking as to me he needs to kick one or two goals a week to be a more effective small forward.

I really liked Coleman last year. Played really well as a pressure forward and showed class in pressure situations. Has a nice side step, makes good decisions under pressure and tackles really well. I was surprised that he was dropped for our last game. The only thing he needs to work on is his goal kicking as to me he needs to kick one or two goals a week to be a more effective small forward.
How many does McCarthy kick each week?

How many does McCarthy kick each week?
just under 1 like a lot of our forwards.
Only Charlie (43 games 88 goals. 54 behinds) and Hippy (42 games 59 goals and 48 points) kick more than a goal avg a game.
Be why we went for Joe.

over last 2 years most under 1 and most 50/50 almost goals points as well.
McCarthy
41 games 35 goals and 28 points
20 goal assists.
91 inside 50's
148 tackles

Rayner.
41 games 37 goals 32 points
17 goal assists
79 inside 50's
106 tackles

McStay
41 games 32 goals 22 points.. ok not sure how many missed everything :)
14 goal assists
59 inside 50's
76 tackles

mids
Zorko 41 games 32 goals . 35 points
Clugga 42 games 31 goals. 34 points
Neale 43 games 26 goals. 20 points

I rated Coleman very highly after watching him in the reserves up forward early last year. I would certainly have him in my side. Where I see him playing is more as a true flanker getting up and down the field more. I doubt he will ever be a big goal kicker (unlike his brother) but if we can get the ball in his hands he is going to create a lot of goals for the other forwards.

When the opposition turned the ball over he was a little slow to get off his man this year and get to space to receive. That is certainly something which he has to bring into his game next year. More than anything I just think he needs to get more of the ball not necessarily close to goal. Other than that I was really impressed with his early outings.

I rated Coleman very highly after watching him in the reserves up forward early last year. I would certainly have him in my side. Where I see him playing is more as a true flanker getting up and down the field more. I doubt he will ever be a big goal kicker (unlike his brother) but if we can get the ball in his hands he is going to create a lot of goals for the other forwards.

When the opposition turned the ball over he was a little slow to get off his man this year and get to space to receive. That is certainly something which he has to bring into his game next year. More than anything I just think he needs to get more of the ball not necessarily close to goal. Other than that I was really impressed with his early outings.
Was thinking about this the other night while watching highlights of this year’s draftees.

Really made me question if we’re genuinely looking at Bailey Laurie as a draft prospect. If he was taller and/or had the body to develop in to an inside mid, I could understand.

But I would have both Coleman brothers ahead of Laurie as a better fit in our team. Both have the necessary speed to play as pressure forwards, and can play on the flanks and wing.

As I mentioned before, Laurie looks like a Jack Higgins type, probably with more tricks, but lacks genuine speed to play a pressure game style.

Was thinking about this the other night while watching highlights of this year’s draftees.

Really made me question if we’re genuinely looking at Bailey Laurie as a draft prospect. If he was taller and/or had the body to develop in to an inside mid, I could understand.

But I would have both Coleman brothers ahead of Laurie as a better fit in our team. Both have the necessary speed to play as pressure forwards, and can play on the flanks and wing.

As I mentioned before, Laurie looks like a Jack Higgins type, probably with more tricks, but lacks genuine speed to play a pressure game style.
I read that the Gabba is one of the fastest grounds to play on. This would surely mean that we would be drafting players with excellent leg speed. I must admit though I do prefer players that are good decision makers.

Ex-Lions First XVIII (Adjusted for Hinge's move)
BA.WITHERDEN (WCE)L.HENDERSON (GEEL)J.AISH (FREO)
HBM.HINGE (ADEL)J.CRISP (COLL)S.DOCHERTY (CARL)
CJ.REDDEN (WCE)T.ROCKLIFF (PORT)J.POLEC (NTHM)
HFS.MAYES (PORT)J.WALKER (NTHM)T.CUTLER (ESS)
FL.TAYLOR (SYD)J.SCHACHE (WB)C.COX (Likely FREO Rookie)
RS.MARTIN (WB)E.YEO (WCE)B.KEAYS (ADEL)

Out of all of those I'd only take back Yeo, Crisp and Docherty. Those 3 were mistakes made long ago and not by the current administration. None of the others are best 22 imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FourBA.WITHERDEN (WCE)L.HENDERSON (GEEL)J.AISH (FREO)

Would be a bottom four team.

Defense looks ok.

The team would struggle too for replacements if there were injuries / suspensions. ;)
I was more worried about exhaustion - I noticed it was prepared for the AFL's inevitable zero rotations policy.

Surely we'd have to be one the few clubs that could actually field an 18 of ex players though.

GWS and GC would be able to pretty easily - probably even a 22. Beyond them, maybe Adelaide? Most other clubs are obviously helped because of the lack of go home factor.

I was more worried about exhaustion - I noticed it was prepared for the AFL's inevitable zero rotations policy.

GWS and GC would be able to pretty easily - probably even a 22. Beyond them, maybe Adelaide? Most other clubs are obviously helped because of the lack of go home factor.
yeah Ex-GWS team might have a shot at finals. I think fox footy might have even done one somewhere along the way.

yeah Ex-GWS team might have a shot at finals. I think fox footy might have even done one somewhere along the way.
B: Caleb Marchbank, Aidan Corr, Lachie Plowman
HB: Zac Williams, Sam Frost, Nathan Wilson
C: Jackson Hately, Adam Treloar, Dylan Shiel
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith
F: Jonathon Patton, Josh Bruce, Jacob Townsend
F: Rory Lobb, Taylor Adams, Jack Steele
IC: Will Setterfield, Matt Kennedy, Adam Tomlinson, Jye Caldwell

Strong team

Strong team
Competitive team, wouldn’t say strong, personally.

Strong team
And that's not even including guys like Scully, Hombsch, Langdon or Anderson (listed for less than 24 hours but still...).

Agree, but how with Daniher, Hippy and possibly McStay
Totally agree with you the two best reserves key position players in the reserves are Fullarton and Payne. They surely will get opportunities this year to play in the 1sts. It looks like our best 22 gets around 3 new players added to the squad every year. The advantage we have at the moment is that we are getting the opportunity of adding A grade players to our list due to the success of the club and the fantastic culture being developed by our coaching hierarchy. The rule changes brought in by the AFL this year are of particular interest to me for next year. The 1st rule gives the kick in player who presumably be Rich a further 5 metres of free space to bring the ball up the ground. This means on a good day then ball will be brought up to the wing. Now that Daniher will play full forward McStay and Hipwood will be the lead up forwards and will be expected to mark the ball on the wing. This will suit both players as they are both great marks and try to hand the ball out as fast as they can. The ball will fly out of the backline and the players have the opportunity to kick more goals. The second rule that will make the game faster is that the player on the mark is not allowed to move this will make it easier for the player with the ball to move it quickly and will suit the Lions game style. I don’t know how this,rule,will be umpired and a 50 metre penalty appears harsh for a player to move laterally while on the mark. Due this rule a chip and mark style of game especially in the backline will be an advantage. Geelong plays this style so may have an advantage. The last rule change of less interchange rotations taking place will mean that future draft selections will need to have excellent running capacity no matter what position they play it will also mean that more goals will be kicked during the last few minutes of each quarter. With Fagan being on the rules committee the Lions have the opportunity to bring in a new game style each year that suits the new rule changes. Next year will be very exciting once again for the 🦁 Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back