2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a tough one now. So many good established players and a lot of really capable depth.. I will err on the side of youth.

Gardiner, Payne, Answerth
Witherden, Andrews, Rich.

McCluggage, J Berry, Starcevich
Big O, Neale, Lyons

Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner
Cameron, Daniher, McCarthy

Bailey, Cockatoo, Ah Chee, McStay.

Lester, birchall, adams (if he gets fit), robbo, matho and CEY offer maturity to the squad and will ensure spots in the best 22 will be competed for. We also have a raft of young blokes pushing to be regulars or at least able to come in and play a role. Coleman, T Berry, Fullarton, Dev Rob, Eli Smith, Hinge, Archie Smith. Thats 35 in the squad best 22 ready. Throw in Blake Coleman who from reports could crack a run later in the year and joyce, prior, smith, mcfadden developing nicely and the lions are best situated than they have been in such a long time. I guess that leaves ballenden and madden as the only players i have doubts about making it.

This is a tough one now. So many good established players and a lot of really capable depth.. I will err on the side of youth.

Big O, Neale, Lyons

Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner

Lester, birchall, adams (if he gets fit), robbo, matho and CEY offer maturity to the squad and will ensure spots in the best 22 will be competed for. We also have a raft of young blokes pushing to be regulars or at least able to come in and play a role. Coleman, T Berry, Fullarton, Dev Rob, Eli Smith, Hinge, Archie Smith. Thats 35 in the squad best 22 ready. Throw in Blake Coleman who from reports could crack a run later in the year and joyce, prior, smith, mcfadden developing nicely and the lions are best situated than they have been in such a long time. I guess that leaves ballenden and madden as the only players i have doubts about making it.
You grabbed my attention with the ...I will err on the side of youth. The only slight difference, is I think with a bit more weight and a big preseason Ballenden could be ready by 2022.

Payne - Rich - Gardiner
Bailey - Andrews - Ah Chee

McInerney - Lyons - Neale
Cockatoo - McCluggage - Berry

Cameron - Rayner - Hipwood
Fullarton - Daniher - Mccarthy

Starcevich, Robertson, Zorko, Coleman

Whatever it ends up being, if this group can stay fit and healthy they are going to be pretty bloody hard to beat

Could possible get a ready made player from the draft but looks as though Fagan likes to keep them on the boil for a bit before bringing them in.

Starc - Andrews - Gardiner
Birchall - McStay - Rich

Bailey - Berry - McCluggage
Big O - Neale - Lyons

Rayner - Hipwood - Zorko
Cameron - Daniher - McCarthy

Ah Chee - Coleman - Answerth - Robertson

Rich, Andrews, Gardiner
Ah Chee, Payne, Witherden

Starchevich, Bailey, Lyons

Oscar, Neal, McCluggage

Zorko, Hipwood, Cameron
Adams, Daniher, Rayner

Int Robertson, Berry, McCarthy, Cockatoo

Emg Robinson, Answerth, Fullerton,

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surprised the number who have Cockatoo coming straight into the 22.
I'm hoping he can be that bigger body in the midfield who can attend centre bounces and stoppages to help Neale and Lyons/Mccarthy, maybe rotate him and Robertson. I also think his marking could help us with our ball movement out of defense, and he can also be a dangerous attacker pushing into fwd 50. From what gives seen, and I am not an expert, he looks like he could net more than Robbo/CEY, and I personally like the fwd pressure of playing Berry at HF

To start the year it might look a bit like this -

Rich Payne Gardiner
Starc Andrews Birchall

Robinson Zorko McCluggage
O’Mac Neale Lyons

McStay Hipwood Cameron
McCarthy Daniher Rayner

Int: Bailey Berry AhChee Cockatoo

Emg: Witherden Answerth Fullerton E Smith Coleman

But hopefully a bit more like this at the end of the year -

Rich Payne Gardiner
Witherden Andrews AhChee

Starc Berry McCluggage
O’Mac Neale Lyons

Zorko Hipwood Cameron
McCarthy Daniher Rayner

Int: Robertson Bailey Cockatoo McStay

Emg: Answerth Fullerton E Smith Coleman Robinson Prior

Last edited:
Surprised the number who have Cockatoo coming straight into the 22.
Looking at who we've brought in since Fagan and Noble took over, pretty much every target has come straight into the best 22 once fit.

Big O, Neale, Lyons

Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner

Looking at your missed outs, it does remind me how disappointing it was not to see NEAFL this year. All going well, it will be a hightlight of next year to watch these guys develop in the new reserves comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zorko playing up forward more in 2021 is a must IMO. He can ply on for a long time as a small forward. Our improvement next season comes from our young mids and talls.

Rich Payne Gardiner
Starcviech Andrews AhChee
McLuggage Berry Bailey
Rayner Hipwood McStay
Zorko Daniher Cameron
Oscar Neale Lyons
McCarthy Robinson Coleman Answerth

To start the year it might look a bit like this -

Rich Payne Gardiner
Starc Andrews Birchall

Robinson Zorko McCluggage
O’Mac Neale Lyons

McStay Hipwood Cameron
McCarthy Daniher Rayner

Int: Bailey Berry AhChee Cockatoo

Emg: Witherden Answerth Fullerton E Smith Coleman

But hopefully a bit more like this at the end of the year -

Rich Payne Gardiner
Witherden Andrews AhChee

Starc Berry McCluggage
O’Mac Neale Lyons

Zorko Hipwood Cameron
McCarthy Daniher Rayner

Int: Robertson Bailey Cockatoo McStay

Emg: Answerth Fullerton E Smith Coleman Robinson Prior
Hopefully just an oversight but no Bailey?

Answerth Andrews Witherden
Rich Payne Gardiner

Starc Berry Rayner
Oscar Neale McCluggage

Fullarton Hipwood Cameron
Bailey Daniher Coleman

Int: Cockatoo, Zorko, McCarthy, Robertson
Emerg: E. Smith, Birchill, Robinson, Lester

Answerth Andrews Witherden
Rich Payne Gardiner

Starc Berry Rayner
Oscar Neale McCluggage

Fullarton Hipwood Cameron
Bailey Daniher Coleman

Int: Cockatoo, Zorko, McCarthy, Robertson
Emerg: E. Smith, Birchill, Robinson, Lester
Can’t see the captain on the bench or Rayner on the wing

Answerth Andrews Gardiner
Starcevich Payne Rich

McCluggage Berry Robinson

Rayner Daniher Zorko
Cameron Hipwood Mcstay

Big O Neale Lyons

Bailey McCarthy Coleman Witherden

Berry and Robertson to be pushing into the best 22 (Robinson most likely dropping out).
Starcevich and Coleman to hopefully get some time in the midfield.

I think 2021 is the year to try and push Rayner into the midfield or wing. Keeping him up forward only hinders his progress, however, its up to him to gain the prerequisite fitness to play in that position.
I can see Cam getting more time in the midfield at centre bounces and short stints in general play... but he hasn't got the endurance to play any sort of time on a wing.

2022 on he hopefully progresses into a 50/50 fwd/mid.

Gardiner Andrews Rich
Birchall Adams Ah Chee
Cockatoo Berry McCluggage
McInerney Neale Lyons
Zorko Hipwood Cameron
Rayner Daniher McStay

Into: McCarthy Starcevich Bailey Answerth

Updated my 22.

In: Adams, Birchall
Out: Payne, Witherden

I think 2021 is the year to try and push Rayner into the midfield or wing. Keeping him up forward only hinders his progress, however, its up to him to gain the prerequisite fitness to play in that position.
More midfield minutes yes. Will never get a start on the wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back