briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
LDU was my pick of that draft. Wish we grabbed him. Rsyner needs to take the next step this year or alarm bells will start ringing for me
Yup, LDU was my pick as well.

Rayner has a few more years yet as far as I’m concerned. I’ll be happy if he reaches Pettracca level by 24 or 25.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like watching Mathieson he always gives his all but unfortunately he has gone down the pecking order. His chances really depend on the form of our midfield and injuries. When he plays he always does a solid job but is a one position player which Fagan does not like. If I was a betting man I reckon he might be going to North Melbourne next year on probably a 2 year contract.
Apparently that blonde dude at the Bombres is/was good mates with him so could be a connexion but hope he stays....he adds a bit of something....cant quite put my finger on it.....and seems a very likable guy.

Out with a long term injury this year isn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah your right Scubaveg. I totally forgot about his injury that he suffered during the pre-season.

Found this on the Kangaroo's website just then which was published around a month ago.

Apparently he suffered a tibial stress fracture in his right leg. Doesn't say how long he is sidelined through injury but the club has stated they will a cautious approach to his recovery and rehabilitation most likely meaning he will be out for quite some time.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah your right Scubaveg. I totally forgot about his injury that he suffered during the pre-season.

Found this on the Kangaroo's website just then which was published around a month ago.

Apparently he suffered a tibial stress fracture in his right leg. Doesn't say how long he is sidelined through injury but the club has stated they will a cautious approach to his recovery and rehabilitation most likely meaning he will be out for quite some time.

I’m hoping this will get Sam Skinner a list spot for the yeah...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have a lot of players that are quite competitive for spots in the first 22 which is great. I think something like this.
Adams Andrews Rich
Ah Chee Gardner Starcevich
McCluggage Neale Bailey
K Coleman Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher McCarthy
Foll: McInerney Lyons Zorko
Int: Berry Cockatoo Robinson Payne

I think there is some other young guys such as Robertson and Tom Berry who could push for and solidify a first 22 spot. I think Bailey is our #2 wing over Robbo now. I'm not convinced about Robbo being automatic spot in the first 22 anymore unless he takes up a new role.
Our defence is pretty bloody solid. Lester, Payne and Adams are all probably fighting for spots against each other, Payne would pay off in the future if Adams doesn't set the world on fire upon his return. I'm not sure if Ah Chee is our best or second best option in the defensive role he plays either.
Our Mids are pretty evenly spread, Neale is the star. The one thing we are missing is a big bodied mid. Rayner may be able to fill that role if his gas tank is where it needs to be. He might not be as tall as Fyfe/Cripps/Martin/Dangerfield but I would imagine his strength is somewhere in the ball park.
Foward line has 3 X-Factors IMO. Cameron, Daniher and Hipwood can all dominate a game when they're running hot. IMO Hipwood plays better further up the ground where his athleticism can't be matched by tall defenders. With Hipwood and Daniher it means Charlie will get #3 defender and not have to play as a psuedo-tall anymore. More options up forward will really help Charlie who's only weakness is getting into wrestling matches with bigger guys. I think we need more from Raynor, when he is in the play he is worth his weight in gold but he just isn't in the play enough. Hopefully that changes this year because he does look to me like he could be exceptional.
A lot of the team is still surprisingly young and inexperienced which can only be a positive in the future. I think we have guys who will step into roles of our older players like Robbo, Zorko as the wear and tear on their bodies catches up with them. The silver lining with Zorko is that if we have better options in the midfield he has always been a really dangerous small forward who would probably be the best option in the position after Cameron.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have a lot of players that are quite competitive for spots in the first 22 which is great. I think something like this.
Adams Andrews Rich
McCluggage Neale Bailey
K Coleman Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher McCarthy

I think there is some other young guys such as Robertson and Tom Berry who could push for and solidify a first 22 spot. I think Bailey is our #2 wing over Robbo now. I'm not convinced about Robbo being automatic spot in the first 22 anymore unless he takes up a new role.
Our defence is pretty bloody solid. Lester, Payne and Adams are all probably fighting for spots against each other, Payne would pay off in the future if Adams doesn't set the world on fire upon his return. I'm not sure if Ah Chee is our best or second best option in the defensive role he plays either.
Our Mids are pretty evenly spread, Neale is the star. The one thing we are missing is a big bodied mid. Rayner may be able to fill that role if his gas tank is where it needs to be. He might not be as tall as Fyfe/Cripps/Martin/Dangerfield but I would imagine his strength is somewhere in the ball park.
Foward line has 3 X-Factors IMO. Cameron, Daniher and Hipwood can all dominate a game when they're running hot. IMO Hipwood plays better further up the ground where his athleticism can't be matched by tall defenders. With Hipwood and Daniher it means Charlie will get #3 defender and not have to play as a psuedo-tall anymore. More options up forward will really help Charlie who's only weakness is getting into wrestling matches with bigger guys. I think we need more from Raynor, when he is in the play he is worth his weight in gold but he just isn't in the play enough. Hopefully that changes this year because he does look to me like he could be exceptional.
A lot of the team is still surprisingly young and inexperienced which can only be a positive in the future. I think we have guys who will step into roles of our older players like Robbo, Zorko as the wear and tear on their bodies catches up with them. The silver lining with Zorko is that if we have better options in the midfield he has always been a really dangerous small forward who would probably be the best option in the position after Cameron.
Good post and close to the team I would have, but maybe not for round 1. Listening to Fages on Sen radio, likes the idea of the 3 tall mobile forwards so for at least the early rounds likely McStay is in, but Fullarton will get an opportunity.
From last year, Lester is ahead of Adams. After all the injuries think Adams will have to earn a spot with good form in the VFL.
Think Birchall is not automatic 22 but would not surprise to see him in the early rounds, against Geelong down at Geelong, but can see him being overtaken during the season.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams Andrews Rich
McCluggage Neale Bailey
K Coleman Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher McCarthy

Good point re Charlie.

A lot of his time at the Lions has been as the focal point in attack which you wouldn't think is going to win you the majority of games long term. Nor help him with the gifts he has.

Fullarton impressed for the short time he played and I see him as an upgrade on McStay if he keeps improving. Maybe McStay might be more suited to a utility role but just where position wise that is I'm not sure.

I'm not writing Robbo off just yet . He'd be a very handy reserve if nothing else.

Royboy1961

Senior List
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams Andrews Rich
McCluggage Neale Bailey
K Coleman Hipwood Rayner
Cameron Daniher McCarthy

Really good summary and well thought through. I reckon our best team last year sure will have first dibs at playing in the 1sts this year and depending on how we play adjustments will be made during the year. What will be interesting for me especially at the start of the year is how the game will look due the rule changes. The teams that are the most offensive may get the opportunity to win more games especially at the start of the season when many teams are fine tuning their game plans. I reckon McStay and Hipwood will be both used as targets on the wing when we have our kick in from the back line. Rich will be kicking to the wing from the kick in due the extra 15 metres allowed from the backline. McStay will be suited to this role as he does not like kicking for goal and goes into a cold sweat every time he kicks for the goal. I feel very sorry for him but other than goal kicking he is a good field kick and dishes the ball of quickly. Fullartons chance will come if one of our key forwards gets an injury or an opportunity to pinch hit in the ruck comes about.Both Fullarton and Payne are too good to be left in the reserves all year and to me will be solid AFL players in years to come. Payne to me needs to be trialled at full back because he is key position height and is a better option than Adams who to me is too risky due to his injury history. Adams is an elite athlete who is competing with Gardiner to play in defence on the oppositions third tall. He is not key position height. His best game was against Hawkins but got towelled up against Reiwoldt who is a leading forward when as he went ball watching rather than watching his man. When he played in Perth he was a centre half forward and with his elite running may be suited to a high half forward role similar to McStay. The other rule change will be the biggest change in our game as the man on the mark will no longer be able to move at all. This is the new AFL statue rule and has been brought in so that more goals are kicked. This means that whenever a player marks the ball he will be encouraged to immediately play on as he can get an advantage to gain extra metres or kick better to the next player up the field. This may mean that many teams will be introducing faster players into their teams who can break the lines to move the ball quickly to the forward line.The fast ball movement will probably mean that their will be an extra player or two in the back half trying to intercept the ball. Every year the team changes with around 3 new players introduced. This year two of them are Daniher and Cockatoo. The third player for me will be Robertson as he he has been developed as both an inside/outside midfielder. Adams plays in the reserves until and waits for an opportunity to prove his worth. We are well placed with our depth with multiple options for each Position. We also have a fast team which will suit the rule changes made by the AFL so I reckon we should make the top 4 before our next finals campaign.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Really good summary and well thought through. I reckon our best team last year sure will have first dibs at playing in the 1sts this year and depending on how we play adjustments will be made during the year. What will be interesting for me especially at the start of the year is how the game will look due the rule changes. The teams that are the most offensive may get the opportunity to win more games especially at the start of the season when many teams are fine tuning their game plans. I reckon McStay and Hipwood will be both used as targets on the wing when we have our kick in from the back line. Rich will be kicking to the wing from the kick in due the extra 15 metres allowed from the backline. McStay will be suited to this role as he does not like kicking for goal and goes into a cold sweat every time he kicks for the goal. I feel very sorry for him but other than goal kicking he is a good field kick and dishes the ball of quickly. Fullartons chance will come if one of our key forwards gets an injury or an opportunity to pinch hit in the ruck comes about.Both Fullarton and Payne are too good to be left in the reserves all year and to me will be solid AFL players in years to come. Payne to me needs to be trialled at full back because he is key position height and is a better option than Adams who to me is too risky due to his injury history. Adams is an elite athlete who is competing with Gardiner to play in defence on the oppositions third tall. He is not key position height. His best game was against Hawkins but got towelled up against Reiwoldt who is a leading forward when as he went ball watching rather than watching his man. When he played in Perth he was a centre half forward and with his elite running may be suited to a high half forward role similar to McStay. The other rule change will be the biggest change in our game as the man on the mark will no longer be able to move at all. This is the new AFL statue rule and has been brought in so that more goals are kicked. This means that whenever a player marks the ball he will be encouraged to immediately play on as he can get an advantage to gain extra metres or kick better to the next player up the field. This may mean that many teams will be introducing faster players into their teams who can break the lines to move the ball quickly to the forward line.The fast ball movement will probably mean that their will be an extra player or two in the back half trying to intercept the ball. Every year the team changes with around 3 new players introduced. This year two of them are Daniher and Cockatoo. The third player for me will be Robertson as he he has been developed as both an inside/outside midfielder. Adams plays in the reserves until and waits for an opportunity to prove his worth. We are well placed with our depth with multiple options for each Position. We also have a fast team which will suit the rule changes made by the AFL so I reckon we should make the top 4 before our next finals campaign.
Good read...but a paragraph here or there would've made it easier to read. ;) :thumbsu:

lion64

Draftee
Feb 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So many great players waiting in the wings; selection will be nice problem to have for Fages and co come R1..

Here's my two cents..

B Payne Gardner Rich
HB Ah Chee Andrews Starcevich
C McCluggage Neale Bailey
HF McStay Hipwood Zorko
FF Cameron Daniher McCarthy
Foll McInerney Lyons Rainer
Int Berry Cockatoo Adams Fullerton

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3 talls isn't a bad option at all. I was impressed with some of McStay's marking last season so I definitely think he is a good target. I'm thinking that having 3 talls in the forward line may allow or require that Rayner and Charlie rotate through the midfield at times? Both guys are pretty handy in the mid mins I have seen them in. It's just another option at the teams disposal. One of our strengths I think is the versatility in a lot of our players. All of our small-medium size players have the ability to play a role well as well as rotate through the midfield with pretty good success.

With his athleticism assuming he is healthy, could Adams be occasionally used as a big bodied mid when required? We've seen our mids get pushed around by the Fyfe's, Cripps and Martins etc.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3 talls isn't a bad option at all. I was impressed with some of McStay's marking last season so I definitely think he is a good target. I'm thinking that having 3 talls in the forward line may allow or require that Rayner and Charlie rotate through the midfield at times? Both guys are pretty handy in the mid mins I have seen them in. It's just another option at the teams disposal. One of our strengths I think is the versatility in a lot of our players. All of our small-medium size players have the ability to play a role well as well as rotate through the midfield with pretty good success.

With his athleticism assuming he is healthy, could Adams be occasionally used as a big bodied mid when required? We've seen our mids get pushed around by the Fyfe's, Cripps and Martins etc.

Our mids aren't small. And they aren't getting any smaller. We'll be ok in this department moving forward. If anything, some of our forwards will spend more time in the midfield.

*Copyright Mr Ripper 2021

Berry.jpg

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With his athleticism assuming he is healthy, could Adams be occasionally used as a big bodied mid when required?

No we could not.

As far as size goes I am expecting Zorko to play less onball this year. More time at half forward and on the outside as a receiver. That will free up some more onball time for a couple of the bigger bodies.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No we could not.

As far as size goes I am expecting Zorko to play less onball this year. More time at half forward and on the outside as a receiver. That will free up some more onball time for a couple of the bigger bodies.
Would a positional change for a player like Zorko to a more outside role require a bit of additional running to get his tank up to a higher level from being predominantly on the ball?

Are you expecting Zorko to play more hff / outside due to his prep for the season, or more just the natural rotation of bringing in some of the younger guys who are ready to step up (and perhaps better suited).

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would a positional change for a player like Zorko to a more outside role require a bit of additional running to get his tank up to a higher level from being predominantly on the ball?

Are you expecting Zorko to play more hff / outside due to his prep for the season, or more just the natural rotation of bringing in some of the younger guys who are ready to step up (and perhaps better suited).

Personally I think Zorks is an outside in player who is good in both. With that said I thought the midfield as a whole performed better when he was not in there with Neale and Lyons. We also have younger guys developing and needing more onball time and given he is equally adept on the outside and forward I would reduce his inside time. This would also reduce the punishment on his body.

So team balance and midfield efficiency are the reasons I would be making the change.

Back