2021 best 22 (and sub)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get the impression this lockdown was due to the fact that there is little to no confidence in our contact tracing down here. Might be wrong, but that's my take on it. Hopefully we get our act into gear & have a contact tracing & quarantine system similar to NSW in terms of competency, if not then handball it to others to do that know what they're doing.

As usual, the 99.999% have to do the heavy lifting & do it tough, due to the incompetence & mismanagement of the 0.001% I reckon it will drag on beyond tomorrow, but hopefully not too much longer.

(Edit: I haven't fact checked those numbers).

(Edit: I work from home, am a ninja level hermit anyway, so these lockdowns don't really effect me that much, but that's not the point).

If things don't turn around down here & there are continual lockdowns over the next month and once again there are hubs in Qld / NSW I hope the players from the interstate clubs get the option of freighting their own beds up, because I've heard that's a big thing.
Yes . It's the contact tracing . Which is a bit of a shambles if you've ever spoken to anyone who's been contact traced . Not sure what they do in NSW which seems to work a lot better but it needs to be a National approach.

Back to footy I think we've had in mind quicker movement out of the backline for some time now but just haven't been able to get the right personnel there to do it ,and we're winning most games anyway so hastening slowly at this point.

Ah Chee was brought in to provide some of that but he's been in a lockdown role for a good portion of the games. We have plenty of quick guys on the list , it seems they're now grooming Cockatoo .

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m trying to put together a best 22 and am finding that there is one man in particular that could start on basically every line on the ground - Rat Bailey. Think this bloke is a super talent and should explode soon. Where do we see his best position currently? Wing? With Zorko more than likely to spend more time up forward, I’m hoping Bailey can start to spend some more time inside, but not sure there is the room for him there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He is looking in super form and to my untrained eye looks to be one of our top 3 players already. I think he has proven he is reliable in the defensive area of his game but also just appears to have developed to be faster, harder and better than a lot of other players so Id expect to see him inside more this year.

I dont think his best position is wing due to his height and what they lose in not having him inside and pushing forward when he gets an opportunity. I thought Ah Chee was playing a way too complicated role last year and is the one who can apply the pressure required on the fat side wing and take Robbo's spot. He is very effective at impacting marking contests out there and can back it up at ground level, plus he is one who can sneak forward and take a mark if he can be an outnumber or in a set play. St Kilda use Butler in a creative way pushing forward from a wing and I think Ah Chee can be used in a similar way for us.

I think Mcstay is really settled and will enjoy playing a more uncomplicated version of his role this year, with more time up the ground marking and distributing, or bringing the ball to ground to the advantage of our mids when not able to take the ball cleanly. That we will have either Daniher or Hipwood pushing up towards halfway and presenting a target, with the other one deep fwd, (YAY), will also help him win and capitalize on his share of his contests.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes . It's the contact tracing . Which is a bit of a shambles if you've ever spoken to anyone who's been contact traced . Not sure what they do in NSW which seems to work a lot better but it needs to be a National approach.

Back to footy I think we've had in mind quicker movement out of the backline for some time now but just haven't been able to get the right personnel there to do it ,and we're winning most games anyway so hastening slowly at this point.

Ah Chee was brought in to provide some of that but he's been in a lockdown role for a good portion of the games. We have plenty of quick guys on the list , it seems they're now grooming Cockatoo .

A lot of people made the assumption that Birchall was brought in as a Hodge replacement. You heard it everywhere. I never saw it like that. Any experience like he has is great but I always thought he was brought in to compliment Rich & free up our ball movement by foot from defence. If we've only got one elite distributor it's pretty easy to shut that down.

Quick players are great, but if someone's going to take Birch's spot I would've thought it needs to be a player who can take over the role he was brought in to do. Is Prior that player? Haven't seen anything really of his play (nor Cockatoo's) to know. If other posters have some insight that'd be awesome.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of people made the assumption that Birchall was brought in as a Hodge replacement. You heard it everywhere. I never saw it like that. Any experience like he has is great but I always thought he was brought in to compliment Rich & free up our ball movement by foot from defence. If we've only got one elite distributor it's pretty easy to shut that down.

Quick players are great, but if someone's going to take Birch's spot I would've thought it needs to be a player who can take over the role he was brought in to do. Is Prior that player? Haven't seen anything really of his play (nor Cockatoo's) to know. If other posters have some insight that'd be awesome.
I'm in the dark too.

But we do have players outside the 22 who we don't as yet really know how good they might be or what role they could play.

We have an awful lot of defenders but do we have a breakaway speedy gun who can pierce the lines with pace and piercing disposal ? I suppose I'm talking a very good player with those qualities.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
He is looking in super form and to my untrained eye looks to be one of our top 3 players already. I think he has proven he is reliable in the defensive area of his game but also just appears to have developed to be faster, harder and better than a lot of other players so Id expect to see him inside more this year.

I dont think his best position is wing due to his height and what they lose in not having him inside and pushing forward when he gets an opportunity. I thought Ah Chee was playing a way too complicated role last year and is the one who can apply the pressure required on the fat side wing and take Robbo's spot. He is very effective at impacting marking contests out there and can back it up at ground level, plus he is one who can sneak forward and take a mark if he can be an outnumber or in a set play. St Kilda use Butler in a creative way pushing forward from a wing and I think Ah Chee can be used in a similar way for us.

I think Mcstay is really settled and will enjoy playing a more uncomplicated version of his role this year, with more time up the ground marking and distributing, or bringing the ball to ground to the advantage of our mids when not able to take the ball cleanly. That we will have either Daniher or Hipwood pushing up towards halfway and presenting a target, with the other one deep fwd, (YAY), will also help him win and capitalize on his share of his contests.

Appreciate your thoughts there mate. Agreed, would love to see Bailey play some more inside minutes. I remember being spewing that we took Bailey early in the draft (was hoping for Lachie Fogerty at our pick I think), but how wrong I was!

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m trying to put together a best 22 and am finding that there is one man in particular that could start on basically every line on the ground - Rat Bailey. Think this bloke is a super talent and should explode soon. Where do we see his best position currently? Wing? With Zorko more than likely to spend more time up forward, I’m hoping Bailey can start to spend some more time inside, but not sure there is the room for him there.

I agree Bailey is a Super Talent. He reminds me of Fitzroy's Mickey Conlan. A great HFF who was powerful, explosive, fast and inspirational. Bailey at HF when settled in that position would be massive and give the same attributes in our forward line as Mickey Conlan did for Fitzroy. Some of you will not know anything about Mickey Conlan but those of you who do, remember him as a dynamic footballer.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I'm a fan of Adams, in far as I thought he was a good pick up at the time. Can he get in a full season?

I wonder if people want to guess how many games he will be fit for and how many senior games he will play?

I reckon he is a starter every week if he gets in a full preseason and this last bit is my worry.

It appears he is going well in the scratch matches?

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams still a mystery.. he was rusty when he played in 2019 had a couple of good games and one great one on Hawkins.
Also a few avg games.
Disposal was not something I thought was great.. Although as said was rusty we brought him in after a few NEAFL games only
On senior form Payne in the games he played prob equal output.

Birchall I think like Rich 90% of the time they pick the right option not as rushed as some younger players.
I said before I do not think Birchall was anywhere near Rich level last year.
Although we not carrying him. He missed 3 years not getting bashed around, so if body holds up might go around another year after this one
Another preseason might of helped get some rhythm back..

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm in the dark too.

But we do have players outside the 22 who we don't as yet really know how good they might be or what role they could play.

We have an awful lot of defenders but do we have a breakaway speedy gun who can pierce the lines with pace and piercing disposal ? I suppose I'm talking a very good player with those qualities.

While we're putting a wish list together I would also like them to be able to read the play a step ahead of all other players, be a one touch player with Greg Williams like handball abilities, find space in traffic & be a great intercept marker.

Done. Make it so. :D

Another positive to come from moving to the new VFL is not only should it fast track the improvement of the developing players, but if someone is having a great patch of form in the VFL it would give the coaching & selection panel greater confidence they could slot into the seniors.

While we're putting a wish list together I would also like them to be able to read the play a step ahead of all other players, be a one touch player with Greg Williams like handball abilities, find space in traffic & be a great intercept marker.

Done. Make it so. :D

... with strong family bonds in Brisbane, a passionate love for the Lions, a visceral distaste for all things Gold Coast related, and an innate desire to be a one club player.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So what do the coaching staff etc do with Robbo? I'm not sure if he is automatically in our best 22 and as long as the young guys keep improving they'll probably push him further down the order. But I think his presence is such a great thing for the club. He's passionate and from everything I have ever seem the team loves him. I believe we should be lining him up to be the captain of our 2's starting next year or the year after but will we be able to keep him around? He brings a lot off the field to the team and I would hate to see that go missing. I want him to be in our best 22 this year especially if we managed to win the premiership. Other than Richy there is no one in the team that deserves to be part of the success more than Robbo because of his loyalty and the culture he has IMO helped the lions create, not to mention to be at Carlton and Brisbane when he has been has been a pretty raw deal.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe people should start penciling Ah Chee in to one wing position.

Has been played there over most of the preseason.

And potentially pencil Madden in as the 7th defender.
Ah Chee looks like he's lost 4-5kg at least.

Seen so little of Madden it's hard to know but if Ah Chee moves out of the backline it's clear looking at the rest of them we need to bring in someone with breakaway pace. Which Madden has. And Cockatoo.

Ah Chee has been a stand out in the Intra clubs I have seen.
The first one he played predominantly on the wing with Bailey on the other.
And yesterday I reckon he played the first half on the wing and the second half he spent a lot of time in the defensive half of the ground, can’t say I noticed where he was lining up at Centre bounces but it was in the second half out of the defensive half of the ground where his run and carry and disposal of the ball was first class and really stood out to me.
Jimmy Madden’s run and link up with the other defenders was fantastic in the first half, turned the ball over a bit with his disposal, particularly when on the run. But when he had taken a mark and was kicking from a pretty stationary position his kicking was good.
Run forward hard in the second half after changing teams and kicked a couple of good goals for the Yellow team.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Been saying in a few post hope to see Madden given a chance at least with the practice match and game against GWS he is super fast. Didn't get to see him last year so probably has developed further and improved his disposal. Would be super handy when playing against a fast forward line. I don't think he is in for round 1, as I think Lester and Birchall will be in.
IF Payne is 'backed in' by the coaches, then moving forward Payne takes the tall or 2nd tall forward. Lester takes the 3rd (until Gardiner returns) Then upon Gardiner's return can Lester take Birchalls role? Then perhaps Madden and or another young guy gets a chance throughout the year.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm a bit surprised by the Birchall hate across some of these pages. I know be made some defensive howlers last year (vs Rohan/Geelong stands out but there were others) - but ball in hand his 45 degree kicks are the best I've ever seen. It's a scapel through a defensive zone. With the new man on the mark rules I imagine it'll be even better this year.

I imagine having he and rich as defensive distributors spread opposition defenses wide and keep us unpredictable.

Best 22 lock for mine and can't wait to watching him play.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think we can afford to keep Robinson in the best 22 this year. His form last year was a dramatic drop from the year before and he's only holding spots from younger players who deserve a spot. If Fagan dropped witherden from round 1 due to his 2019 form, then he should definitely do the same here and try someone else. If they fail, then bring him back. If they don't, then we've discovered another player who can take us up a gear.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm a bit surprised by the Birchall hate across some of these pages. I know be made some defensive howlers last year (vs Rohan/Geelong stands out but there were others) - but ball in hand his 45 degree kicks are the best I've ever seen. It's a scapel through a defensive zone. With the new man on the mark rules I imagine it'll be even better this year.

I imagine having he and rich as defensive distributors spread opposition defenses wide and keep us unpredictable.

Best 22 lock for mine and can't wait to watching him play.
I certainly don't dislike Birchall, and have him in the best 22 for the early rounds, be valuable against the Cats at Geelong. I just believe other will overtake him during the season. From last season he spent the most time of the ground of all the regular backs.

Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think we can afford to keep Robinson in the best 22 this year. His form last year was a dramatic drop from the year before and he's only holding spots from younger players who deserve a spot. If Fagan dropped witherden from round 1 due to his 2019 form, then he should definitely do the same here and try someone else. If they fail, then bring him back. If they don't, then we've discovered another player who can take us up a gear.
Agree. His dump, long territory kicks were fun in 2019 but got a bit old last year. I'd prefer a handball chain or a bullet pass to a leading team mate.

Back