2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Gould meant to have, in the words of Bruce, a long leg on him?
And does anyone know what is the story with him? Hasn't developed (hard last year with no NEAFL I know)? Injured?
I think a big reason is we had a settled back 7 (including Mills) who are very good and durable. Mills was moved to the Mids. Then Campbell filled Mills spot in the back 7. Gould (and Ling) will only get in if injuries occur. Not all his fault.

That’s a reasonable perspective.

However whilst a good solid team player Hewett is a run of the mill inside mid, at least he has been up until this point and he hasn’t shown any signs of being more than that consistently at this stage.

So I think a player of his calibre is replaceable by trade without too much trouble, particularly in the age of free agents. Also given 2024 is 3 years away, we are going to have to take calculated gambles on these kids anyway and I have to say I am fairly confident in them. We will also be in a position to trade players in and target free agents between now and then.

Right now, if the lineup stayed the same I’d move Mills back to defence and Hewett back to the middle.

Could Hewett be more than a solid team player? He has had some great performances as a ball-winner. If Mills or Rowbottom or Florent had some of the performances that Hewett has had over the years, we’d be demanding he be a lock at our centre bounces for the next five years, but because it’s Hewett the tagger having those types of performances, they’re viewed as some kind of aberration, not a sign of what he is really capable of.

Worth noting that this time last year, Jack Steele - who went top five in the Brownlow and is now captain of the Saints - was considered just a solid team player, wasn’t even in their leadership group. One decision to change his role made him a very different player. I think given we’re rebuilding and figuring out what our next flag team will look like, we shouldn’t be putting limits on what our 25s and under can do. We should also be exhausting every possibility with the options we currently have on the list, not banking on future trades that haven’t happened yet/might not happen at all.

Just my view.

Last edited:
The big question is, how are we going to reverse our disastrous free kick count? Losing the free‘s is like losing the clearances. We are forever ceding the momentum.

We need to either:
Fix the fix
or
Fix our ‘dirty’ play
or
Fix the coaching

I just can’t see that we are a dirty team so why do the umps see us that way?

Hey guys, Sorry for intruding, just got a SuperCoach related question

I was wondering if Logan McDonald and Braedan Campbell will be a lock in your best 22 this year?

Thanks

I was wondering if Logan McDonald and Braedan Campbell will be a lock in your best 22 this year?

Thanks

Really hard to tell. We have 5 young players in Campbell, Gulden, Wicks, McDonald and Warner who all deserve to be in the team based on last weeks game but it is generally accepted Longmire is not going to pick all 5 of them at once. At best I think he will pick 3 of them to play next week, we just don't know which three.

Thanks
We need a thread for "supercoach intrusions" .... can imagine the trolling already

Really hard to tell. We have 5 young players in Campbell, Gulden, Wicks, McDonald and Warner who all deserve to be in the team based on last weeks game but it is generally accepted Longmire is not going to pick all 5 of them at once. At best I think he will pick 3 of them to play next week, we just don't know which three.
I've got a feeling that Horse will drop some names post intra-club/ training monday press conference.
I'm going for 4 .

Rd 1 2020

SWANS

B: Aliir, Rampe, O’Riordan

HB: Mills, McCartin, Dawson

C: Cunningham, Kennedy, Lloyd

HF: Hayward, Blakey, Gray

F: Papley, Heeney, Ronke

FOLL: Naismith, Parker, Rowbottom

I/C: Brand, Florent, McInerney, Taylor

8 players different. At a minimum.

Decent effort that.

Theres a few more than 5.. I reckon less than 10 games experience makes you a very 'young player'
0 games - Campbell, Gulden, McDonald, Gould
1 game - Amartey
2 games - Warner
3 games - Ling
5-8 games - Stephens, McInerney, Wicks, Bell, McLean

Im thinking this is a problem for Horse. He wants to play 8-9 of them each week, but can't. So how many? 3-4?? Also need to consider that guys like Blakey, Rowbum, McCartin, are also still very young and still developing

AFL.com effort

SYDNEY

B:
Jake Lloyd, Lewis Melican, Dane Rampe
HB: Jordan Dawson, Tom McCartin, Braeden Campbell
C: Oli Florent, Callum Mills, Nick Blakey
HF: Will Hayward, Logan McDonald, Isaac Heeney
F: Tom Papley, Sam Reid, Sam Wicks
Foll: Tom Hickey, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker
I/C: Harry Cunningham, George Hewett, James Rowbottom, Chad Warner
EMERG: Callum Sinclair, Errol Gulden, James Bell, Ryan Clarke

NEW: Braeden Campbell, Tom Hickey, Logan McDonald
UNAVAILABLE: Robbie Fox (finger), Lance Franklin (calf), Sam Naismith (knee)

NOTES: There should be a nice mix between experience and youth in Sydney's first team of the season. Lloyd missed the AAMI Community Series match against GWS with a knee niggle, but is expected to return and add some class to the backline, while Academy product Campbell impressed against the Giants and has earned a debut. With Franklin still not back from his calf injury, No.4 draft pick McDonald might be too tempting to leave out, although John Longmire could opt for Sinclair to play forward and support Hickey in the ruck. Dylan Stephens (concussion) and Justin McInerney (back) both had setbacks during the pre-season and might need another match or two to be considered. - Michael Whiting

AFL.com effort

SYDNEY

B:

NOTES: There should be a nice mix between experience and youth in Sydney's first team of the season. Lloyd missed the AAMI Community Series match against GWS with a knee niggle, but is expected to return and add some class to the backline, while Academy product Campbell impressed against the Giants and has earned a debut. With Franklin still not back from his calf injury, No.4 draft pick McDonald might be too tempting to leave out, although John Longmire could opt for Sinclair to play forward and support Hickey in the ruck. Dylan Stephens (concussion) and Justin McInerney (back) both had setbacks during the pre-season and might need another match or two to be considered. - Michael Whiting

Rate this, but I'd have Gulden in over Hayward.

And the Mills, Parker & JPK trio = :sick:

Ditto.... we'll see . Though i'm not sure Hayward has reached that level of being "dropped" from a lock.
Re the Mills, Parker & JPK trio. The AFL journos have been spruiking Mills to mid all pre-season.
So thats just how they see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL.com effort

SYDNEY

B:

I read that and for the AFL website that isn't a bad effort.

I would rate that trio but your Luke Parker issues are well documented. I want to see Mills play big minutes in the guts and see once and for all what sort of player he might be there. We'd also have Hewett, Rowbottom and maybe even Warner rotating through the middle. Parker could push forward as you've often suggested.

I would rate that trio but your Luke Parker issues are well documented. I want to see Mills play big minutes in the guts and see once and for all what sort of player he might be there. We'd also have Hewett, Rowbottom and maybe even Warner rotating through the middle. Parker could push forward as you've often suggested.
When Reid is pinch hitting in the ruck. Parker has to go forward.

Wicks
Campbell
Gulden
Warner
McDonald

All of them put their hands up for selection in round 1, all of them could make a case for round 1 selection. The problem is I am not sure we can put all of them in the team, and even if we could I am not sure Longmire would play 5 players with a combined total of probably less than 10 games experience.

I look at them and think Wicks, Campbell, Gulden and Warner should all play based on how they performed today (especially Wicks) and that we could discount McDonald as he wasn't quite as impressive, but that isn't an easy decision either as an argument could be made for McDonald having improved our forward structure when he came onto the ground.

We are not going play all 5 of them, I am sure of that. I suspect at most we will play 3 of them.
Mcdonald played a half of footy. He changed the game in the third. He was good. Really good. If any tall forward goes it would have to be Reid. But we need two tall not one. That was obvious.

Who was non existent. Heens was not really in the play a lot, playing only about 10 minds, in 1st half didn't help. Hayward, doing a job on Haynes, was probably not that great.

Gulden, Wicks, Campbell, Warner, Mcdonald all deserve a go

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rd 1 2020

SWANS

B: Aliir, Rampe, O’Riordan

HB: Mills, McCartin, Dawson

C: Cunningham, Kennedy, Lloyd

HF: Hayward, Blakey, Gray

F: Papley, Heeney, Ronke

FOLL: Naismith, Parker, Rowbottom

I/C: Brand, Florent, McInerney, Taylor

8 players different. At a minimum.

Decent effort that.

Very good and mostly positive replacements. We'll know if AA is a loss after a few weeks or so but for now almost all of those that are out won’t be missed from our best 22. The exceptions Mack & Ernie, Naismith if he’s ever fit and I still have faith in Taylor as a solid back up/role player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hewett goes to the 2s for me

3 debuts

Hayward will play r1bur has to be on notice you wouldthink
What is it with you? You take every opportunity to Hewett bash. Even when he almost won the B & F. He has been top10 B & F every year he has played. You must really hate the Swans Punts for playing such a terrible player. He is cool under pressure and will play well now he has some match practice behind him.

Not sure I'd have Stephens in round 1 if he hasn't trained or played.

If Lloyd and McInerney are ready, then I'd drop Bell and Warner from today's team.

Edit: Whoops I forgot Hayward. Bell & Hayward are who I would drop, only Warner if Stephens miraculously gets up.
At the moment we are playing Stephens outside mid. Warner inside mid. Not like for like

What is it with you? You take every opportunity to Hewett bash. Even when he almost won the B & F. He has been top10 B & F every year he has played. You must really hate the Swans Punts for playing such a terrible player. He is cool under pressure and will play well now he has some match practice behind him.

Where have I bashed him? Your full of s**t.
All i said was he looks underdone and is was playing in the back pocket last week

a few weeks in the 2s to regain form

So he should be. One of the most consistently good players we have

I reckon if Mills does not set the world on fire in the mids, then put him back where he does his best work. Dawson would be better off a wing kicking into the F50 or kicking monster goals from outside the 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back