2021 - Best 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK then who makes way for a second ruck?
At this point, probably Campbell. But he could easily pass someone (likely Florent) by the start of next season. There's little chance we ever end up having a completely fit best 22 anyway, so both will probably play more than a dozen games next year.

OK then who makes way for a second ruck?

Why do we need a second ruck? It is the single most useless position. I'm sorry but it flat out is. Realistically it will probably be Ladhams anyway

Why do we need a second ruck? It is the single most useless position. I'm sorry but it flat out is. Realistically it will probably be Ladhams anyway

Okay so if it's Ladhams then who makes way? As SS11 above said, Campbell and Florent are likely vying for the same spot.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
At this point, probably Campbell. But he could easily pass someone (likely Florent) by the start of next season. There's little chance we ever end up having a completely fit best 22 anyway, so both will probably play more than a dozen games next year.
The Swans didn't sign Campbell to a long-term deal because they think he'll be a vital cog in the reserves.

He'll be Best 22 next year. And for a looooooooooooooong time thereafter.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
If Ladhams comes we get a forward line that looks like:
KPF Franklin, McDonald
Forward/Ruck Ladhams
Medium Hayward
Small Papley Wicks
7th rotating through Heeney, Gulden, Parker
If he doesn't we probably have McLean in that spot.
The three talls TOG as KPFs:
Franklin 80%
McDonald 75%
Ladhams 60% (20% rucking)
So most of the time 2 KPF and 4 smaller.
Heeney rotating in as the second medium when we're shorter.
Works fine for me.

Okay so if it's Ladhams then who makes way? As SS11 above said, Campbell and Florent are likely vying for the same spot.

Don't see them vying for the same spot at all. Campbell off a wing.

You mean the role Florent had all this year?

Florent will go into Hewett's role, Campbell will replace Florent off a wing. It's literally an easy swap. Stephens the wildcard for me but I won't commit to him before I see the pre season.

Florent will go into Hewett's role, Campbell will replace Florent off a wing. It's literally an easy swap. Stephens the wildcard for me but I won't commit to him before I see the pre season.

What is Hewett's role? Because Hewett's role was Rowbottom and Warner's role...

What is Hewett's role? Because Hewett's role was Rowbottom and Warner's role...

Don't have Warner starting in the middle, might have bursts through that's it. JPK and Rowbottom can job share so to speak on a 60/40 basis.

B: Rampe - McCartin - Cunningham
HB: Lloyd - Melican - Blakey
C: McInerney - Mills - Gulden
HF: Heeney - McDonald - Papley
F: Hayward - Franklin - Wicks
R: Hickey - Parker - Florent
I: Kennedy - Warner - Rowbottom- Stephens-Campbell

Notes:

1. I hate Melican in there but I don't see an alternative
2. Last 2 on the bench are going for 1 position probably.
3. Don't need a second ruck

It's funny, we have an abundance of wingers and half forwards but still missing imo 1-2 big bodied mids and a KPD

Not sure that we are. JPK, Parker and Mills are as big-bodied as you can get. Warner is a unit already, Rowbottom will be once he adds some kgs. That's five, the latter three will be around for a decade.

Not sure that we are. JPK, Parker and Mills are as big-bodied as you can get. Warner is a unit already, Rowbottom will be once he adds some kgs. That's five, the latter three will be around for a decade.

Also potentially our first rounder this year with a lot of big bodied mids available.

Not necessary. Would rather we get a gun defender.

Probably isn't one available. In an ideal world 100% but the best defender is going early (likely to GWS). It is why we really wanted pick 4.

In a perfect world, Rowbottom and Warner easily replace Kennedy by the end of the season and he retires

EDIT: And/or Heeney actually makes an impactful midfield move like Mills did

In a perfect world, Rowbottom and Warner easily replace Kennedy by the end of the season and he retires

EDIT: And/or Heeney actually makes an impactful midfield move like Mills did

That is a very realistic world there Millky. Many might've forgotten just how good a fully fit Rowbottom is, but I have not, and he will only get better. He looked primed to go to another level this year, before he did his knee. Warner is also nearer to his peak physical condition than many realise. I can definitely see the two of them being more than ready to be an inside duo by the end of next year in JPK's absence. It depends on their opportunities though, and not sure if Heeney in the midfield will help or hinder them.

That is a very realistic world there Millky. Many might've forgotten just how good a fully fit Rowbottom is, but I have not, and he will only get better. He looked primed to go to another level this year, before he did his knee. Warner is also nearer to his peak physical condition than many realise. I can definitely see the two of them being more than ready to be an inside duo by the end of next year in JPK's absence. It depends on their opportunities though, and not sure if Heeney in the midfield will help or hinder them.
I think it'll help because whilst yes he might not kick those bags of 5 and get only get 1-2 a game but it will help his consistency. And allows us to play more genuine forwards like McDonald. I'd take a season of Heeney averaging 25 touches and 1.5 goals a game over what he is offering now.

I think it'll help because whilst yes he might not kick those bags of 5 and get only get 1-2 a game but it will help his consistency. And allows us to play more genuine forwards like McDonald. I'd take a season of Heeney averaging 25 touches and 1.5 goals a game over what he is offering now.

I meant I'm unsure if Heeney in the mids will help or hinder the two kids in the midfield. Undecided if Heeney in the mids will help or hinder Heeney himself.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
It'd be a massive test for Longmire to drop Kennedy while he's fit. He's done it before with other players but you could easily make a case that no other player has done anywhere near as much for Longmire's coaching career as Kennedy. They're tight and have been through a lot together.

I agree that on paper it's the best thing for the club to get Warner and Rowbottom as much time in the middle as possible this year and that almost certainly means (without injuries) that Kennedy has to make way, but will be very interesting to see how long that process takes for Longmire to pull the trigger.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Frustrating that we might not improve the list again this season and loosing an A grader and hewett , gone backwards imo

With Kennedy, rampe dripping of we need Gould , Rowbottom etc to step up
I think losing Dawson was outside our expectations, but we are definitely banking on the natural improvement of players already on our list.

If there's one positive, it's that Rampe, who was so important last year was way off his best this year and we still improved. So we may be able to handle the loss we've suffered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back