Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Look how good it's serving Hawthorn. North did a mass exodus of their elder players too - really pushed em into contention!4

Trading Pendlebury, and to a lesser extent Sidebottom, would be ridiculous

agree that trading out too much senior talent is a bad way to do it. It has to be gradual and not leaders who are going to teach Rantall Bianco reef etc how to go about it like Pendles will.

Is there any chance we recruit an experienced player through the psd or rookie list etc?

If we fill up remaining list spots with youth, then we are going to be very light on.

Last season Josh Daicos stepping up was a bonus. In the upcoming season we are relying on Will Kelly, Tyler Brown and Sier all stepping up.

What do people see in Mark Keane? Is he really a chance of becoming an Afl player?

Look how good it's serving Hawthorn. North did a mass exodus of their elder players too - really pushed em into contention!4

Trading Pendlebury, and to a lesser extent Sidebottom, would be ridiculous
I disagree. I think now would have been the time to move on the players that will not be part of our next premiership tilt rather then Stephenson in particular. Hawks just needed to rebuild rather then bring in the likes of wingard and Mitchell.

Going to be a few iterations of this over the summer, hopefully plenty of chances for the young guys to stake a claim

B. Noble Roughead Howe
HB. Maynard Moore Quaynor
C. Daicos Pendlebury Crisp
HF. Elliott Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
F. De Goey Cox C.Brown
R. Grundy Sidebottom Adams
I. T.Brown Kelly Rantall Greenwood
E. Murphy Mayne Sier Thomas

Rantall, Bianco, Murphy, Keane - all guys I'd love to see get games early, which is pretty obvious

Hopefully Wilson gets a look in too

As much as we like Roughead in to allow Moore to play as an intercepter, I wonder if his lack of pace and ball use hurts too much to have him as a lock. Keane is too raw to assume that spot full time so I wonder if we just go with Moore as key defender while Howe plays as our intercepter along with Crisp if he stays back.

Means Madgen might need to be the second tall and while he has limitations he does give us a bit more flexibility than just Roughead who can only play on a couple of big fwds and assume he's output will decline on this year given his age.

As much as we like Roughead in to allow Moore to play as an intercepter, I wonder if his lack of pace and ball use hurts too much to have him as a lock. Keane is too raw to assume that spot full time so I wonder if we just go with Moore as key defender while Howe plays as our intercepter along with Crisp if he stays back.

Means Madgen might need to be the second tall and while he has limitations he does give us a bit more flexibility than just Roughead who can only play on a couple of big fwds and assume he's output will decline on this year given his age.
Moore isn’t good enough one on one to be the sole key defender

I disagree. I think now would have been the time to move on the players that will not be part of our next premiership tilt rather then Stephenson in particular. Hawks just needed to rebuild rather then bring in the likes of wingard and Mitchell.
And that's exactly what we did. We traded out treloar, phillips and stevo. Freeing up enough cash to secure a decent free agent or two whilist still bringing in talent with reef, daicos and 2 other top 20 picks.. this isn't and doesn't have to be a full rebuild.

Tried to pick a side with as much youth as possible while also trying to pick a side that I think can win a game (I've just gone with age per the AFL app as at right now).

Quaynor (20), Keane (20), Howe(30)
Crisp (27), Moore (24), Maynard (24)

Grundy (26), Adams (27), Sier (22)
Pendlebury (32), T.Brown (20), Daicos (21)

De Goey (24), Cox (29), Mihocek (27)
Elliot (28), Kelly (20), Sidebottom (29)

Rantall/Bianco (19), Noble (23), Ruscoe (19), Murphy (20)

Average age of 24 and I think that team could beat most sides outside of the top 5-6 teams. Roughead for Keane probably the most debatable selection, while guys like Thomas, Greenwood, Mayne, Madgen, C. Brown would also be in the mix.

May seem all doom and gloom.

We do need the below to go right for us

- Minimal injuries
- Senior players to play out of their tree
- 3 or 4 youngsters to make an impact
- Buckley to get a clue

Moore isn’t good enough one on one to be the sole key defender
Agree its not ideal but there's only a few players Roughead can play on and Kennedy kicked 7 on him while Hawkins also beat him in final. I'm not sure how many match ups suit. Moore can also have Howe and Crisp intercepting. But yes if Keane comes on quicker hr may be better option. When that is is the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree its not ideal but there's only a few players Roughead can play on and Kennedy kicked 7 on him while Hawkins also beat him in final. I'm not sure how many match ups suit. Moore can also have Howe and Crisp intercepting. But yes if Keane comes on quicker hr may be better option. When that is is the question.
Darling beat Moore in final as well though.

Roughead looks past it I agree but playing Moore there isn’t the solution. I see most of the same problems occurring with Moore at fullback as they do with Roughead except we’re also wasting Moore when he’d be much more useful to the team as an interceptor or up forward.

Darling beat Moore in final as well though.

Roughead looks past it I agree but playing Moore there isn’t the solution. I see most of the same problems occurring with Moore at fullback as they do with Roughead except we’re also wasting Moore when he’d be much more useful to the team as an interceptor or up forward.
Yeah that's a fair pt.

Working on the basis we will get 3 top 25 picks 1 of which being McInness: (hoping we somehow can manage 4)

B: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Crisp Moore Quaynor
C: Daicos Pendlebury Sidebottom
HF: Elliott Mihocek Hoskin-Elliott
F: Thomas Cox Kelly
Foll: Grundy De Goey Adams

INT:
Murphy (7th Def)
Wilson (7th Fwd)
McIness (6th Mid)
T.Brown (7th Mid)

EMG:
Cameron Madgen Sier Rantall

For the 7th DEF spot I have it in this order:
Murphy, Madgen, Langdon (unless he is 100% fit then obviously would be best 22), daylight, Noble

7th Fwd Spot order:
Wilson, Ruscoe, Pick 14,

6+7th Mid Spot order:
McIness, T.Brown, Pick 16, Sier, Rantall,

Although Greenwood and Mayne have my absolute respect for their hard, tough and honest style of play I would rather give Murphy Wilson McInness and T.Brown exposure in 2021.

Not good enough:
C.Brown, Wills, Lynch, Appleby, Tohill, Noble.

Make or break year for C. Brown, Noble

Last edited:
Maynard O'McDonald Howe
Crisp Roughead Quaynor
Daicos Sier Pendelbury
Mihocek Cox McInnis
DeGoey Moore Elliott

Grundy adams Noble

I/C: Wilson Rantall WHE T.Brown

I come in peace. This side can still challenge no doubt.

Im just curious to see how the Degoey, Cox, Mihocek, D.Cameron now operates altogether without Treloar and Stephenson. Does Degoey finally go onball or is he simply replaced in finals sides by Sidebottom and everything else stays pretty much the same?

Last edited:
B: T.Langdon - J.Roughead - J.Howe
HB: J.Noble - D.Moore - J.Crisp
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - I.Quaynor
HF: WHE - B.Mihocek - S.Sidebottom
F: J.Elliott - M.Cox - J.DeGoey
R: B.Grundy - B.Maynard - T.Adams

INT: N.Murphy - T.Bianco - R.McInnes - B.Sier

This team can still make finals.
Big injection of youth off the bench.

B: T.Langdon - J.Roughead - J.Howe
HB: J.Noble - D.Moore - J.Crisp
C: J.Daicos - S.Pendlebury - I.Quaynor
HF: WHE - B.Mihocek - S.Sidebottom
F: J.Elliott - M.Cox - J.DeGoey
R: B.Grundy - B.Maynard - T.Adams

INT: N.Murphy - T.Bianco - R.McInnes - B.Sier

This team can still make finals.
Big injection of youth off the bench.

Langdon is cooked - no chance.

Moore is wasted if played as a lock down defender (Not referring to your post specifically but the general discussion )

Given its Collingwood, we also need to factor in injuries........so need to have emergencies listed to provide an idea re depth.

Is there any chance we recruit an experienced player through the psd or rookie list etc?

If we fill up remaining list spots with youth, then we are going to be very light on.

Last season Josh Daicos stepping up was a bonus. In the upcoming season we are relying on Will Kelly, Tyler Brown and Sier all stepping up.

What do people see in Mark Keane? Is he really a chance of becoming an Afl player?

He had 4 goals kicked on him on debut but "the human glove" in his first 6 years regularly had bags of 8-10 kicked on him by M.Lloyd B.Fev etc etc.

IMo Keane should be developed for CHB more then FB as well.

collingwood.jpg

The midfield looks an awful lot more threadbare following the off-season departures of Adam Treloar, Tom Phillips and Jaidyn Stephenson. Expect it to mean more onball time for the likes of Jamie Elliott and the Brown brothers, while Brayden Sier and Rupert Wills could also see more opportunity as inside players. Jeremy Howe will return from a long-term knee injury to push Jack Madgen out of the frame, while Will Kelly could also challenge Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron for more game time in the forward line after recovering from an elbow injury. The Pies currently have two first-round picks, and access to Next Generation Academy speedster Reef McInnes, so expect this team to change even further after December's NAB AFL Draft. – Riley Beveridge

B: Jack Crisp, Jordan Roughead, Brayden Maynard
HB:
Isaac Quaynor, Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe
C:
Chris Mayne, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Daicos
HF:
Tyler Brown, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F:
Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott
Foll:
Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom
I/C:
Callum Brown, Brayden Sier, John Noble, Levi Greenwood

Emerg: Josh Thomas, Will Kelly, Rupert Wills, Jack Madgen

I come in peace. This side can still challenge no doubt.

Im just curious to see how the Degoey, Cox, Mihocek, D.Cameron now operates altogether without Treloar and Stephenson. Does Degoey finally go onball or is he simply replaced in finals sides by Sidebottom and everything else stays pretty much the same?
I think you will find kelly playing CHF can’t seen us ever playing cox and Cameron together again... Degoey is a tough one, I’d like us to see him play more mid and play sidey more forward of the ball.

issue is without degoey playing forward on current form struggling to see goals. Hopeful a change in game style can help Elliot, WHE etc contribute more on the scoreboard. Still confident in ruscoe coming on a bit as well. We need a break out year from both browns to really come on. Tyler I’m hopeful, Callum jury is still out.

we would also like your pick 8 cheap, and thanks

agree that trading out too much senior talent is a bad way to do it. It has to be gradual and not leaders who are going to teach Rantall Bianco reef etc how to go about it like Pendles will.

Well said - the number of people who don’t understand the consequences of mass dumping leaders and seniors players to make way for youth is staggering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back