Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, we’ll know soon enough. Aren’t we scheduled to meet in Rd1? I’m confident you’ll be eating your words - unless Crisp and/or Maynard get substantial midfield minutes. I’ll be very happy to be proven wrong and to issue you and unreserved apology. I wonder if you’ll do the same if we get taken to the cleaners?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not suggesting you’re wrong. None of us know what R1 and the 2021 season will bring. I just don’t think it’ll be as bad as you suggest. I think the biggest difference in their midfield will be Martin, not Treloar.

Last edited:

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
It’s his ball winning for me. I doubt that he can become a 25ppg AFL mid because he’s never been an accumulator at TAC, VFL or AFL level.

For me entering his 4th year in the system it’s now a case of expecting him not to get to that level and being surprised if he does. Watch out if he can though because I think it’s more likely he does it as a contest to contest type and with his tricks he’d be elite.
That’s it. How much longer do you keep a player hoping they will make it. We get rid of players like Stephenson who showed so much more for free and keep someone who has done nothing.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
That’s it. How much longer do you keep a player hoping they will make it. We get rid of players like Stephenson who showed so much more for free and keep someone who has done nothing.

I’m keen to distance myself from this. Brown’s 21 so has time and two wrongs don’t make a right. Also people may now read my post out of context because by “that level” I meant elite which I think isn’t beyond him if he increases his production. Problem is I don’t think it’s all that realistic to expect he’s going to start producing 20+ppg in 2021.

Personally it’s an absolute no brainer that T Brown continues on our list until at least the end of 2022. His brother though should be on thin ice post 2021.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Well, we’ll know soon enough. Aren’t we scheduled to meet in Rd1? I’m confident you’ll be eating your words - unless Crisp and/or Maynard get substantial midfield minutes. I’ll be very happy to be proven wrong and to issue you and unreserved apology. I wonder if you’ll do the same if we get taken to the cleaners?

I'd be surprised if WB's midfield takes us to the cleaners because Grundy always makes English look like a VFA-tier ruckman.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd be surprised if WB's midfield takes us to the cleaners because Grundy always makes English look like a VFA-tier ruckman.

Largely why they added Stef Martin over the off-season.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He might help, maybe, but he looked totally cooked last year and is 34 years old. I'd like to see him try and keep up with Grundy

Yeah, was injury interrupted last season but is historically 1 of the rucks who trouble Grundy.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our midfield seems to have gone full circle, we had a list a mile long of mids and were recruiting and drafting more and more of them. I agree with most on here that outside of our main core of mids we need one or two more before factoring the kids in. Pendles, Adams, Sidey, JDG are the "locks" and then you have Sier and T Brown who have a bit of experience and shown enough to suggest they could make it as AFL midfielders. Mayne and Greenwood are the two older options but both over 32 at season starts and Levi only managed 6 games last year, so I'm not really sure how reliable an option he would be. Obviously I've excluded Daics from this list, he's our best outside/wing type and I would be against moving him inside.

Though he cuts an unpopular figure on here what about moving JT back into the middle? Showed an ability to find the footy before his ban and being turned into a FWD, and like a few on our list he needs to find a new role or risk getting over taken by younger guys.

I don't for one second think he would be the "answer" in the middle but at least he's an experienced player and his body is up to it, some of these kids will take time to adjust the physicality of AFL. If he could carve out a role as that 6/7th mid and play more of a support role to the likes of Adams and Pendles he could have some value to the 22.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our midfield seems to have gone full circle, we had a list a mile long of mids and were recruiting and drafting more and more of them. I agree with most on here that outside of our main core of mids we need one or two more before factoring the kids in. Pendles, Adams, Sidey, JDG are the "locks" and then you have Sier and T Brown who have a bit of experience and shown enough to suggest they could make it as AFL midfielders. Mayne and Greenwood are the two older options but both over 32 at season starts and Levi only managed 6 games last year, so I'm not really sure how reliable an option he would be. Obviously I've excluded Daics from this list, he's our best outside/wing type and I would be against moving him inside.

Though he cuts an unpopular figure on here what about moving JT back into the middle? Showed an ability to find the footy before his ban and being turned into a FWD, and like a few on our list he needs to find a new role or risk getting over taken by younger guys.

I don't for one second think he would be the "answer" in the middle but at least he's an experienced player and his body is up to it, some of these kids will take time to adjust the physicality of AFL. If he could carve out a role as that 6/7th mid and play more of a support role to the likes of Adams and Pendles he could have some value to the 22.

JT may well end up getting more midfield rotations but the issue with him was that only Treloar was poorer in terms of his 2-way running. I rate JT's work as an inside mid. Think he has great hands. Just a matter of balancing the pro's and con's.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I think by understanding his deficiencies we will be able to limit his influence.

His deficiencies has been his DE, that's because he's been played as inside mid, not his natural position. The dogs though won't be using AT as a coalface mid, they'll use him as a receiving mid to burst out of packs (his more natural game).

So yeah if he's freed up to play his natural game, we are in big trouble. And that's not even mentioning our disconnect from Grundy to our mids.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does not pan out this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
His deficiencies has been his DE, that's because he's been played as inside mid, not his natural position. The dogs though won't be using AT as a coalface mid, they'll use him as a receiving mid to burst out of packs (his more natural game).

So yeah if he's freed up to play his natural game, we are in big trouble. And that's not even mentioning our disconnect from Grundy to our mids.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does not pan out this way.
i have to disagree, i think playing as an inside mid is treloar's best position.

MagicGnome97

All Australian
Sep 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
The exact positions aren't nailed on but there are only really 3 spots up for grabs at Collingwood I think. 19/22 are consensus best 22.

B: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Quaynor Moore Crisp
C: Daicos Sier ???
HF: Sidebottom Mihocek ???
F: Elliott Cox De Goey
R: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
IC: Noble T.Brown Kelly ???

Options for the question mark spots are Mayne, WHE, C.Brown, Madgen, Murphy, Macrae, Greenwood, Thomas, McCreery.

Thoughts??

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood
Howe roughead crisp
maynard moore quaynor
sidebottom de goey daicos
thomas kelly mihocek
eliott cox WHE
grundy pendles adams
int from sier, noble, mayne, greenwood, t brown c brown murphy madgen cameron lynch keane ruscoe

and watch out for mcinnes and mcreery to have an impact

bottom line is that none of treloar stephenson or phillips had any positive impact on 2020. not sure why anyone thinks we will be worse off in 2021 without any of them. exciting year ahead. a half decent run with injuries would be nice for a change, but if we get it we will be right around the mark again

Go Woods

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The exact positions aren't nailed on but there are only really 3 spots up for grabs at Collingwood I think. 19/22 are consensus best 22.

B: Howe Roughead Maynard
HB: Quaynor Moore Crisp
C: Daicos Sier ???
HF: Sidebottom Mihocek ???
F: Elliott Cox De Goey
R: Grundy Pendlebury Adams
IC: Noble T.Brown Kelly ???

Options for the question mark spots are Mayne, WHE, C.Brown, Madgen, Murphy, Macrae, Greenwood, Thomas, McCreery.

Thoughts??
I’d like to see Murphy take the wing position, play McCreery at HF if he’s ready to go by some reports? And Greenwood for mine is in our best 22 if fit to go.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
BEST 22 FOR ROUND 1

I really like the refreshed look of the team below. Thoughts?

DEFENDERS
Moore
Roughead
Maynard
Crisp
Howe
Quaynor

MIDS
Grundy
Adams
Pendlebury
DeGoey
Daicos
Murphy

FORWARDS
Mihochek
Cox
Kelly
Elliott
Sidebottom
Thomas

INTERCHANGE
Sier
Noble
Mayne
Macrae

Last edited:

pies 4 ever

Senior List
Jan 18, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
BEST 22 FOR ROUND 1

DEFENDERS
Moore
Roughead
Maynard
Crisp
Howe
Quaynor
MIDS
Adams
Pendlebury
DeGoey
Sier
Daicos
Murphy
FORWARDS
Mihochek
Cox
Kelly
Hoskin-Elliott
Sidebottom
Thomas
INTERCHANGE
Noble
Mayne
Macrae
Bianco
No Elliott???

BEST 22 FOR ROUND 1

DEFENDERS
Moore
Roughead
Maynard
Crisp
Howe
Quaynor

MIDS
Adams
Pendlebury
DeGoey
Sier
Daicos
Murphy

FORWARDS
Mihochek
Cox
Kelly
Elliott
Sidebottom
Thomas

INTERCHANGE
Noble
Mayne
Macrae
Bianco

No Elliott???

More importantly, where's Grundy?

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Hopefully Adams' set back is only minor and he lines up for round one.

I don't think round one will yield too many surprises. Our Victorian draftees have barely played any competitive footy in the last 18 months and so should be eased in through the VFL. The one drafted exception to me is Beau McCreery who played SANFL last year and the year before. Hopefully he can come in and play and kick a goal a game and be a good pressure source like Butler and Papley were early on in their careers. I'd much prefer we put games into McCreery rather than the known Thomas and C Brown who just aren't any good up forward.

B: Brayden Maynard - Jordan Roughead - Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Josh Daicos - Taylor Adams - Tyler Brown
HF: Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Jamie Elliott
F: Beau McCreery - Mason Cox - Will Kelly
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
I: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Levi Greenwood - John Noble - Brayden Sier

E: Trey Ruscoe - Jack Madgen - Darcy Cameron - Chris Mayne

A fully fit side could be very competitive, however injuries will be very tough to cover.

I want the club to pump games into Tyler Brown, who is coming into his fourth season now. Has class, poise and uses it well much like Daicos who had a fantastic breakout season in his fourth year. Tyler needs to increase his volume and get the ball more - if he does, he'll be very good.

Gotta play Will Kelly every week and see what he's capable of. At the very least, he'll learn off of his defensive opponents, improve his aerial work and running, which could help him become a good defender and be Roughead's replacement in a year or two. If all goes according to plan, Will should see Cox off in 2022.

De Goey to continue to play mostly forward hopefully, where he has a far greater point of difference than in midfield. Give him the licence to roam and get the ball further afield, but I don't think we're using him well at centre bounces and in long bouts in the guts. He's a dominant mid=sized forward who would be All-Australian without injuries.

Sidebottom really should be playing wing/half-forward now but with such poor inside midfield depth we'll need him in the guts for a while longer, until hopefully the likes of Rantall, Macrae, McInnes etc look like becoming strong ball winners.

I'd really like to see what Isaac Quaynor is capable of as a midfielder. He is gigantic for a running flanker, and we have other options at half-back like Bianco, Ruscoe, Greenwood, Murphy and Noble. I wonder if he could get us out of a hole and develop a knack for throwing himself around in midfield and winning the footy.

The weakest links are Greenwood, Hoskin-Elliott and Sier who are probably the three beneficiaries of Treloar, Stevo and Phillips going. Greenwood is the best of the three as he's an admirable work horse, versatile and very reliable defensively. Having said that he's approaching 32 and we still haven't seen how that ACL has affected his ability to play 80 minutes. Hopefully he still has a bit to offer. Hoskin-Elliott gets away with murder in the Collingwood camp and I hate that he never gets dropped for his efforts. Hopefully in what will be his 10th season of AFL, he finds something close to his 2017-18 form and not only kick his 1.5 goals a game and be a good marking target, but also dare to get the football and try and create some goals for his mates. One last crack here for Sier. He does not have a single competitor who has a game of AFL football under his belt. If he's not stapled in the side by the end of the year, he's obviously never going to be up to it.

VFL lineup:
B: Nathan Murphy - Mark Keane - Isaac Chugg
HB: Chris Mayne - Jack Madgen - Trent Bianco
C: Finlay Macrae - Jay Rantall - Tom Wilson
HF: Reef McInnes - Darcy Cameron - Callum Brown
F: Oliver Henry - Liam McMahon - Trey Ruscoe
R: Max Lynch - Josh Thomas - Caleb Poulter
I: Anton Tohill - Jack Ginnivan

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully Adams' set back is only minor and he lines up for round one.

I don't think round one will yield too many surprises. Our Victorian draftees have barely played any competitive footy in the last 18 months and so should be eased in through the VFL. The one drafted exception to me is Beau McCreery who played SANFL last year and the year before. Hopefully he can come in and play and kick a goal a game and be a good pressure source like Butler and Papley were early on in their careers. I'd much prefer we put games into McCreery rather than the known Thomas and C Brown who just aren't any good up forward.

B: Brayden Maynard - Jordan Roughead - Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Isaac Quaynor
C: Josh Daicos - Taylor Adams - Tyler Brown
HF: Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Jamie Elliott
F: Beau McCreery - Mason Cox - Will Kelly
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom
I: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Levi Greenwood - John Noble - Brayden Sier

E: Trey Ruscoe - Jack Madgen - Darcy Cameron - Chris Mayne

A fully fit side could be very competitive, however injuries will be very tough to cover.

I want the club to pump games into Tyler Brown, who is coming into his fourth season now. Has class, poise and uses it well much like Daicos who had a fantastic breakout season in his fourth year. Tyler needs to increase his volume and get the ball more - if he does, he'll be very good.

Gotta play Will Kelly every week and see what he's capable of. At the very least, he'll learn off of his defensive opponents, improve his aerial work and running, which could help him become a good defender and be Roughead's replacement in a year or two. If all goes according to plan, Will should see Cox off in 2022.

De Goey to continue to play mostly forward hopefully, where he has a far greater point of difference than in midfield. Give him the licence to roam and get the ball further afield, but I don't think we're using him well at centre bounces and in long bouts in the guts. He's a dominant mid=sized forward who would be All-Australian without injuries.

Sidebottom really should be playing wing/half-forward now but with such poor inside midfield depth we'll need him in the guts for a while longer, until hopefully the likes of Rantall, Macrae, McInnes etc look like becoming strong ball winners.

I'd really like to see what Isaac Quaynor is capable of as a midfielder. He is gigantic for a running flanker, and we have other options at half-back like Bianco, Ruscoe, Greenwood, Murphy and Noble. I wonder if he could get us out of a hole and develop a knack for throwing himself around in midfield and winning the footy.

The weakest links are Greenwood, Hoskin-Elliott and Sier who are probably the three beneficiaries of Treloar, Stevo and Phillips going. Greenwood is the best of the three as he's an admirable work horse, versatile and very reliable defensively. Having said that he's approaching 32 and we still haven't seen how that ACL has affected his ability to play 80 minutes. Hopefully he still has a bit to offer. Hoskin-Elliott gets away with murder in the Collingwood camp and I hate that he never gets dropped for his efforts. Hopefully in what will be his 10th season of AFL, he finds something close to his 2017-18 form and not only kick his 1.5 goals a game and be a good marking target, but also dare to get the football and try and create some goals for his mates. One last crack here for Sier. He does not have a single competitor who has a game of AFL football under his belt. If he's not stapled in the side by the end of the year, he's obviously never going to be up to it.

VFL lineup:
B: Nathan Murphy - Mark Keane - Isaac Chugg
HB: Chris Mayne - Jack Madgen - Trent Bianco
C: Finlay Macrae - Jay Rantall - Tom Wilson
HF: Reef McInnes - Darcy Cameron - Callum Brown
F: Oliver Henry - Liam McMahon - Trey Ruscoe
R: Max Lynch - Josh Thomas - Caleb Poulter
I: Anton Tohill - Jack Ginnivan

I think you've overlooked Chugg who was playing senior Tassie footy in 2020 unless I'm mistaken. From reports, his preseason will have him in contention. Might be competing for that 7th defender role.

Back