Prediction 2021 Best 22

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally I think we need Greenwood in the starting line up. He is such a strong body and hard at it.
Agree but someone needs to step up and force him out of the side, shouldn’t be best 22 by the end of the year.

A big fan of Greenwood over the journey but time’s, time and it runs out.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree but someone needs to step up and force him out of the side, shouldn’t be best 22 by the end of the year.

A big fan of Greenwood over the journey but time’s, time and it runs out.

Think he needs about 15-16 games to crack the 100 games for the Pies. Be nice to see him reach that milestone but it certainly shouldn't mean that he gets games if his form doesn't merit it.

I was extremely tough, brave and committed, so I'm authorised to comment on WHE being in the side. Unfortunately my endurance wasn't elite, so someone more qualified will have to discuss whether Sier gets a game.
I think you've got it wrong. If you had poor endurance you can discuss Sier, but you can't discuss Tom Phillips.

I can discuss Cox due to dropped marks, Brown kicking, Sier endurance. It's a shame Shaz is gone. I could discuss him due to both physical fragility and pace.

brockbruiser

All Australian
Sep 15, 2007
Tassie
AFL Club
Collingwood
B: Howe Roughead Quaynor

HB Maynard Moore Crisp

C Sidebottom Pendles Daicos

HF WHE Kelly Mihocek

F Thomas Cox Elliot

Foll Grundy De Goey Adams

Int Sier, Greenwood, Mayne, Noble

Emg: T.Brown, Bianco, Cameron, Madgen

No real new faces, but expect that to change through the year. The players I thought expendable were Mayne and Thomas but both has had big preseasons from reports, so i'm tipping they will need to be forced out.

I still really rate Greenwood, his hardness and workrate is terrific, I love him in our side.

Would love for sidey to get more time up forward and perhaps Macrae, T.Brown or Noble get some wing minutes, I think sidey under pressure and with his skills would be terrific in a congested forward line.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

HB Maynard Moore Crisp

HF WHE Kelly Mihocek

F Thomas Cox Elliot

No real new faces, but expect that to change through the year. The players I thought expendable were Mayne and Thomas but both has had big preseasons from reports, so i'm tipping they will need to be forced out.

I still really rate Greenwood, his hardness and workrate is terrific, I love him in our side.

Would love for sidey to get more time up forward and perhaps Macrae, T.Brown or Noble get some wing minutes, I think sidey under pressure and with his skills would be terrific in a congested forward line.

Hopefully with quick ball movement we won't have a congested forward line.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's still a good side that will play finals, and this :arrowdown: in big flashing lights.

Hopefully with quick ball movement we won't have a congested forward line.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
WHE has never been dropped and has played through plenty of injury. Playing through pain is a form of hardness. And don't forget he is from Sunshine!

A lot of the time WHE's role is to get outside, away from the contest so he can be an option. It would be folly for him to start trying to get inside just to please some supporters in need of a tough guy.
He is scared of contact you can see it when he plays. Playing as a half forward pressure is a must. No looking up and half steps lay the tackle.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is scared of contact you can see it when he plays. Playing as a half forward pressure is a must. No looking up and half steps lay the tackle.
Disagree. He is an outside player - his role is to get away from the contest to present an option. Watch this highlight reel. There are different forms of courage. Being prepared to run your ar$e off all arvo into pain to try to present is one way. Or just go to 0:48 when he runs backwards into a pack to mark. Even tough guys would say that this is tough.

Admittedly, his form wasn't great last year compared to previous seasons.But he will likely end as a 200 game player. No one gets to 200 games who is "scared of contact".

Disagree. He is an outside player - his role is to get away from the contest to present an option. Watch this highlight reel. There are different forms of courage. Being prepared to run your ar$e off all arvo into pain to try to present is one way. Or just go to 0:48 when he runs backwards into a pack to mark. Even tough guys would say that this is tough.

Admittedly, his form wasn't great last year compared to previous seasons.But he will likely end as a 200 game player. No one gets to 200 games who is "scared of contact".

Great video.

Most of our forwards were down last year.
Better transition from the mids in 2021 (like we did in 18/19) may see a reversal in form for WHE and other guys like JT and Elliott.

Season is about to begin. Let's have some faith in the boys. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood

HB Maynard Moore Crisp

HF WHE Kelly Mihocek

F Thomas Cox Elliot

I don't think that there would be too many arguments against this side. The depth looks a little shaky. God I hope we have a few come through and put their hands up. We can't afford any injuries.

Agree. I wouldn't call running courage, but I've seen nothing to suggest that he lacks courage. In the air he launches at packs and doesn't flinch when he's out in front with heat coming from behind.

His issue is that he's not very strong and doesn't have other ways of winning the ball regularly in a contest. Not good for a player who was playing forward in a team that moved it slowly and the forward line became a congested mess.

If we start giving our forwards more space, he can become dangerous again, becasue he moves beautifully, can find space if it's there, is clean as a whistle and uses it really well. Outside players need space. Us giving our forwards more space is a big if though and without space I think he's in trouble.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Not sure that Roughy at FB is the biggest problem for our team. He's a solid workhorse. Not great, certainly not terrible. Could also chop out in the ruck if Grundy and Cox were to go down

I don't think he works hard enough.. avoids the tough s**t man.. get some young bloke in there with a bit of muscle..

WHE has never been dropped and has played through plenty of injury. Playing through pain is a form of hardness. And don't forget he is from Sunshine!

A lot of the time WHE's role is to get outside, away from the contest so he can be an option. It would be folly for him to start trying to get inside just to please some supporters in need of a tough guy.
Agreed. His role in the side, and his skillset, are not about throwing his body into contests. People who think all players should be carbon copies don't understand the game.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

HB Maynard Moore Crisp

HF WHE Kelly Mihocek

F Thomas Cox Elliot

I like it. Still unconvinced about our forward line, but hey, we can hope.

The back 6 that most choose is absolutely rock solid. I still think that Madgen will be in the best 22, possibly with Noble moving to a wing?
Yeah if they're all fit, I think Mayne will be left out and a defender will play the defensive wing role. Think it might be Madgen, but I'd love it to be Howe, dropping back to take hangers but also giving us an option on the way out.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Getting closer to the real stuff and most spots are picking themselves. This is purely about Rd 1 for me:

Def: Roughead, Moore, Howe (will make it), Crisp, Maynard, IQ and Noble

Rock solid top 3 in the league. It’s our foundation for being competitive and won’t be mucked around with.

Mid: Grundy, Pendles, Sidebottom, Daicos, JDG, Sier and Adams/ T Brown (not as confident as Howe)

The engine room. Elite on paper, but they give you a look. For me it’s the line that differentiates between competitiveness and success. When they’re on top it sets up our ground position and acts as a domino effect for the rest of our game.

Fwd: Mihocek, Cox, Elliott, JT and WHE.

More often than not this unit will struggle unless the midfield is “on” primarily because we don’t have the chemistry. It’s the cream line. I’ve seen plenty of comments on us struggling because of how weak this line is and they’re wrong. This line can have an off day and we still win as long as they’re putting in defensively. The last 2 spots will come from Henry/ McReery/ C Brown/ Ruscoe/ Cameron/ Kelly and is the line that will be dictated to by pre-season form. I would go Henry and Ruscoe, but I reckon the club will go Brown and Kelly/ Cameron (pending Kelly’s fitness). I think we move the ball much better without the extra tall and as a transition year I’d like to see kids that we don’t know much about getting an opportunity.

Utility: Madgen/ Wilson/ Mayne/ Murphy

Basically the mr fixit of the best team. Until Tuesday Mayne was a lock, but the doors ajar. The other three need to produce tomorrow to be a chance.

One last point. That team is as talented as the 2018 GF side (possibly top 4-6 on talent still). The clear difference being how we move the ball to give our weakest line a fighting chance. In 2018 we played like the 2020 EF fast, free flowing and direct. WC were only competitive due to Nic Nat’s complete destruction of Grundy. If we bring that 75% of the time or more we make the top 4...

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you think he played well in 2019 you either don't watch our games or you're delusional. Puts on the least defensive pressure of anyone on our list.
You should write a letter to the Club. He has never been dropped. Never played a game in the VFL. Somebody needs to pay for this!

Mister_A

The Mayor
Jun 26, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne AFLW
It's the worst forward line in the competition - undebatable.

Let me introduce to you the shambles called Hawthorn's forward line.

You lot have a worse list than last year, yes, but I think Pies fans should be hopeful because you will basically win the draft two years in a row and likely finish in the 8 both of those years.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Let me introduce to you the shambles called Hawthorn's forward line.

You lot have a worse list than last year, yes, but I think Pies fans should be hopeful because you will basically win the draft two years in a row and likely finish in the 8 both of those years.
Definitely cooled down on how furious I was after the trade period ended. Our forward line is still our clear weakness but if Hoskin-Elliott can pick up on Stephenson's departure and get back to being a good goal kicking deep forward, and we can get something out of new guys like Kelly, Ruscoe, McCreery and Henry then we might be able to paddle out some good scores again.

Back